Radial velocity or Doppler method
Transit method
Transit Timing Variation
Gravitational microlensing
Astrometry
Pulsar timing
Circumstellar disks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasolar_planet#Confirmed_discoveries

Three exoplanets orbiting a young star (HR 8799) 129 light years away are captured using Keck Observatory near-infrared adaptive optics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

all of these techniques are used to varying degrees of success and now we have 861 confirmed exoplanets with  2,321 planetary candidates.

so what are they in FE? do they exist in FE or are astronomers actively lying (part of the conspiracy) to help further the "round earth agenda"

i say this because we are finding more and more as well as increasingly more earth size and smaller planets. we have even viewed  the composition of the atmosphere of the bigger of the planets by looking at the spectrum of light it reflects of its atmosphere.
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2293674/How-discovery-water-carbon-monoxide-vapor-surrounding-alien-planet-hold-key-Earth-formed.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/mar/14/astronomers-planet-water-vapour

so FE views on the subject would be much appreciated although do expect me to question discrepancies inconsistencies  and general bullshit spouted. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: A whole new world
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
On come on Thaggy. What the hell are they teaching you?
129 light years for crying out loud.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
i forgot to add with all due respect sceptic stay out of this thread. you last coment has nothing to do with the OP or add anything to the discusion. i respectfully ask you to stay out of this discussion.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
i forgot to add with all due respect sceptic stay out of this thread. you last coment has nothing to do with the OP or add anything to the discusion. i respectfully ask you to stay out of this discussion.
I can't  and won't comply with that Thaggy. If you have a problem with that, take it up with admin.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
Disputing a fact you cavalierly tossed out does seem to be on topic.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
I dont see any dispute. scepty asked Pythagoras what the hell were they teaching him. Its not off topic but it really doesnt say anything. Everyone knows scepty's mind cant grasp the concept of the sun being more than a few miles away. 129 light years is clearly a shock to him.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »
so not a single FEr has any explanations? hmmmm..........

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
Sorry, haven't been around much lately. Between jobs and studying, I really have very little free time. And I'm spending most of that time playing Dishonored, which is turning out to be an excellent game.

Anyway, I have no reason to believe they are anything other than what astronomers claim they are. With that many methods, claiming they're wrong would be like ID'ers claiming that archaeologists are wrong about the ages of things.

With that said, I really have very little else to say about these planets. I'm not an astronomer, have never taken a course in astronomy (although I may have an opportunity next year), and don't really even see what the problem is.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
their is just no mention of them in FE and considering they are becoming a ever bigger parts of astronomy i just though FE might have a take on this important field of research.

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
Anyway, I have no reason to believe they are anything other than what astronomers claim they are.
and don't really even see what the problem is.
The problem is that most of those planets are even bigger than Jupiter, and are orbiting around stars even bigger than the Sun, and they are away tens or hundreds of light years, and as immediate consequence all the stars and galaxies in the sky are huge celestial bodies tens or hundreds or thousands or... millions/billions L/Y away, and the Sun too is 150 millions km away... and all that is absolutely incompatible with a flat Earth.
Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
A: Look out the window!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
A whole new world... that's how I felt when I looked into flat earth theory, nice thread :)

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
A whole new world... that's how I felt when I looked into flat earth theory, nice thread :)

Clearly reading the title of a topic is all you need to comment.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Clearly

After scepti's first response I didn't think anything more needed to be said. You'd have to be an idiot to believe we can see planets 129 light years away, as in that image. Where's the pictures of Alpha Centauri system, a mere 4 light years away? Surely we should be able to see the aliens in that system, maybe take pictures of their faces? Obviously angular resolution is no problem..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:20:28 AM by Rip Riley »

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
Clearly

After scepti's first response I didn't think anything more needed to be said. You'd have to be an idiot to believe we can see planets 129 light years away, as in that image. Where's the pictures of Alpha Centauri system, a mere 4 light years away? Surely we should be able to see the aliens in that system, maybe take pictures of their faces? Obviously angular resolution is no problem..
[/quote

I dont think you understand how these pictures are taken, I'm no scientists but i think they're taken when a planet transits across the star they are orbiting (from our perspective), you can measure the size by seeing how much light it blocks out? not sure. They aren't using telescopes...

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Clearly

You dont seem to know what angular resolution means. im not surprised you have showed your ignorance of how perspective and sight works before. Next time you think you shouldnt say anything. don't.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
Clearly

so you didn't actually read my OP properly then? we don't find planets by taking a photo of them. read properly then try commenting again.  and as for the image. its not a photo like i one would take of a normal object. i quite clearly state how it was taken. care to provide any evidence of it not being possible?

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
No I didn't read your OP properly, forgive me for not caring too much. :)

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
then don't comment. easy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:08:30 PM by Pythagoras »

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Well generally when I do comment, and express an opinion, you and other friends are quick to point out how stupid I am, and how wrong I am, and how little I understand about the world or perspective or any other issue, so forgive me for not taking your post super seriously and trying to respond seriously, knowing that I would only be belittled for doing so.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
The picture Thaggy put up, looks like someone has put a cigarette through some nylon cloth or something like that and it's burned a hole through it to show the cigarette ash.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
The picture Thaggy put up, looks like someone has put a cigarette through some nylon cloth or something like that and it's burned a hole through it to show the cigarette ash.

care to replicate your claim?

any way as i said. photos are not used to find these planets. various different observation methods descried in the op are used to find them. this is done by many many different astronomers (not sure how many) with their findings reviewed, scrutanised and cross referenced by their peers.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »

any way as i said. photos are not used to find these planets. various different observation methods descried in the op are used to find them. this is done by many many different astronomers (not sure how many) with their findings reviewed, scrutanised and cross referenced by their peers.
You know what. For anyone viewing what NASA puts out as planets and what not, all you have to do is look at the pictures and instead of thinking, "oh look, a pretty planet in all it's colour and glory" just look at it as it probably is, which is pictures of carpet, lino and various stuff like that, shown through microscopes or circular lenses.

They must be sitting back and wetting themselves laughing at all the people going, "wooooooo, amazing pictures took from hubble bubble" or whatever other frigging super telescope they have.
Oh and let's not forget little voyager and his pals, we can't forget those, can we? ;)

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

You know what. For anyone viewing what NASA puts out as planets and what not, all you have to do is look at the pictures and instead of thinking, "oh look, a pretty planet in all it's colour and glory" just look at it as it probably is, which is pictures of carpet, lino and various stuff like that, shown through microscopes or circular lenses.

They must be sitting back and wetting themselves laughing at all the people going, "wooooooo, amazing pictures took from hubble bubble" or whatever other frigging super telescope they have.
Oh and let's not forget little voyager and his pals, we can't forget those, can we? ;)

whats NASA got to do with this? ???
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:32:19 PM by Pythagoras »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

whats NASA got to do with this? ???
Sorry, you just sub contract for them. Forget I mentioned it Thaggy. I won't mention them again in this topic.  :)

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
are you trying to imply that all astronomers on earth are part of the NASA conspiracy?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
are you trying to imply that all astronomers on earth are part of the NASA conspiracy?
No Thaggy. Just you at the minute.

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
im not an astronomer. i wouldn't even call myself a amateur astronomer.  not sure what you are getting at.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
im not an astronomer. i wouldn't even call myself a amateur astronomer.  not sure what you are getting at.
Chill out Thaggy, I'm just messing with you. ;)

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
Well generally when I do comment, and express an opinion, you and other friends are quick to point out how stupid I am, and how wrong I am, and how little I understand about the world or perspective or any other issue, so forgive me for not taking your post super seriously and trying to respond seriously, knowing that I would only be belittled for doing so.

Next time you could avoind using insults in your post and see if you get better answers.

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
Okay, sorry bud.