I told my Physics teacher about the Flat Earth Society...

• 101 Replies
?

EduardoVS-BR

• Flat Earth Editor
  • I respect both theories.
I told my Physics teacher about the Flat Earth Society...
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think this subject is not off-context. Then it should "fit" in Flat Earth General.

Ok, you all know that it is uncomfortable to express your opinions about earth's shape in our current society, where round earth is considered an absolute and unquestionable truth. I have did it in school, and that didn't went so well.

I'm in the first year of the High School, and here we are taught obviously that the world is round, this is a recurrent theme in Geography and Physics. But I will speak specifically about my discussions with my Physics teacher on earth's shape.

You know, we have to frequently "swallow" the idea that the earth is round and orbits the sun, as well that the sun is a star, space travel is possible, NASA doesn't lie etc. Some weeks ago, I was listening to these things told by my teacher and then I raised my hand and said: "Teacher, I know a group, a kind of organization, which believes that the earth is flat, and NASA fakes its images.". He answered: "Really? They're ignorant. It was proved that the earth is round. I can think about the possibility of geocentric models, maybe. But a flat earth is impossible."

But the most notable talk ocurred today. We were "learning" the round earth model once again, and the teacher was explaining eclipses. Ok there are internal "theories" here that we found as impossible, so I mentioned bodies like antimoon and antichtone; I could not resist to do it just to kidding, since I remember FES all the time (yes, I regretted it, I'm not a naughty student). After this, the teacher said: "If you want to joke, get out of my class, do not present these absurd theories on a serious Physics class." Then I stayed quiet for a long time. After the class, when everyone had left, I stayed talking alone with my teacher for about 5 minutes. Our talk was like it:

- Me: "Why are you so intolerant towards alternative earth's shape models?"
- He: "Because it was completely evidenced that earth is a sphere, the man went to the moon, and so we can't contest this."
- Me: "Well, there was noticed a number of failures in moon landing images, I think it's fake."
- He: "It's not the only proof. It was proved with several tests associated to perspective, reflection, shadow and many other physic phenomenons. This thing you are talking about is nonsense."
- Me: "But these are not my statements only. I have already told you about a group called the Flat Earth Society, which believes that nobody proved that the earth is round yet. I think you should take a look on their site..."
- He: "I will not take any look. I can see: this should be a lot of fanciful and irrational statements. I can't think on a flat earth..."
- Me: "It is owned by a guy named Daniel Shenton since years ago."
- He: "Who is that Daniel Shenton? Had he ever speech? Where is he?"
- Me: "He occasionaly posts on the Internet."
- He: "On the Internet? You should be cient that the Internet is full of bullshit."
- Me: "But there are many users in their forums with serious and consistent theories, and..."
- He: "If you want to discuss earth's shape, go back to 600 years ago, go talk with Galileo Galilei. Flat Earth is a myth, used historically by the pope and other individuals to hidden things from people."
- Me: "Anyway, I think you shoud be more open to new ideas. I don't believe completely in these theories about a flat earth. I think it's improbable, but not impossible."
- He: "No, it's impossible. Do not try to retake solved debates of the past..."
- Me: "Ok, teacher. I have to go for now. Bye."

He was laughing most of the time. I said "bye", but he did not replied.

I found interesting to post it here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:25:58 PM by EduardoVS-BR »

"People are like books: they need to be read. Don't stop reading on the cover, for there is a lot of wealth hidden beyond non-attractive covers." - Fábio de Melo

?

Thork

Re: I told my Physics teacher about the Flat Earth Society...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
I'd have had your teacher eating his words.

For next time, even Galileo admitted the sun-centric model was wrong.
Quote from: Galileo Galilei (22nd June 1633)
I, Galileo Galilei, son of the late Vincenzio Galilei of Florence, aged seventy years, being brought personally to judgment, and kneeling before you, Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lords Cardinals, General Inquisitors of the Universal Christian Commonwealth against heretical depravity, having before my eyes the Holy Gospels which I touch with my own hands, swear that I have always believed, and, with the help of God, will in future believe, every article which the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Rome holds, teaches, and preaches. But because I have been enjoined, by this Holy Office, altogether to abandon the false opinion which maintains that the Sun is the centre and immovable, and forbidden to hold, defend, or teach, the said false doctrine in any manner ... I am willing to remove from the minds of your Eminences, and of every Catholic Christian, this vehement suspicion rightly entertained towards me, therefore, with a sincere heart and unfeigned faith, I abjure, curse, and detest the said errors and heresies, and generally every other error and sect contrary to the said Holy Church; and I swear that I will never more in future say, or assert anything, verbally or in writing, which may give rise to a similar suspicion of me; but that if I shall know any heretic, or any one suspected of heresy, I will denounce him to this Holy Office, or to the Inquisitor and Ordinary of the place in which I may be. I swear, moreover, and promise that I will fulfil and observe fully all the penances which have been or shall be laid on me by this Holy Office. But if it shall happen that I violate any of my said promises, oaths, and protestations (which God avert!), I subject myself to all the pains and punishments which have been decreed and promulgated by the sacred canons and other general and particular constitutions against delinquents of this description. So, may God help me, and His Holy Gospels, which I touch with my own hands, I, the above named Galileo Galilei, have abjured, sworn, promised, and bound myself as above; and, in witness thereof, with my own hand have subscribed this present writing of my abjuration, which I have recited word for word.

Also interesting that he accuses flat earth theory of being a conspiracy. If that is the case, ask him, "What would they gain from hiding the shape of the earth from people?". 

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
I'd have had your teacher eating his words.

For next time, even Galileo admitted the sun-centric model was wrong.
Quote from: Galileo Galilei (22nd June 1633)
I, Galileo Galilei, son of the late Vincenzio Galilei of Florence, aged seventy years, being brought personally to judgment, and kneeling before you, Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lords Cardinals, General Inquisitors of the Universal Christian Commonwealth against heretical depravity, having before my eyes the Holy Gospels which I touch with my own hands, swear that I have always believed, and, with the help of God, will in future believe, every article which the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church of Rome holds, teaches, and preaches. But because I have been enjoined, by this Holy Office, altogether to abandon the false opinion which maintains that the Sun is the centre and immovable, and forbidden to hold, defend, or teach, the said false doctrine in any manner ... I am willing to remove from the minds of your Eminences, and of every Catholic Christian, this vehement suspicion rightly entertained towards me, therefore, with a sincere heart and unfeigned faith, I abjure, curse, and detest the said errors and heresies, and generally every other error and sect contrary to the said Holy Church; and I swear that I will never more in future say, or assert anything, verbally or in writing, which may give rise to a similar suspicion of me; but that if I shall know any heretic, or any one suspected of heresy, I will denounce him to this Holy Office, or to the Inquisitor and Ordinary of the place in which I may be. I swear, moreover, and promise that I will fulfil and observe fully all the penances which have been or shall be laid on me by this Holy Office. But if it shall happen that I violate any of my said promises, oaths, and protestations (which God avert!), I subject myself to all the pains and punishments which have been decreed and promulgated by the sacred canons and other general and particular constitutions against delinquents of this description. So, may God help me, and His Holy Gospels, which I touch with my own hands, I, the above named Galileo Galilei, have abjured, sworn, promised, and bound myself as above; and, in witness thereof, with my own hand have subscribed this present writing of my abjuration, which I have recited word for word.

Also interesting that he accuses flat earth theory of being a conspiracy. If that is the case, ask him, "What would they gain from hiding the shape of the earth from people?".

Regarding Galileo, I am sure that you would say RE is correct if someone threatened to kill you for your belief in FE. Galileo was a man, and I think he honestly didn't care if the church wouldn't take it, so he rolled with whatever they wanted.

If you came into my house with all your buds threatening to kill me unless I recant RE, of course I would recant. It has absolutely no bearing on my life, and it doesn't affect anything I do. Same with the big bang. I honestly don't think science is worth more than life. I am pretty sure Galileo thought the same.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
- He: "If you want to discuss earth's shape, go back to 600 years ago, go talk with Galileo Galiliei. Flat Earth is a myth, used historically by the pope and other individuals to hidden things from people."

Your teacher is ignorant.  The pope never taught that the Earth is flat.  Galileo's argument with the Church had nothing to do with its shape.  This is all anti-FE propaganda.  Your teacher is just another sheep who blindly follows what he's told.

Please tell him I said that.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
I bet he googled it after. Look out for the angry noob claiming to be a teacher.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:47:14 AM »
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think this subject is not off-context. Then it should "fit" in Flat Earth General.

Ok, you all know that it is uncomfortable to express your opinions about earth's shape in our current society, where round earth is considered an absolute and unquestionable truth. I have did it in school, and that didn't went so well.

I'm in the first year of the High School, and here we are taught obviously that the world is round, this is a recurrent theme in Geography and Physics. But I will speak specifically about my discussions with my Physics teacher on earth's shape.

You know, we have to frequently "swallow" the idea that the earth is round and orbits the sun, as well that the sun is a star, space travel is possible, NASA doesn't lie etc. Some weeks ago, I was listening to these things told by my teacher and then I raised my hand and said: "Teacher, I know a group, a kind of organization, which believes that the earth is flat, and NASA fakes its images.". He answered: "Really? They're ignorant. It was proved that the earth is round. I can think about the possibility of geocentric models, maybe. But a flat earth is impossible."

But the most notable talk ocurred today. We were "learning" the round earth model once again, and the teacher was explaining eclipses. Ok there are internal "theories" here that we found as impossible, so I mentioned bodies like antimoon and antichtone; I could not resist to do it just to kidding, since I remember FES all the time (yes, I regretted it, I'm not a naughty student). After this, the teacher said: "If you want to joke, get out of my class, do not present these absurd theories on a serious Physics class." Then I stayed quiet for a long time. After the class, when everyone had left, I stayed talking alone with my teacher for about 5 minutes. Our talk was like it:

- He: "Because it was completely evidenced that earth is a sphere, the man went to the moon, and so we can't contest this."
- Me: "Well, there was noticed a number of failures in moon landing images, I think it's fake."
- He: "It's not the only proof. It was proved with several tests associated to perspective, reflection, shadow and many other physic phenomenons. This thing you are talking about is nonsense."
- Me: "But these are not my statements only. I have already told you about a group called the Flat Earth Society, which believes that nobody proved that the earth is round yet. I think you should take a look on their site..."
- He: "I will not take any look. I can see: this should be a lot of fanciful and irrational statements. I can't think on a flat earth..."
- He: "On the Internet? You should be cient that the Internet is full of bullshit."
- Me: "But there are many users in their forums with serious and consistent theories, and..."
- He: "If you want to discuss earth's shape, go back to 600 years ago, go talk with Galileo Galilei. Flat Earth is a myth, used historically by the pope and other individuals to hidden things from people."
- Me: "Anyway, I think you shoud be more open to new ideas. I don't believe completely in these theories about a flat earth. I think it's improbable, but not impossible."

Your teacher is right.

Wolf

• Flat Earth non-believer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:00:57 AM »
Your teacher should have just said: "Physics only works properly for a round earth. If the earth is flat, we need to learn the physics that makes it work and determine why experimental physics that only works on a round earth is wrong. Maybe you can study this further when you go to university."

How about this for a thought? Galileo said the earth was round and is famous to this day. How about you say the earth is flat, provide proper scientific observations and experiments which show this and be famous for hundreds of years from now. If the earth is flat and you do the paper that shows this, wouldn't it be cool to be known as the person who rewrote physics? Or possibly the Father of Modern Physics?
lol - they actually believe the earth is flat!

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »
Galileo said the earth was round
Galileo never said that for the simple reason that everybody knew that the Earth is round (the Church too) with few exceptions and this fact was obvious, so no need to reaffirm it. Galileo backed up Copernican theory against Tolemaic Theory. In both Copernican and Tolemaic the Earth is round.
Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
A: Look out the window!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 07:23:25 AM »
You know, they refused Jesus and Coppernicus too!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:12:17 AM by John Davis »

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Your teacher should have just said: "Physics only works properly for a round earth.

What physics are you referring to that requires a round earth ??? Surely not any of newton's laws, electricity or magnetism, gas laws, or every other practical and useful aspect of physics... only orbital mechanics would not apply to a flat earth, but the models still work for simulations. And I suppose modern cosmology doesn't really work with a flat earth (no shit), but they don't teach astrophysics in high school anyway.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »
get him to prove it to you without a text book. see what he says and ignore anything that relies on a 3rd party. tell him that he has to prove it to you. then he may get more of an understanding for what the society is about.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
Your teacher should have just said: "Physics only works properly for a round earth.

What physics are you referring to that requires a round earth ??? Surely not any of newton's laws, electricity or magnetism, gas laws, or every other practical and useful aspect of physics... only orbital mechanics would not apply to a flat earth, but the models still work for simulations. And I suppose modern cosmology doesn't really work with a flat earth (no shit), but they don't teach astrophysics in high school anyway.

Gravity generally doesn't play well with a flat earth.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »

True, fortunately, the equations don't care why objects accelerate downward.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
You should have told him to read ENaG.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Those indoctrinated are heavily against hearing the opinion of opposing sides.  The despot will always find reason to stay with his initial will. 

Of course some things are simply not of interest to people.  They have formed their opinion and don't want to see any more evidence as they feel they have already sufficient to make their choice.  Thats freedom of belief and its what makes humans forces to be reckoned with. 

I would hardly expect a Bible Belt Christian Zealot (I have lots of experience here) to take serious note of another religion presented to them as they already have found their truth (for now), and their path (for now.)  They won't change their mind until something makes them question that belief, and many people have to learn that the hard way.  In fact most would respond almost violently or reactionary to such attempts to undermine their faith.  It is of no wonder why people hate door to door missionaries, as they are doing this very same thing.

That is why, imho, the FES should be non-missionic.   That is to say, answer questions to clarify, explain your views but never try to convince or shove them down another's throats.  Not only does it not work but its a form of intellectual rape.  If it does work, you are likely dealing with a weak minded individual and are more or less using propaganda and selling points to instill beliefs that they would not have come to on their own.

For the most part, people come to us seeking truth or an outlet for their rage (a thin veil of truth seeking.)  We don't go to Physics forums and bother them. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:27:54 AM by John Davis »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

True, fortunately, the equations don't care why objects accelerate downward.

Perhaps not, but the equations do say that sufficiently large masses (say, planet sized bodies) want to form themselves into spheres.  That is a problem for FET.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
Unless they are sufficiently larger, that is to say infinite.  Besides, "want" and "do" are two different things.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
Except that infinite amounts of matter bring their own set of problems.  Such as, how does one objectively determine infinity as a quantity?

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »

Light, gravity, and yes, magnetism. Why would the "south magnetic pole" be a ring around the disk of earth, as the Flat Earth map suggests?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 04:04:35 PM »
Except that infinite amounts of matter bring their own set of problems.  Such as, how does one objectively determine infinity as a quantity?
Its more a determination of a mostly horizontally uniform gravitational field;  from there it follows that the most likely form of the earth is either an infinite plane, which solves many issues, or a suitably large disc that is structurally ideal, which begs many a question.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »
Its more a determination of a mostly horizontally uniform gravitational field;  from there it follows that the most likely form of the earth is either an infinite plane, which solves many issues, or a suitably large disc that is structurally ideal, which begs many a question.

Very interesting. I never read much on the infinite earth topic.

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
I would love an infinite earth.  It would mean that house prices would be cheaper and I could afford to live both where I worked and where I like to spend my free time.  Damn those Round Earth property speculators!
The video demonstrates that we can not fully trust our senses.

?

Puttah

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »

Right, because there are so many flaws in the round Earth theory... oh wait, the only "flaw" IN RET is that FES doesn't want to believe it.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
Right, because there are so many flaws in the round Earth theory... oh wait, the only "flaw" IN RET is that FES doesn't want to believe it.

Well said!
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »

Dont care about idiots who go with fashion's flow

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »
It's interesting how people are drawn to what they perceive as a counterculture and are unwilling to turn on themselves the critical eye used to assess others.

I agree with not following the crowd for the sake of it, but that doesn't mean that deliberately going against the crowd is automatically the correct path either.
The video demonstrates that we can not fully trust our senses.

?

Puttah

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:09 AM »
Dont care about idiots who go with fashion's flow

I was trying to think of an example that's so extreme and absurd, that not believing in it would make you seem like a raging lunatic, but alas, I realized that I couldn't imagine a more absurd case than dropping RET for FET.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »
I would love an infinite earth.  It would mean that house prices would be cheaper and I could afford to live both where I worked and where I like to spend my free time.  Damn those Round Earth property speculators!

Sadly, on an infinate-earth model, the areas too far from the circle of the sun are unlivabley cold. However, the theory does not disclude the possibility of other "suns" circling elsewhere above the infinite plane. It's also interesting to note, wherever you are on an infinate plane is the exact center of everything. 

Parsifal

• Official Member
  • Bendy Light specialist
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 06:32:48 AM »
Who is that Daniel Shenton? Had he ever speech? Where is he?

Sig'd.
I'm going to side with the white supremacists.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »

Sadly, on an infinate-earth model, the areas too far from the circle of the sun are unlivabley cold. However, the theory does not disclude the possibility of other "suns" circling elsewhere above the infinite plane. It's also interesting to note, wherever you are on an infinate plane is the exact center of everything.
It could exist also in a space that allows for the sun to hit all areas.  One could imagine anything, but of course more research is necessary.  Its best to uncarve the truth, rather than profess it ha.