"TOP 10 REASONS Why We Know the Earth is Round" Debunked

• 145 Replies
Re: "TOP 10 REASONS Why We Know the Earth is Round" Debunked
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
Gasp, careful guys! The guy with 32000 posts in a fake science board is gonna ban you! He's so cool and well-informed, I'd really hate to get on his bad side!

What the hell went wrong in your life?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
Gasp, careful guys! The guy with 32000 posts in a fake science board is gonna ban you! He's so cool and well-informed, I'd really hate to get on his bad side!

Said his mom.  lol

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
You know, I knew about this site, but always just kind of assumed it was a parody. But there are actual people here who are actually trying to treat this like a serious debate. And then there are people like you, whose life is so empty and putrid that you have time to write 32000 posts about it. I'll say that again. 32000 posts. How many hours of your life is that dedicated to hunching over a computer, spouting on about a topic that will get you laughed out of any sane room? I can't describe the contempt I have for your sad, sniveling life. But hey, go ahead and ban me. You have no power in the real world, but you sure have plenty on your fantasy website on the internet. Congrats!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:34:59 PM by Mob »

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
You know, I knew about this site, but always just kind of assumed it was a parody. But there are actual people here who are actually trying to treat this like a serious debate. And then there are people like you, whose life is so empty and putrid that you have time to write 32000 posts about it. I'll say that again. 32000 posts. How many hours of your life is that dedicated to hunching over a computer, spouting on about a topic that will get you laughed out of any sane room? I can't describe the contempt I have for your sad, sniveling life. But hey, go ahead and ban me. You have no power in the real world, but you sure have plenty on your fantasy website on the internet. Congrats!

Stick around. You sound like you could be a lot of fun! (Please don't ban this guy!)
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
He sounds like he could play the skin flute, if you know what I mean. 

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »

This isn't a fake science board, lurk moar noob.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »

Just for the record, many lulz are being had.

I'm anti-judaism.

lodac3

• ^this is what the real earth looks like bois
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
The earth is FLAT

?

OwnArq

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
Flat Earth society rocks!  ;D
What, Earth flat? YEs.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »

This is a real science forum.

One of the best ones I have ever posted on.

Flat Earth society rocks!  ;D

It does.
I'm anti-judaism.

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »
I can't be arsed to read the previous 4 pages, but has anyone pointed out you can call it Debunking if all you do is make baseless claims and say all they are doing is assuming, when you are assuming yourselves.

"Henry is assuming that because all other planets are spheres earth must be too"
'its simple, the Earth is just different'
Assumes op, that is not Debunking that is empty assertions, please try to debunk it again but this time enough evidence per point
"Religion is the opium of the people"
Karl Marx

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

LogicIsntJustARapper

• *sigh* sometimes i really just hate people.
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm new to this site and unfamiliar with a lot of the beliefs of Flat Earther's share but wouldn't a "flat earth" imply that there is an edge? And if there was one, wouldn't we have found it by now? Along with that how do you explain the shadow on the moon? It is round because of the Earths round shape. I have also been on many planes in my life and seen for myself the curvature of the Earth. I love to debate and welcome any sort of discussion on these things but a lot of the arguments i'm seeing here are just between people who refuse to alter their opinions. If someone can give me ACTUAL answers to these questions and not just point fingers, i'd be happy to discuss.

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
Shadow of the Aetheric Wind

To say nothing else of this, that would make a really awesome name for some sort of Folk Metal band.

jamesthomas

• i am just trying to figure things out
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
For number 10, in order for your theory to work, All of the continents would have to be on one side of the earth in the pictures. But obviously they arent...

« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
I'm new here and I have no idea how anyone could possibly think the earth is flat. What is the point? E evidence against it is insurmountable, to say the least. FEers simply don't look at the evidence and just insist it is flat. I am happy to refute any arguments FEers come up with, with sound, logical evidence.

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
Howdy boys. I have a question are you ready..... so how can the earth be flat, if we literally went into space and took photos of the earth and found that it is not flat.... explain

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
Howdy boys. I have a question are you ready..... so how can the earth be flat, if we literally went into space and took photos of the earth and found that it is not flat.... explain

Photoshop. 

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »

I find all of this debate very interesting. So if there earth was a disc or flat (to be honest, I think the arguments on both sides are interesting) how does a plane flying from China heading East still end up reaching the USA? Assuming the Earth was flat, wouldn't the plane need to fly around the butt edge of the earth and then to the back side? It seems like it would be the same as trying to fly around an Earth sized piece of plywood. Your explanation on this would be helpful.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Please read the FAQ and then links in my sig for a full understanding of FET.

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
If The Earth is under a Glass Dome. How do meteorites hit the Earth ?

Another assumption. This time, he's assuming that FE geography is just a Mercator map. It's not. The Earth is a disk centered around the North Pole, which would provide the same effect.

7. Magellan

Again, the Earth isn't in the shape of a Mercator map. That would be silly. Magellan and many others simply made a circle around the disk of the Earth.

8. The Horizon

This is just a perspective effect. First of all, apparently large waves will obscure apparently small objects. Therefore, looking out long distances over water you will of course be unable to see land on the other side. In addition, refraction has an effect. Some flat Earthers theorize an electromagnetic acceleration which appears to bend light upward.

9. Eclipses

Eclipses are caused by the sun going behind the moon, or vice versa. It's that simple. Once again, Henry is assuming everything is exactly the same.

10. Photographic Evidence

Most photographic evidence actually demonstrates what we would expect to see on a disk shaped, flat Earth: a circle with little to no apparent curvature. Add in camera distortion, and that's our explanation for low Earth photos. As for photos like the famous Blue Marble, that the space agencies of the World are involved in a conspiracy is depressingly obvious if you look at the evidence.

____

I'd appreciate it if you didn't respond to this thread, or if a mod locked it. It's not up for discussion. This is just to let newcomers know that they can't 'destroy FES with a single video' as so many hope to. It's not that easy. Sorry.

Seriously, this isn't a debate thread. If you want to debate it, feel free to make a new thread. I'm not responding to questions or concerns in this one.
[/quote]

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
If The Earth is under a Glass Dome. How do meteorites hit the Earth ?

Another assumption. This time, he's assuming that FE geography is just a Mercator map. It's not. The Earth is a disk centered around the North Pole, which would provide the same effect.

7. Magellan

Again, the Earth isn't in the shape of a Mercator map. That would be silly. Magellan and many others simply made a circle around the disk of the Earth.

8. The Horizon

This is just a perspective effect. First of all, apparently large waves will obscure apparently small objects. Therefore, looking out long distances over water you will of course be unable to see land on the other side. In addition, refraction has an effect. Some flat Earthers theorize an electromagnetic acceleration which appears to bend light upward.

9. Eclipses

Eclipses are caused by the sun going behind the moon, or vice versa. It's that simple. Once again, Henry is assuming everything is exactly the same.

Most photographic evidence actually demonstrates what we would expect to see on a disk shaped, flat Earth: a circle with little to no apparent curvature. Add in camera distortion, and that's our explanation for low Earth photos. As for photos like the famous Blue Marble, that the space agencies of the World are involved in a conspiracy is depressingly obvious if you look at the evidence.

____

I'd appreciate it if you didn't respond to this thread, or if a mod locked it. It's not up for discussion. This is just to let newcomers know that they can't 'destroy FES with a single video' as so many hope to. It's not that easy. Sorry.

Seriously, this isn't a debate thread. If you want to debate it, feel free to make a new thread. I'm not responding to questions or concerns in this one.
[/quote]
We get this video a lot, so I thought I'd make an easily found thread debunking it. If a mod could sticky this that would be awesome.

1. Other planets are round

According to Flat Earth Theory, the Earth and other planets are not really the same type of celestial body. To put it another way, which I'm sure everyone everywhere will take offense to, the Earth is different.

2. Time Zones

This is the first of a trend in this video, in which Henry (the host of MinutePhysics, for those not subscribed) assumes that the Flat Earth is exactly the same as the Round Earth in every way except for shape. The sun works in a manner similar to a spotlight in Flat Earth Theory, which is why time zones exist. When the Sun isn't pointing overhead, it's nighttime.

3. The Coriolis Effect

Once again, Henry is making assumptions. There are a few differing opinions about this, as Flat Earth Theory is not a unified theory. Some people doubt the existence of Coriolis as anything more than a theorized force, as the evidence for it is largely contrived. Others have various explanations for it, such as the Shadow of the Aetheric Wind theorized by myself.

4. Triangles

This is little more than conjecture. It is literally impossible to perform this experiment on the scale required.

5. The Sun

Henry is assuming again. The Sun's apparent movement is caused by the Sun actually moving. As for Eratosthenes's famous experiment to measure the diameter of the Earth, that assumes a Round Earth. If we assume a Flat Earth, the same experiment gives us the distance to the Sun.

6. Stars Change

7. Magellan

8. The Horizon

9. Eclipses

____

Re: Meteorites Getting through the Dome/ How do they get through and hit the Ear

« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2018, 12:25:03 AM »
Serisously?

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2018, 05:48:38 AM »
What is worse: People belive the earth is flat or: There is a website to discuss this

« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »
Thank you! You used there so called "science" against them, in a way that makes sense to those thick-skulled rounders, and is actually true! You truly are a hero to us true earthlings! :) <3

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »
Despite the spread of "Roundism" over the last two thousand years, some people cling tenaciously to the idea of a Flat Earth.  But, in all that time ...
.... nobody's found The Edge (and it should be in every direction if you go far enough),
.... nobody's demonstrated any of the optical effects we'd expect if the planet were flat between the US and Europe,
....  space exploration has demonstrated, with undeniable evidence, things that would be impossible if the Earth were flat,
.... more and more evidence, such as aerial photography, in just the last century, that disproves the notion of a flat earth,
.... and, in the meantime, no serious advances in developing evidence of a flat earth.