Micro- and Macroevolution

• 35 Replies
?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 12:45:37 PM »
Quote from: "Knight"
Erasmus, not to draw away from the topic of your debate too much (again), but I was wondering what text there is on the subject of evolution that you would suggest to somebody who doesn't know much about it at all (a student that went to a Kansas high school).  I'm looking for a book that I can read that gives a good explanation of evolution in an easy to understand format.

Honestly I tend to eschew the easy-to-understand stuff because I find it too often draws improper analogies or makes inappropriate simplifications.  If I didn't have to work at it, I don't feel that I really understand it.

However I can have a look and ask around.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »
OK, Knight,

I'm playing the Devils Avocado here to my avowed ID position, but, any decent and preferebly recent elementary level or better  tome on paleontology should provide sufficient data in a concise format comprehensible enough for a layperson to follow.  

Unless a Kansas based Schooling truly is such that you are of semi-literate status; in which case, you aren't catching much of this are you?

Is there a "See Jane Run" version of "The Origin of Species"?

"..crashing hard into the Secret Wind"...................Peter Murphy
 believe that; the Earth is flat until such time as I stand within the Space Station and personally see that it is a Globe.
or that the Earth is a sphere until such time as I stand upon the Icewall and personally see that it is a Flat Disk.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 03:50:42 PM »
No no no... I'm not semi-literate.  The point that I was bringing up is that I have a very limited knowledge about the theory of evolution (I think I found a book to read to introduce me to the concepts, by the way).  As far as I can remember, I didn't really learn much about the theory in high school biology.  Maybe nothing.  I asked for an easy-to-understand book simply because I like to read things that are...well, easy to understand and not too confusing for me to want to read.
ooyakasha!

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 04:51:26 PM »
If you can get over your distaste for Richard Dawkins, I strongly recommend his books The Selfish Gene and Climbing Mount Improbable. The first deals with the gene, rather than the individual or the species, as the basic unit of natural selection. Dawkins explains how genes simulataneously compete and work as a team, how altruism arises among inherently 'selfish' individuals, and gives a good summary of the basic principles of evolution along with a cursory glance at abiogenesis in general. Climbing Mount Improbable deals more with Intelligent Design. Dawkins argues that life does indeed show evidence of design, but that it shows the natural design of cumulative selection rather than purposeful intelligent design- life was made by a 'blind watchmaker', to steal the central metaphor from another of his books. Dawkins is among the best writers of science for lay people. Evolution is an extremely elegant theory, and Dawkins really makes you go "wow!" It's not a simple subject, so don't expect simple books, but the books are made very easy to follow by Dawkins' gift for perfect scientific analogy. He takes you through his logic slowly, never making any sudden leaps in logic, and introduces concepts bit by bit.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »
Just a passing thought on macro Evo;

I know that you Darwinists are evolved from chimp-like apes, but, can certain individuals Devolve?

I'm thinking GWB in particular.
 believe that; the Earth is flat until such time as I stand within the Space Station and personally see that it is a Globe.
or that the Earth is a sphere until such time as I stand upon the Icewall and personally see that it is a Flat Disk.

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 09:30:33 PM »
No, but some individuals may exhibit traits that are throwbacks to their ancestors, such as people born with tails, or in the case of GWB, with chimpoid features and intelligence.  :wink:
the cake is a lie