DirecTV (not spam)

• 41 Replies
DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 11:12:48 AM »
Quote from: "golphs"
2x a year I have to jump up on the roof and jolt the dish a little bit to get it pointed the right way to pick up the signal.  The logical reason for this would be to say, "tilting of the earth on it's axis".   It's just easier, you know.

What you mean to say is "One logical reasion for this would be tilting of the earth on it's axis."

There are obviously others. For example, the programming of the dish is written in such a way to make you do that. Also perfectly logical.

DANGIT! I KNOW WHEN IM BEING PATRONISED!

The alien argument is a "logical" one.

Really, though, we just want you guys to stop talking about the conspiracy - especially the motive business - like it matters. It doesn't, at all. There could be billions of possible motives, and even ones that are so out there and unlikely - like my alien motive - are still possible, and still valid.

The conspiracy motive question is so old, so tired, and so useless. Just get over it.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
Quote from: "golphs"
2x a year I have to jump up on the roof and jolt the dish a little bit to get it pointed the right way to pick up the signal.  The logical reason for this would be to say, "tilting of the earth on it's axis".   It's just easier, you know.

What you mean to say is "One logical reasion for this would be tilting of the earth on it's axis."

There are obviously others. For example, the programming of the dish is written in such a way to make you do that. Also perfectly logical.
No, it's not perfectly logical.  

Logical=Based on earlier or otherwise known statements, events, or conditions.
nvaders for Truth....Countdown to Extinction

Tides are Bogus.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 11:35:44 AM »
And I know (bold is fun!) that the mechanisms I have described in this thread are plausible, which makes my assertion that my antenna system is logical, true.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 03:21:29 AM »
I can indeed prove that the reciever in my dish has no physical means of transmitting, and only recieving. Considering I built the fucking thing from a Jcar kit. And no, im not brainwashed into not knowing how simple electronic recievers work. If I still had it i'd scan the circut diagram.
Not only that, the dish itself has NO OTHER reading equipment on it, it is literally JUST an aluminium rod screwed to a dish with 4 little 10mm screws, and two larger 30mm bolts holding it to the steel frame in the roof. These arent magic government screws either. Just your regular old 25cent bunnings solid steel screws.

Its totally illogical to think your dish is programmed to know where its pointed, when its pointed. Stop trying to use that crap as your basis for argument.. i mean... contradiction.

Also, on a perfectly flat earth you would still have many line of sight problems. Unless you want to deny the existance of mountains, hills, tall buildings, trees, etc. Towers arent all that tall by the way.
f you seriously believe that the Earth is flat, go get a CAT scan and book yourself in for some good ol' immediate Endoscopic Brain Tumor Surgery.

otherwise, its a great joke you have going

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 04:07:56 PM »
Quote from: "Mad_Aussie"
I can indeed prove that the reciever in my dish has no physical means of transmitting, and only recieving.

Thanks for the useless tidbit. I never said your dish transmits anything.

Not only that, the dish itself has NO OTHER reading equipment on it,

The angle and positioning of the dish could be determined from the signal and interpreted by your reciever box. The physical waveform of the signal will look different depending on the orientation of the dish. Most of the serious electronics would be located in your reciever box.

Its totally illogical to think your dish is programmed to know where its pointed, when its pointed.

Nope.

Also, on a perfectly flat earth you would still have many line of sight problems. Unless you want to deny the existance of mountains, hills, tall buildings, trees, etc. Towers arent all that tall by the way.

Which is why we have more than one tower. Like I said, your "satellite" tv would work anywhere a cell phone works, and it's not like line of sight is any less of any issue on the round earth than it is the flat one.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 07:41:43 PM »
except for the fact that there isnt thousands of radio transmitters all over the place. Not enough to transmit the amount of data you're talking about.
f you seriously believe that the Earth is flat, go get a CAT scan and book yourself in for some good ol' immediate Endoscopic Brain Tumor Surgery.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
Dishes can be programmed now?

You could determine the strenght of the signal, but there is no way for the receiver box to determine the exact angle and implacement of the dish simply from the signal itself.

As for the dishes being uneeded and there simply so that people will feel better. Take your dish of the roof and try watching satellite TV. For some reason, it will stop working, even though the dish is unecessary, weird huh?
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 04:05:32 PM »
except for the fact that there isnt thousands of radio transmitters all over the place.

Yes there are...
Not enough to transmit the amount of data you're talking about.

What do you mean? In the RE model your satellites are - you guessed it - big radio transmitters. Data volume is not an issue here.
Dishes can be programmed now?

More that the reciever box is programmed to interpret the signal coming from said dish.
You could determine the strenght of the signal, but there is no way for the receiver box to determine the exact angle and implacement of the dish simply from the signal itself.

The strength of the signal would be directly related to the placement and positioning of the dish. It wouldn't need to be exact.

As for the dishes being uneeded and there simply so that people will feel better. Take your dish of the roof and try watching satellite TV. For some reason, it will stop working, even though the dish is unecessary, weird huh?

I didn't say the entire dish assembly was unnecessary, only that the parabolic reflector portion is for show. The actual reciever portion of the dish assembly is still used like any other radio antenna on a car or cell phone.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 10:01:21 PM »
And just to point out, the signal your car gets on its antenna is a totally different signal a sattelite dish recieves.

This should be interesting.

How are they totally different?

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »
satellite dishes pick up microwaves.

your car radio doesnt.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »

your car radio doesnt.

And what is the difference between a radio wave and a microwave?

Theyre physically the same. The term microwave is just the arbitrary name assigned to waves of a certain frequency range. There isn't actually any difference, which is why the RE model claims different satellites transmit either. They're interchangeable.

DirecTV (not spam)
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

your car radio doesnt.

Why am I not surprised how dumb you are...  :roll: