How about a fun challenge?

• 27 Replies
How about a fun challenge?
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Flat Earthers I have a challenge for you.

I want to see you photoshop an image of the round earth! Here are the guidelines:

1. Pick any source image or images you want as long as they do not appear photoshopped themselves (real photographs) or diagrams that are not depicting a round earth (such as a flat map, but not a globe)
2. Use any image editing software you want and any effects you want to edit the image
3. Try to finish with a realistic looking Round Earth
4. Post your original source images and your final work here

DISCLAIMER: I stress I want to do this for fun. I will not criticize any of your creations nor will I posit it as proof that RE images are or are not photoshopped. I also ask that everyone who sees these images also refrains from attempting to use them as proofs for either side of the debate. If you are concerned your entry may be abused I suggest water marking the image with a word like 'joke' or 'fake'.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:20:22 PM by i.h87 »

Re: How about a fun challenge?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
Okay I'll start this off. I actually had fun doing this. I started with this image:

After about an hour's work with gmax and Gimp 2 I ended up with this:

All in all I think its not too bad for an hour and no advanced rendering techniques.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
I would, but my photoshop abilities resemble those of the pizza I'm eating right now.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
I'm afraid I couldn't even photoshop a pizza if my life depended on it.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »
Bah draw a circle in paint and call it a Round Earth. No one said it has to actually look real; mine looks too low res and pastel. Just do your best :) I'd expect Scepti to draw an oval with a stick man on it, for example, and that entry would amuse me to no end.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:04 AM »

_
                       -      -   
                     -  ? \    - 
                       -  _  -

My attempt. Enjoy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:20 AM »
That's fantastic! A creative use of punctuation!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
I'm going to hold off on photoshopping my own earth.

Until then, I'll post a couple of NASA's photoshopped earths.

The first one is an older picture, and the second one is from 2012.

Now look at the size of Mexico in each of those pictures, and try explaining how Mexico suddenly grew twice as wide! They don't even try to hide the fakery... it's right there in your face. The second one doesn't even look like a sphere. It's a complete and utter fabrication.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »

Now look at the size of Mexico in each of those pictures, and try explaining how Mexico suddenly grew twice as wide! They don't even try to hide the fakery... it's right there in your face. The second one doesn't even look like a sphere. It's a complete and utter fabrication.

You're right, the second one is 'fake'. In fact, if you scroll down in your link just a little bit it says:
This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth's surface taken on January 4, 2012.

Maybe you should try a little harder next time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:42:51 PM by Bollybill »
Why use evidence
Ok

?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
Okay I'll start this off. I actually had fun doing this. I started with this image:

After about an hour's work with gmax and Gimp 2 I ended up with this:

All in all I think its not too bad for an hour and no advanced rendering techniques.
That's awesome. If you fancy doing some flat earth versions we are sure to use them. :D

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »

You're right, the second one is 'fake'. In fact, if you scroll down in your link just a little bit it says:
This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth's surface taken on January 4, 2012.
I see that, but they could have a composite that is at least accurate to their own model, right? Especially if they're going to make it look like it's the full disk of the earth. Why not have it to scale, if they're going to pretend like it's the full hemisphere? I didn't crop it in a circle, nasa did.

why the composites anyway? There are satellites plenty far away to get the globe in one shot. If you're taking a portrait of someone, do you take a bunch of pictures close up and stitch them together?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:15:28 PM by Rip Riley »

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
That's awesome. If you fancy doing some flat earth versions we are sure to use them. :D

Indeed. I've been playing with Gimp and some map projections recently trying to get something reasonable looking for a FE map (hey, you don't have to be an FEer to enjoy the challenge of it). I'm nowhere near the level of being able to use Gimp that well though. I haven't been able to really get anything so far that looks much better than Wilmore's map based on the Lambert equal-area projection, and I certainly couldn't take a flat map and make a passable round Earth artwork.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »

I see that, but they could have a composite that is at least accurate to their own model, right? Especially if they're going to make it look like it's the full disk of the earth. Why not have it to scale, if they're going to pretend like it's the full hemisphere? I didn't crop it in a circle, nasa did.

why the composites anyway? There are satellites plenty far away to get the globe in one shot. If you're taking a portrait of someone, do you take a bunch of pictures close up and stitch them together?

They were taking the pictures from that specific satellite, that's the point of the picture. And they couldn't make it more accurate because it was too close for a full picture, and the satellite probably didn't cover enough land that day for it to be accurate.

Edit: Well, it would have covered the needed land, but the pictures would not be the right size for a scale picture I think.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:58:21 PM by Bollybill »
Why use evidence
Ok

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
I like the challenge ih87 and hopefully didn't derail the thread too badly. I will hopefully get around to photoshopping an earth soon.

I took some google earth outlines and overlayed them on the NASA "blue marble" for easy comparison.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »

The first one is a fake too.

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »
I like the challenge ih87 and hopefully didn't derail the thread too badly. I will hopefully get around to photoshopping an earth soon.

I took some google earth outlines and overlayed them on the NASA "blue marble" for easy comparison.

You know, you are dealing more damage to Round Earth Theory than the Flat Earthers do. This is becoming a most interesting thread.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »

You know, you are dealing more damage to Round Earth Theory than the Flat Earthers do. This is becoming a most interesting thread.

I am not sure I follow, could you tell me more?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

This is truly fascinating. I wonder why the massive discrepancy.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »

Between what, exactly?

Edit: Nevermind, for some reason the two pictures didn't switch back and forth.

Edit2: The second picture was already accepted as being 'fake'/ edited, what do you expect?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:13:33 PM by Bollybill »
Why use evidence
Ok

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »

Artistic license, perhaps.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
So I tried the challenge thingy that was the original subject of this thread. Source image:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
Here's my sphere:

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
And I gave a flat Earth a try too:

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
Thats a very good job, Nate5700!

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Well thanks, I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to imaging software. Really all I had to do was figure out which filters to apply and GIMP did the hard work, and since I started with a detailed source image it came out looking pretty good.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
I'm impressed you did all that with just GIMP. I use both GIMP and Gmax for 3D effects. Gmax is a free version of 3DS Max, which is one of the major leading softwares for 3D modeling. http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

?

nate5700

• Round Earth. Probably.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
Well GIMP can do simple 3D stuff, you can map a layer to a sphere, box, or cylinder. It's under Filters -> Map -> Map Object. Anything more complicated than that and you probably need to use something like Gmax. But since all I needed was a sphere and a cylinder it worked pretty well.

The sphere I just mapped the source image directly. For the flat Earth I first had to convert the source image to a polar projection map, which I did by using Filters -> Distorts -> Polar Coordinates.

?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »

The first one is a fake too.

Good comeback bro! Diversify those bonds.