If you invented Time Travel

• 72 Replies
?

Thork

Re: If you invented Time Travel
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
it would be interesting to go back in time to see if Jebus really existed, and answer many other questions. It would be too risky. Better to destroy it.
Jebus definitely existed. Whether or not he was the son of God or not is highly debatable, but almost everyone acknowledges his life. I think these days people would refer to him as a dissident or terrorist. He was basically a political figure in opposition to Rome and that got him executed. The rest is more or less nonsense.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
When you consider the Earth is rotating round itself and the sun which in turn is orbiting the centre of the galaxy which in turn is moving and an hour is a long time. If you carry your velocity with you you'll be shooting off into deep space- if not you could end up smacking into the first micrometeor at thousands of relative mph. Basically unless your timeship works like the TARDIS you're screwed.

?

Thork

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »
Basically unless your timeship works like the TARDIS you're screwed.
I would definitely make mine out of a DeLorean.

?

Sunaviel

• Student Pilot and a bit of a rebel
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
it would be interesting to go back in time to see if Jebus really existed, and answer many other questions. It would be too risky. Better to destroy it.
Jebus definitely existed. Whether or not he was the son of God or not is highly debatable, but almost everyone acknowledges his life. I think these days people would refer to him as a dissident or terrorist. He was basically a political figure in opposition to Rome and that got him executed. The rest is more or less nonsense.

I have doubts about his existence, however make no claims on the matter. He wasn't called "Jesus" then. Seeing as there is no letter 'J' in the Latin language. It was Yeshua. Also you're right about him being a bit of a pest, the Romans saw him as a bit of a threat, and so removed him. The whole god/resurrection thing is all total bullshit.  :)
The earth is round, it's a scientific fact. Get over it. The world is laughing at you.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »
Basically unless your timeship works like the TARDIS you're screwed.
I would definitely make mine out of a DeLorean.

As Doc Brown said: "Roads, where we're going, we don't need... roads. But we will need spacesuits and a lifetime supply of consumables."

?

Homesick Martian

• Hardcore Zetetic Terrorist
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »

He was not really political and was not really a threat to the Romans I think. Information on Pontius Pilatus outside the gospel is scanty, but as far as we know he was an asshole. He had no understanding of the religious situation in Palestine and seems to have regarded every messianic loon as an enemy of the empire. The jews complained about him and finally he was recalled to Rome because of his incompetence and insensibility. Some inscriptions have been found elucidating that. So Jesus had just bad luck.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
I would go back in time and molest myself, pretty much just go from there and see what happens

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »
When you consider the Earth is rotating round itself and the sun which in turn is orbiting the centre of the galaxy which in turn is moving and an hour is a long time. If you carry your velocity with you you'll be shooting off into deep space- if not you could end up smacking into the first micrometeor at thousands of relative mph. Basically unless your timeship works like the TARDIS you're screwed.

He did say he would bring a parachute.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
Jesus has existed a few times to many people I'm sure.  It seems to a recurrent and prominent meme of a time and it is to be expected it would echo and resonate even now.  I have no doubt it is a common theme to many mystical experiences.

I guess like most moral quandaries its best to leave it at least at the Golden Rule.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
I often say "no one deserves that kind of power"  but the nature of this is betrayed by "deserves".  I would say that few of our worse deserve that fate.  However with that fate brings new enlightenment, like any other fate.  Is something worse or bad or simply another state?

Of course I am always then reminded of Noah, drunk fool, tasked at building an ark at gods rage.  One must wonder if Noah made a similar promise to man, for this moral free lunch, as did Jesus.  Perhaps even knowing full well it was a game of odds.   The lesson, perhaps, is there is no lunch from good or evil, but from beyond that - pure force of will.

I meant "stolen" more like "stolen knowledge."   I am convinced that time travel, governed by other metrics of course, deals with absolutes that can be easily made from any surrounding materials.  As such patents, money making, etc seem silly.  Why release a time machine just to patent it?  Why not patent the light bulb?  Or be the Beatles?  Sure first gut instinct is to go win a bunch of lotteries and run a mad life, but what then? 

You can't use it, you can't give it away, you can't sell it, you can't hide it except in plain sight and Who would rob humanity and their own rights by not using it, yet Who dare use it?

The only fun option seems to be hide fun coincidences with it without causing harm.   

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
One hides the treasure not in a safe but instead visible to any.  If guarded, clearly it will be sought after by the will of man.  If in [easy view] man will not want|wont of it.   

?

Thork

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 07:13:10 AM »
One hides the treasure not in a safe but instead visible to any.  If guarded, clearly it will be sought after by the will of man.  If in [easy view] man will not want|wont of it.   
Leave a $20 bill in the street and see how many people walk by not wanting it. Place another in your safe at home. Zetetically verify which one is taken first.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
money is hard to obtain, that is why unguarded money is taken;  society's belief debt to money is what breads greed

the truly precious objects in the universe are unguarded and in sight;  looking for them [actively] simply pushes them further away, like a chinese finger trap.   When you find them, they come as easy as the [four] winds.

This is what keeps men working.  If you reward work in kind, man will not yearn for more or feel a need to better himself - he is being treated fairly.  The way to keep productivity is to not reward activity.

the man who picks up the money is poorer than I.  Often times as a schoolchild I would not carry pencils with me and never borrow.  At the start of the day I'd pick up pencils in the halls, and at the end of the day I'd throw them back into the system.  As such, I never had need to buy and the dollar would have been worthless to me (in that respect.)

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:38 AM »
Instead, If I were tol hide a time machine in plain sight.

Would anyone take it.  Would they recognize it for what it is?  Would they have the will for power.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:35:21 AM by John Davis »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Instead, If I were tol hide a time machine in plain sight.

Would anyone take it.  Would they recognize it for what it is?  Would they have the will for power.

Does it have a sign on it saying, "Free time machine.  Take me"?  Because if it does, it would be sitting there for a long time.

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »
Would you share it? Well we are all time travelers moving in time 1s every 1s. If I could go back in time with the knowledge I currently have, then no I wouldn't share it.

What if it was stolen? What if the future me stole it to give it to me in the past?

Under what circumstances would you share it? Same as first question.

What responsibility does the time traveler have?  None because what ever I, they, do will have happened.

Would you even dare use it? See above question.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
What do you mean "If" I invented time travel
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

?

Homesick Martian

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:34 PM »

Guess he's currently working on it.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »

All you have to do is decide you want to build a time machine.  If you succeed you will get instant results.  I will tell you one thing, those pyramids are a mofo to build.

?

Homesick Martian

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

All you have to do is decide you want to build a time machine.  If you succeed you will get instant results.  I will tell you one thing, those pyramids are a mofo to build.

Didn't succeed.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 12:20:11 PM »

Didn't succeed.

Haha, you shouldnt have told me, who do you think prevented your success?

Oddly enough, I provided your work to my past self, it is critical in my design

?

Homesick Martian

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »

Didn't succeed.

Haha, you shouldnt have told me, who do you think prevented your success?

Oddly enough, I provided your work to my past self, it is critical in my design

We keep secrets inside the family. I think you are my spoiled great great great grand son after his rehab.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
It is of my belief that once you come to the point that you would discover time travel and have true need of it, you will.

Any attempt of sharing this technology would fail on the premise that it would be too advanced to be used by a fool.  At least to any real damage or knowledge. 

And yes, it is unfortunate to be stuck at an inopportune time.  We all build our own pyramids.  Today it may consist more of data entry, paper pushing, and staplin' photocopies but its a pyramid none the less.  Giant monuments to the kings of our time, all meant to outdate them.   Foolish really.  Isn't Walmart a bit of a modern day Oxymandias?

Its almost as if all want or productivity would be lost if this were to get out on a widespread level.  With lack of a temporal meaning to life, the necessity to work, the meaning of currency and money, of freedom of idealogy and everything else...

It could be the end of a once great society or the beginning of a non-suck new one.  Or simply full circle, yet again.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Freedom of Idealogy, wouldn't that be something else.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
Oh noes, Theodolite is a time-traveling NASA agent trying to prevent the Great Reveal of the Ultimate Truth of 2044.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
Oh noes, Theodolite is a time-traveling NASA agent trying to prevent the Great Reveal of the Ultimate Truth of 2044.

I'm actually opposed to evidence which proves anything.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Would you share it?
No.   

What if it was stolen?
I would detonate the remote self destruct.

Under what circumstances would you share it? 
None.

What responsibility does the time traveler have?
None really. Responsibility is a construct of man based on our unique norms and mores. If man ceased to exist then so would these perceived responsibilities.

Would you even dare use it?
Yes.
Interesting;  But surely there is a higher level of responsibility or a similar construct for the neoman.  Or at least one would hope one might be constructed for the good of the whole.

Sure, we could hope all day long, but how many facets of human existence operate responsibly?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:28:37 AM by Pongo »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »
I'd say one could argue they all do to some level of responsibility - either to self, others, life itself, some set of internal or external law or code, even responsibility to biological urges.  Its the vast minority that are completely irresponsible in total.  Of course, you will have a hard time justifying responsibility to oneself as any useful form of responsibility as discussed here.

Surely the knowledge needed, or wisdom, would ensure its only used by those who are capable of understanding the consequences, or lack there of.  And thus, in some form, the responsibility.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
I imagine the first thing I would do is secure a way to never be able to lose it.   Could be as simple as a thousand strings on fingers.