FIXED STARS - end of heliocentric

• 12 Replies
FIXED STARS - end of heliocentric
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
I've got another simple question.

Why do we see billions of fixed stars as Polaris etc. ?

I dont care if they are suns or whatever and if they really exist or we see a picture of long ago. I ask why these stars do not apparently revolve around us due to the supposed rotation of the Earth.

Maybe because they and we are really fixed? Lol. :-B

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
Re: FIXED STARS - end of heliocentric
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
TrueMyth. Stand directly underneath a light. Look up straight at it. Now, spin in circles. If you do it right, the light should not move. Unless you don't know how to spin in circles properly.

TrueMyth. Look at an NBA player. Watch them spin a basketball on their fingers. Notice how their fingers are (sort of) staying in the same place on the ball, even though it is moving?

TrueMyth.  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+does+polaris+not+move

Oh, wait, I forgot that you are against any learning that involves wrapping your head around something you don't understand. I apologize.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
Stellar aberration is a silly explanation. The shift in the light coming from distant stars, between two different periods, is not due to Earth's revolution and change of position, but due to refraction as light passes through the atmosphere. Pressure and temperature affecting the result.

;D ;D ;D

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:12:14 AM »
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Lol, I misread the OP.

"why DO (not don't) we see billions of fixed stars..."

.....because....the Earth...now stay with me on this one.....is rotating.....on its axis....and around the sun......Spinning means spinning.

If you spin in circles, does everything stay still for you? No. They go around in circles in your field of view.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »
I ask why these stars do not apparently revolve around us due to the supposed rotation of the Earth.

You don't get out much do you?
#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
I ask why these stars do not apparently revolve around us due to the supposed rotation of the Earth.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage

Are the following facts....lies? Is Earth revolution the only answer to stellar aberration? Is heliocentrism the only answer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:05:39 AM »

Are the following facts....lies? Is Earth revolution the only answer to stellar aberration? Is heliocentrism the only answer?

What is the relevance of these sources? 

Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

You'd never see a regular shift in position based on atmospheric effects, because those are essentially random.

Also I think you are confused about what a fixed star is in astronomy. As I recall they are very distant stars that don't exhibit parallax shift. It has nothing to do with whether the star appears to move throughout the night.

The apparent motions of stars over the course of a day are totally consistent with a round, rotating Earth. Under this model you'd expect there to be a point directly above each pole that doesn't seem to move. You'd also expect to see the stars apparently move counter clockwise above the North pole, and clockwise above the South pole, which is exactly what we do see.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

I dont care if they are suns or whatever and if they really exist or we see a picture of long ago. I ask why these stars do not apparently revolve around us due to the supposed rotation of the Earth.

To account for this round-earthers have to believe that stars are mindbogglingly far away 

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »
FET never proved they were as close as you say they are.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »

To account for this round-earthers have to believe that stars are mindbogglingly far away

It seems to be the only explanation that fits all the data. I have no problem accepting another explanation that fits as well or better and makes testable predictions. Got one?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »

True Myth, you do not seem to understand the term 'fixed stars'.

In antiquity the term was used to differentiate stars that maintained the same relative positions to each other to the 'wandering stars' that changed position each night. The 'wandering stars' or planetes we now refer to as planets.

The term was also used, in Newtons day, for an inertial frame of reference.

Either way 'fixed stars' still move across the night sky from east to west as you can tell just by spending an a little while out of doors. Also all stars have parallax and their own proper motion.