Purpose of the Conspiracy

• 11 Replies
Purpose of the Conspiracy
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
There are a lot of conspiracy theories about the government floating around, usually along the lines of "the government is doing something unsavory to get what it wants."

For example, some people believe that the shooting at Sandy Hook was fake. The claim is that the government staged a fake shooting to use as evidence that America needs more gun control, so they could take everyone's guns away.

There's also some who believe that the government was responsible for 9/11 because they wanted an excuse to invade the middle east.

I don't believe either of those ideas, but I at least understand them. Government wants to take guns away, so it stages a shooting. Government wants to invade Iraq, so it fakes an attack to get people riled up. Whether it's true or not, it makes sense.

The Round Earth Conspiracy is a bit more confusing. In order to keep up the ruse, every government on Earth has to be involved in falsifying maps, movies, flight plans, star charts, ect. It's not just the shape of the Earth that's in question either. Practically every field of science must be altered to make the conspiracy seem true, physics, cosmology, and geology to name a few. Entire companies must be created to design spacecraft and other technology that is impossible to create. Magazines, textbooks, entire universities, public transportation, and global trade must be censored. Weather reports based on a round Earth must be created. History would probably need to be censored to some degree as well.

This culminates to a cooperative effort by every government across the world that costs countless billions of dollars and hours of manpower.

And they're doing all this for... What exactly? For evil? Are we all just being trolled? What could they possibly gain from doing all of this? The FAQ says that it was to pretend that America had space-weapons, and that the people orchestrating the conspiracy somehow don't know that they're wrong. They just couldn't figure out why their rockets wouldn't work, so they decided to just start a conspiracy. So does that mean that the government created the Round Earth Conspiracy, and then NASA tried to design rockets to go into space using the Round Earth Model, but they didn't work, so they just created their own Space Travel Conspiracy to pretend their rockets worked, not realizing that they were victims of an even greater conspiracy? And if everyone in power has to be involved in the Round Earth Conspiracy in order to make it work, then who's going to be fooled by the Space Travel Conspiracy? There isn't a whole lot of information on the conspiracy in the FAQ.

It seems like a big convoluted mess that doesn't benefit anyone.

Re: Purpose of the Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
if it exists, its definitely not for money.
much more money can be made with much less expense, like drugs, or religion.
I guarantee if NASA was part of a massive conspiracy, they would spend as much as they too in.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
Some believe everyone actually believes the earth is round and are just faking space travel and the such which I can honestly see (not as in the governments would do this or want to but can for the purpose of the FET). However, that raises some more questions like, say, Russia would have called the US out on faking the moon landings. Their best answer is along the lines of 'they still wanted to keep the conspiracy alive' or something, but that really doesn't make sense...
There are also a few pages in the wiki about this.
Why use evidence
Ok

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »
At first glance, it seems like the conspiracy would require hundreds of thousands of people "in on it" for it to even have a prayer of success.  However, it would actually take a remarkably few amount of people.  Think about Christianity.  It only took one guy two thousand years ago to make some stuff up about being the "son of God" to set into motion a massive conspiracy that billions and billions of people have believed and perpetuated.  There isn't even anyone at the top that has to know the truth anymore.  But, like the space conspiracy, you can see the massive sums of wealth that the church brings in.  Why do you think that Science and Religion are at such odds?  They are both trying to tap the same well.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
But people would notice that literally nothing worked. You can't fly from America to India, for example, and get there with a flight plan based on a planet that's the wrong shape. Corporations would lose millions (if not billions) of dollars because their trade ships would keep ending up at the wrong place. Global navigation would be impossible. Every prediction of weather patterns would fail because they got the shape of the planet wrong. These are things that people just can't not notice.

The only way the Flat Earth Theory makes any sense is if there's a massive conspiracy covering everything up for no apparent reason.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Well, thankfully, things don't have to make sense to you personally for them to be true.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
I read the FAQ about the conspiracy and want to know about what the Flat Earth Society thinks about what is going on in society. All I'm getting from you is "nobody notices that the world is flat because they're all stupid and brainwashed, and everything just happens to work under the Round Earth model by coincidence."

Is that the official stance of the movement? If so, does that bother you at all?

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »
The "great circle" route planes take around the globe could be plotted as straight lines on the flat earth map (I think... someone posted the flight path indicator website on here, need to look it up again).

Weather prediction clearly works, and most of it is done by computer learning algorithms (neural networks). I don't think the earth being round is a necessity for weather prediction.

Your questions are valid though. Why hide the true shape of the earth? I don't know, but it seems plausible [to me].

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
So it is a conspiracy?

I only recently became aware of FE, and I'm trying to figure out what everyone here believes and why.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
I only recently became aware of FE, and I'm trying to figure out what everyone here believes and why.
Me too, and I told myself if I looked it into and found it to be true, that I wouldn't ever be able to judge people for knowing the earth was round, cause this one is just too widespread and it would be ridiculous if the earth was actually flat.

I started looking into it starting with Rowbotham's Zetetic astronomy, mostly the experiments with bodies of water. I've noticed I can see landmasses farther away than I should be able to. Now I haven't looked too much into flat earth theory... but my intuition tells me something is extremely fishy about space photos of the earth. Plus I vaguely remember something long ago about how the "globe" has become a popular icon, kind of like a religious symbol, that doesn't exist in reality. This memory was only brought up recently.

I think what really got me interested was when someone said flat earth was the granddaddy of conspiracy theories. Who wouldn't be interested in that?

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
At first glance, it seems like the conspiracy would require hundreds of thousands of people "in on it" for it to even have a prayer of success.  However, it would actually take a remarkably few amount of people.  Think about Christianity.  It only took one guy two thousand years ago to make some stuff up about being the "son of God" to set into motion a massive conspiracy that billions and billions of people have believed and perpetuated.  There isn't even anyone at the top that has to know the truth anymore.  But, like the space conspiracy, you can see the massive sums of wealth that the church brings in.  Why do you think that Science and Religion are at such odds?  They are both trying to tap the same well.

Religion and science are quite diferent. For exaple. one is based on faith and the other on the scientific method (hypotesis. theories. experiments. peer review etc). With the first. anthing can happen and it doesnt matter because you can still have faith. With the second. things have to be experimented in order to be believed. Not saying that everyone has to go to space to believe it. but most of the people on the scientific community. working on nasa and all the others space agencies. do need to experiment something real in order to keep "believing". You know. like build a real satelite with real materials using real equipments. being in a group with real scientists etc.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
I hope the comparison to christianism was a joke. It didn't take one guy, it took a lot of guys to write the bible and modify it later to fill their needs.
On the space science, there are a lot of satellites up there collecting data, I'll name a few off the top of my head: Fermi, Planck, Agile, NuStar, WISE, Herschel, Swift, Rosat, Chandra. And the already out of commission BeppoSax, COBE and more. These satellites cover pretty much all the spectrum, and they were built from different agencies, with a lot of countries participating. For a lot of those missions, the data is available to anyone, and it's a HUGE amount of data. And better, you can cross-check them to find the same source in different wavelengths or to confirm the positions, and the data makes sense. So, the scale of the conspiracy has to go up a bit, involving pretty much every PI of every mission ever lauched.