Wowzers. This sure is convincing.

• 29 Replies
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:57:15 AM »
I hate to be a party pooper, but

This system of belief (yes it IS a religion, because only in an ecumenical body can you be this stupid) is so terrible and offensive I think it gave me cancer.

Honestly, you have a right to believe what you want, but letting it out in public is a dangerous thing. Some people are very easily influenced and persuaded and - oh wait, this is that group of people.

Regardless, In my opinion (if you can express it, so can I). Wait. Scratch that .  SINCERE opinion, this notion of a flat Earth is part of the intellectual detriment to the human race. Not only does this put shame on the thousands of wonderful scientists that have given their LIVES to help humanity progress, and become what it is today, but it also puts shame on humanity itself. People have been working for thousands of years to get our level of understanding to where it is, and you...people...just reject  what we have spent years to learn, and instead base your entire belief on, as far as I have seen, completely unsupported...'evidence;

And as far as the Terry Pratchett fans are concerned...please...reading books is good for your intellectual growth...but for people who believe in this codswallop (I'm not even going to call it pseudo-science), I suggest you read something a little less...advanced. Perhaps something in the children's section. If I was Mr Pratchett, I would be ashamed (I'm a great fan of his...but it's sad to see some people doing this)

Oh, in light of books, I'd mention The Handmaid's Tale, but that's probably too advanced. It...nevermind.

I am going to become the top guy of something, just so I can change free speech rights.

Old:
Everyone has a right to free thought and speech.

New:
Everyone has a right to free thought and speech. So long as it's not amazingly retarded, and in complete disregard to everything logical.
 tried to be nice. I tried to not get angry at insultingly rediculous notions.

I TRIED DAMMIT

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:00:49 AM »
Can you find anything specifically wrong with the flat earth model (use the search function to make sure it hasn't already been addressed), or are you just letting us know how much it conflicts with what you have been programmed to believe?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
how about this:

does not =

its a very simple concept.
f you seriously believe that the Earth is flat, go get a CAT scan and book yourself in for some good ol' immediate Endoscopic Brain Tumor Surgery.

otherwise, its a great joke you have going

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
I don't think that anyone is arguing that the earth is made of china.

I don't see your point.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »
if you want to be that stark and blunt, then no, its actually an imitation dish thats made of ceramic, not china.

And my point is, instead of living with the very simple understanding of some really not so complex physics, you unusual people chose to live in a fantasy world where everything is a giant conspiracy and we really are living on a giant pnumatic ram launching us vertically upwards, or some such.

I dont see your sanity ;)
f you seriously believe that the Earth is flat, go get a CAT scan and book yourself in for some good ol' immediate Endoscopic Brain Tumor Surgery.

Re: Wowzers. This sure is convincing.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 11:26:36 AM »
Quote from: "Enraged Youth"
I hate to be a party pooper, but

This system of belief (yes it IS a religion, because only in an ecumenical body can you be this stupid) is so terrible and offensive I think it gave me cancer.

Honestly, you have a right to believe what you want, but letting it out in public is a dangerous thing. Some people are very easily influenced and persuaded and - oh wait, this is that group of people.

Regardless, In my opinion (if you can express it, so can I). Wait. Scratch that .  SINCERE opinion, this notion of a flat Earth is part of the intellectual detriment to the human race. Not only does this put shame on the thousands of wonderful scientists that have given their LIVES to help humanity progress, and become what it is today, but it also puts shame on humanity itself. People have been working for thousands of years to get our level of understanding to where it is, and you...people...just reject  what we have spent years to learn, and instead base your entire belief on, as far as I have seen, completely unsupported...'evidence;

And as far as the Terry Pratchett fans are concerned...please...reading books is good for your intellectual growth...but for people who believe in this codswallop (I'm not even going to call it pseudo-science), I suggest you read something a little less...advanced. Perhaps something in the children's section. If I was Mr Pratchett, I would be ashamed (I'm a great fan of his...but it's sad to see some people doing this)

Oh, in light of books, I'd mention The Handmaid's Tale, but that's probably too advanced. It...nevermind.

I am going to become the top guy of something, just so I can change free speech rights.

Old:
Everyone has a right to free thought and speech.

New:
Everyone has a right to free thought and speech. So long as it's not amazingly retarded, and in complete disregard to everything logical.

It is absolutely normal for this notion to have this effect on a person.  The FE essentially takes a sledgehammer to your pre-conceived notions.

The challenge is being objective enough to see the theory and think to yourself, "Why not?"  All too often this notion of thought is lost, even, regrettably, in today's science.  We forget that we aren't trying to prove a hypothesis, we're trying to disprove it.  Asking "why not" is essential.

Whether or not this is a valid, logical theory to you, you should atleast open the possibilities and argue with yourself.  The whole purpose of doing so is to get closer to the truth.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Wowzers. This sure is convincing.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:12:56 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"

The FE essentially takes a sledgehammer to the truth.

Indeed it does  :roll:
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
Quote from: "Mad_Aussie"
if you want to be that stark and blunt, then no, its actually an imitation dish thats made of ceramic, not china.

China is a ceramic.  :roll:

And my point is, instead of living with the very simple understanding of some really not so complex physics

Just about all the 'not so complex physics' translates quite well to the FE.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »
except for the part where gravity doesnt exist, we live on a flat plane covered by a secret ice dome, we and everything else in existance is accellerating upwards constantly, and everything is a conspiracy.

and mate, if you where going to compare a cheap ceramic plate to an expensive authentic china dish, and say they are the same, an auctioneer would walk over and beat your face in with his little mallet.

?

VoodooMonster

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:17:43 AM »
TheEngineer wrote
China is a ceramic

china is ceramic, yes. but not all ceramic is china.
much like my floor is flat, but the earth is not flat.

Mephistopheles wrote
We forget that we aren't trying to prove a hypothesis, we're trying to disprove it. Asking "why not" is essential.

You see, what's happend here is you dont make sense. Because these fine lads have disproved your theory. Thats what they tried to do and that's what they did. They disproved that FE theory is accurate at all. Case closed

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
LOL at the newbies who get way too worked up about this.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 07:30:26 AM »
Lol, yeh, I have to agree with you. I'm sure you mean pretty much the entire FE community.

I TRIED DAMMIT

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 07:41:15 AM »
Uh, no. When do they ever get worked up about it? It's all the RE newbies who come on here yelling about how stupid this all is. You guys don't even realize most of the so-called flat-Earthers are actually just arguing for fun, and don't even believe what they argue/
the cake is a lie

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 08:34:13 AM »
"Arguing for fun"

That really doesnt seem like it. Arguing for fun implies that you would put forth a good argument, and have valid counter points to what the opposition may say.

And most of the FE replies are just stupid remarks that are more oft than not, irrelevant.

I will not ever deny, however, that you guys get a fuckload of trolls coming on here going "omgwtfbbq a flat erth lol u country folk are morons". And that, of course, is putting it lightly.

I TRIED DAMMIT

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »
Quote from: "VoodooMonster"
TheEngineer wrote
China is a ceramic

china is ceramic, yes. but not all ceramic is china.
much like my floor is flat, but the earth is not flat.

Notice the part where I said that China is a ceramic. :roll:

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »
Quote from: "Enraged Youth"
"Arguing for fun"

That really doesnt seem like it. Arguing for fun implies that you would put forth a good argument, and have valid counter points to what the opposition may say.

And most of the FE replies are just stupid remarks that are more oft than not, irrelevant.

I will not ever deny, however, that you guys get a fuckload of trolls coming on here going "omgwtfbbq a flat erth lol u country folk are morons". And that, of course, is putting it lightly.

No, actually, that's pretty much what all FE'ers are doing. We put forth as good of arguments as possible, at least, even with the knowledge that we are wrong the whole way. Pretty much it's just a thought experiment for the FE'ers. Then when we're proven wrong, we give an answer that means absolutely nothing (like "it was the aliens" or something), and then laugh at the idiots who think we were being serious. :P

~D-Draw

?

blindfire123

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
most of the so-called flat-Earthers are actually just arguing for fun, and don't even believe what they argue/

Some, maybe but there are certainly people on this forum who genuinely believe all this stuff.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 05:10:20 PM »
Quote from: "blindfire123"
Quote from: "dysfunction"
most of the so-called flat-Earthers are actually just arguing for fun, and don't even believe what they argue/

Some, maybe but there are certainly people on this forum who genuinely believe all this stuff.

There are a total of two that I can think of and that regularly post outside the FE Believers section (Daniel and Dogplatter). The rest of us are just arguing for fun.

~D-Draw

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 05:19:07 PM »
Getting back on topic, sort of.

unimportant used this post in a nonsensical proof of earth being round:

the image is 3D generated

the source:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/BlueMarble_2002.html

Heres a more accurate view:

Image taken by the apollo 17 crew (NASA.. dun dun DUN!)

beast

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
omg the same two fucking photos.   aaaaaaaaaaaaargh.  If they're both real why are the oceans different colours?  In any event, I'm probably going to go to university, study computing for 3 years as well as spending all my spare time doing the same then hack the internet and destroy all copies of those photos so that people have to post other photos of the Earth from space instead of the same ones over and over.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »
check out Madagascar, they're not the same photos..

edit - you were meaning the blue marble ones :)

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
Quote from: "beast"
omg the same two fucking photos.   aaaaaaaaaaaaargh.  If they're both real why are the oceans different colours?  In any event, I'm probably going to go to university, study computing for 3 years as well as spending all my spare time doing the same then hack the internet and destroy all copies of those photos so that people have to post other photos of the Earth from space instead of the same ones over and over.

how about launching a EMP bomb into orbit. :)

beast

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 06:32:17 PM »
Quote from: "msu320"
check out Madagascar, they're not the same photos..

edit - you were meaning the blue marble ones :)

I don't mean that the photos are the same as each other - I mean that round Eartherss seem to only post up those two photos - never any other photos.  That said, 99% of anything a REer does on this forum has been done a bazillion times before too so it's hardly surprising.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 06:36:22 PM »
If there was just those 2 photos, i would of imagined they would be on the faq page as "these photos do not count as proof".

beast

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 06:37:21 PM »
Good suggestion - I will ask Erasmus to do just that :)

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 06:38:05 PM »
If there was just those 2 photos, i would of imagined they would be on the faq page as "these photos do not count as proof".

Of course photo's aren't proof in the age of Photoshop. Evidence is.
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 06:39:45 PM »
hey.. speaking of photos of earth, has anyone seen google earth?

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »
hey.. speaking of photos of earth, has anyone seen google earth?

Yes, it's on my computer. A FE doesn't necessarily disprove Google Earth, or vice versa, as the images could've been taken by planes.
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

beast

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 06:42:09 PM »
Yes everybody has seen google Earth.

Quote from: "I"
99% of anything a REer does on this forum has been done a bazillion times before

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 03:07:13 AM »
Quote from: "holybrain"
as the images could've been taken by planes.

interestingly enough, they mostly are.

And come on, its like taking pictures of a cup. Regardless of how many you take, it will still be that same cup, and they will all look pretty much the same.

It can certainly be said that these photos aren't proof, as they are taken by the "conspirers" (ha! By the way, conspiracy theories really dont hold much water in any case, seriously, come up with a better reason for it, like humans not being able to comprehend it, just as an ant wont be able to comprehend you stepping on it as anything more than reality simply coming to an end for him.).
Unless you get a 150 kilometer long pole, gaffa tape a digital camera to the end of it and point it upwards and start snapping photos, photographic evidence just doesnt cut it.

That goes for your ice wall story too. Any no lobe can post pics of the back of his fridge and call it an ice wall. The internet and the ability for any mac monkey to manipulate photos and videos really makes this kind of visual evidence redundant, unless you can show the original file in its original medium, and with some different supporting mediums. I.e. Back up a digital photo with a 35mm colour transperancy slide aswell, something thats a hell of a lot harder to manipulate.