Go tell Felix Baumgartner the earth is flat!

• 77 Replies
Go tell Felix Baumgartner the earth is flat!
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »
Just do it and see what he has to say about it.
Let me guess, Red Bull is in on something.    Reality gentlemen, dig it.

Re: Go tell Felix Baumgartner the earth is flat!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
What a well thought out argument against the flat earth theory.
Why use evidence
Ok

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
What about him? He wouldn't have been high enough to see the entire Earth. In the videos, the "curvature" of the Earth stretches and compresses quickly as the camera moves about which means that the "evidence" that they hold demonstrate nothing besides bad camera quality.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
Man, when you guys leave the house  the how do you even find your way  back home.  I've never heard such made up rhetoric bulls##t excuses before!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
Man, when you guys leave the house  the how do you even find your way  back home.  I've never heard such made up rhetoric bulls##t excuses before!

Are you serious?  The curvature exhibited in the video is obviously distorted.  You'd have to be an idiot to not be able to see that.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
Better idea, tell Buzz Aldrin he didn't walk on the Moon with Neil Armstrong.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Buzz Aldrin Punch

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »
Or just watch the press conference they did when they got back... really seems like they had just walked on the moon  ;D

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:05 AM »
Felix hasn't been no higher than normal high jumping sky divers.
The red bull capsule and helium balloon is simply a publicity stunt.

People won't see it because their brains are focused on amazing things.
They even had a mission control with a crew of people sat behind monitors like N.A.S.A do on their fake rocket launches.
I despair. ::)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
Felix hasn't been no higher than normal high jumping sky divers.
Actually, he was quite a lot higher than normal sky divers.  In fact, he was about 10 miles higher than normal sky divers.  That's why it was such a big deal.

The red bull capsule and helium balloon is simply a publicity stunt.
Of course it was, but that's completely irrelevant.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:38 AM »
He saw some slight curvature the horizon, but not as much as the distorted video shows. He saw this because he was looking down at a circle.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
He saw some slight curvature the horizon, but not as much as the distorted video shows. He saw this because he was looking down at a circle.

I hope you have some evidence that this is what he saw, because I assume you were not there. 
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

I hope you have some evidence that this is what he saw, because I assume you were not there.

Here is a picture from one of the cameras at ground level.  Tell me it is not distorted.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »

Here is a picture from one of the cameras at ground level.  Tell me it is not distorted.

It does look distorted.  Which photos from altitude were taken by that camera?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
The view out the capsule door showed no curvature. The wide-angle video/photos from the arms are all distorted. We've covered this multiple times.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »

Tom, he was not high enough to view the entire "circle" of earth. A couple miles up is not sufficient to see an entire disk that is 25000 miles in diameter. Now, it can be argued, like Thork said in a previous thread, that the curvature one sees is the circle of light cast by the sun, and where it ends is where it is night. However, this is not possible because at any given time, the sun is casting light on almost exactly have of the earth. Again, a couple miles in the air is not enough to see this far, given a flat earth.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »

Tom, he was not high enough to view the entire "circle" of earth. A couple miles up is not sufficient to see an entire disk that is 25000 miles in diameter. Now, it can be argued, like Thork said in a previous thread, that the curvature one sees is the circle of light cast by the sun, and where it ends is where it is night. However, this is not possible because at any given time, the sun is casting light on almost exactly have of the earth. Again, a couple miles in the air is not enough to see this far, given a flat earth.

He jumped at 24 miles in altitude, which is a near vacuum. The opacity of the atmosphere is significantly less at near vacuum. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to see very far.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Of course the video is distorted, they're using a fish-eye lens. They even said after the fact they used it to emphasize the earth's curvature to make felix look higher.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

He jumped at 24 miles in altitude, which is a near vacuum. The opacity of the atmosphere is significantly less at near vacuum. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to see very far.

"Tom, he was not high enough to view the entire "circle" of earth." was the context.  You seem to have ignored that.  Please correct me if I am wrong Tom.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
I didn't say that he viewed the circle of the earth.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »
I didn't say that he viewed the circle of the earth.

You said, "He saw some slight curvature the horizon, but not as much as the distorted video shows. He saw this because he was looking down at a circle."

Now, were you referring to the circle of light visible because of the sun? Or were you talking about the actual whole earth?

Since I view you as an intelligent fellow, I am going to assume the former, because he couldn't have seen the whole earth since half the earth at any given time is dark.

Assuming this, the sun, according to your flat earth map, shows the earth to be half lit down the middle, like so.

This is proven to be so, using websites like world clock that tell us exactly when the sun sets and rises. Now, you may say that the map of the flat earth is not definitive. Fair enough. But you have to go against millions of people who rely on the very definitive work of cartographers to get by in the business, such as air travel and traversing the ocean. You have to explain how a couple thousand miles "south" of Australia, Chile, and South Africa all lead to Antarctic stations that are mere hundreds of miles apart. Every time you try to fix your map in one place, another locations will pop out of sync with the rest.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:15:04 AM by darknavyseal »

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
darknavyseal there is a thread on the shape of the flat earth spotlight, and you've got it a little bit off.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,57515.msg1447004.html#msg1447004

I'm too lazy to bother with this honestly, but you could use a photo effect to 'reverse' the fish-eye on the ground level image so that the ground looks level, and then do the same filters on the high altitude images to see what the images would have looked like without the fish-eye lensing effect.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »
Will note. I will study up on it then.  :)

The point about antarctica still stands.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
Ever notice all the RE supporters agree on the facts and aspects, while these FE's can't even see eye to eye on their supposed convincing theories!  " no you're a bit off on you're flat map"..." ya but the shadow of the sun wouldn't be quite like that"...... and on it goes. 
Nice right cross Mr Aldrin!
 Fact is,  the Russians would have been the first to blow the whistle on NASA if they BS'd about the landing.  We weren't exactly allies in the 60's working on a conspiracy.
Ya, there's no stars in the moon photos because it was daytime where the shots were taken, (not the dark side of the moon). Look up in the sky  at noon on a sunny day,  see any stars?? No I guess not!! Just because the lunar atmosphere shows a black sky, don't presume it's night. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:50:15 PM by Seventy1 »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »
That's because round-earthers unquestionably believe whatever they're told. Flat-earthers are truth seekers. That leads us to slightly different conclusions.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »
Ever notice all the RE supporters agree on the facts and aspects, while these FE's can't even see eye to eye on their supposed convincing theories!  " no you're a bit off on you're flat map"..." ya but the shadow of the sun wouldn't be quite like that"...... and on it goes. 
Nice right cross Mr Aldrin!
 Fact is,  the Russians would have been the first to blow the whistle on NASA if they BS'd about the landing.  We weren't exactly allies in the 60's working on a conspiracy.
Ya, there's no stars in the moon photos because it was daytime where the shots were taken, (not the dark side of the moon). Look up in the sky  at noon on a sunny day,  see any stars?? No I guess not!! Just because the lunar atmosphere shows a black sky, don't presume it's night.
There's a massive difference with flat earth "THEORIES"  than the  "ONE" theory you are super glued to and that is, there are possibilities in all models, where as you accept the one shoehorned to fit model without question.
This site questions it and many flat earthers question their theories all the time to come to better conclusions.
Not every theory is pin point perfect...yes even the one that you have been force fed.
The point is, it makes you think. It forces you too look deeper until maybe , one day the absolute truth will emerge.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
Scepti, notice how the one theory we have (gravity) answers most, if not all, of the questions, and explains most, if not all, of what we see.

Your theories are a dime-a-dozen, half of them contradict each other, and the other half are not proven, demonstratable, or logical. Half of you guys can't seem to decide on what is fake or not. You guys used to say that any video showing any curvature of the earth was fake, but some say that because of bendy light, it looks curved. Make up your mind, talk to each other, and figure it out. It's confusing when so many different FErs give different explanations for everything.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Scepti, notice how the one theory we have (gravity) answers most, if not all, of the questions, and explains most, if not all, of what we see.

Your theories are a dime-a-dozen, half of them contradict each other, and the other half are not proven, demonstratable, or logical. Half of you guys can't seem to decide on what is fake or not. You guys used to say that any video showing any curvature of the earth was fake, but some say that because of bendy light, it looks curved. Make up your mind, talk to each other, and figure it out. It's confusing when so many different FErs give different explanations for everything.
It's called not being a programmed robot. Each person has their own mind and thoughts. Maybe not all see eye to eye but eventually one or the other will click into place, further strengthening the flat earth theory.
The spinning round earth is nailed on for the robots and their micro chipped brains have parameters.

1. To uphold the theory as fact.
2. To follow the official line unconditionally.
3.Protect John Connor.

Well , ok, forget about 3.  ;D

?

Sytruan

• Logic and Reason - most important parts of debate.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
It's called not being a programmed robot. Each person has their own mind and thoughts. Maybe not all see eye to eye but eventually one or the other will click into place, further strengthening the round earth theory.
I fixed your quote, since that's actually how the theory of a round earth has become what it is.

I'd explain how this runs parallel to religion, but I don't feel like having a religious debate right now.

Bottom line: "Programmed thinking" is not the reason that a round earth has been accepted by the vast majority of the planet. Logic, reason, and experimenting with reality rather than imagination is.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
lol  ;D

Gotta admit, though, lots of RErs believe like robots, simply because they have no reason to question. I used to take it for granted, but I now honestly believe according to evidences I have seen that the Earth is round. I, at this point, cannot/am not ready to attribute everything to either conspiracy or bendy light.

If you guys can, more power to you.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
Bottom line: "Programmed thinking" is not the reason that a round earth has been accepted by the vast majority of the planet. Logic, reason, and experimenting with reality rather than imagination is.

i don't think most people apply logic, reason, or experimentation to the question at all. mostly they trust other people to say that they have done it.

remember this?

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">TOP 10 REASONS Why We Know the Earth is Round

this is a great video, because it illustrates several fallacies of clear thinking.

the best is number 7. it's a howler. that's the one where the earth is proven round because starting at the pole, you can walk 10,000 kilometers south, 10,000 kilometers east, and 10,000 kilometers north again, and end up at the pole once more. if you do this, and it works that way, then that's certainly strong evidence that the earth is round.

but i've never met anyone who has ever actually done this, or anything like it. they just say that they could if they wanted to, and therefore they have proven the earth to be round.

that's not reason, that's stupidity.
true wisdom is always concise