TESO

• 715 Replies
Re: TESO
« Reply #660 on: November 27, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
That's actually a bit much. Guild Wars 2 is 17GB.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #661 on: November 27, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
I think WoW is pretty high nowadays, although I don't have it installed to check. My Arma 2 directory was also getting into the 30GB range with all the mods I had.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #662 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Both my WoW and beta are 27 gigs.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #663 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »
Stop talking about boring computer stuff. >o<

Lorddave

« Reply #664 on: November 27, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
Er...it's like 20GB. Welcome to last-gen gaming?

It's 27.1GB, actually. 27.1GB is a shitload for any game, even 20GB is too much. What the fuck kind of games are you downloading? Even Battlefield 4 isn't that storage hungry and Battlefield is notorious for having the shittiest compression and optimization ratios a game can have.
Yeah, Wow is about 27.3 GB.  And it's got 2001 textures and models.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #666 on: November 27, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
I actually considered posting that.  We are of one mind.

« Reply #667 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Which lore subject would you like to discuss today, Saddam?

Rushy

« Reply #668 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:41 AM »

It's 27.1GB, actually. 27.1GB is a shitload for any game, even 20GB is too much. What the fuck kind of games are you downloading? Even Battlefield 4 isn't that storage hungry and Battlefield is notorious for having the shittiest compression and optimization ratios a game can have.

WoW also has, what, three or four expansions? It has ten times the content any just released MMO is going to have.

Lorddave

« Reply #669 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »

WoW also has, what, three or four expansions? It has ten times the content any just released MMO is going to have.
True.  Just imagine if it had high quality models and textures.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rushy

« Reply #670 on: November 28, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »

When done right higher quality textures don't really take up all that much more space than low quality ones, not to mention that what TESO has is a far cry from what I'd refer to as a high quality texture library.

There has to be something else taking up all that space. Is it voice-acting? Is the whole game full-voiced?

Lorddave

« Reply #671 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »

When done right higher quality textures don't really take up all that much more space than low quality ones, not to mention that what TESO has is a far cry from what I'd refer to as a high quality texture library.

There has to be something else taking up all that space. Is it voice-acting? Is the whole game full-voiced?
The color palette is important though.  WoW has bright but simple colors.  No parallax. 

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #672 on: November 28, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »
I imagine there are guards between boarders that you can sneak past or kill to enter other nations, but you'll be in hostile territory and always in threat of being attacked.

No, it's faction-locked.  You simply can't enter the other factions' territories.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #673 on: November 28, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
I imagine there are guards between boarders that you can sneak past or kill to enter other nations, but you'll be in hostile territory and always in threat of being attacked.

No, it's faction-locked.  You simply can't enter the other factions' territories.
Oh.  I guess I need to do more reading on the game.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #674 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »

Not really. You experience a tiny portion of each expansion before moving on to the current expansion. You only actually play all of the content if you were active for every single expansion.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #675 on: November 28, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »

How awful.

Rushy

« Reply #676 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
How awful.

Indeed. This sounds like the most boring war in history.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #677 on: November 28, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
How awful.

Indeed. This sounds like the most boring war in history.

And game-breaking, for me, anyhow. I can accept invisible walls when the game actually ends or there is a good reason that you can't go beyond them (The best example I can think of recently is Driver: San Francisco where you were in Tanner's mind and he simply hadn't imagined that part of the city yet)

But if I could watch other players happily going across borders only to find myself holds back all pretence of Role Playing.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #678 on: November 28, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
I don't know if it's going to be invisible walls.  It might be actual walls, or maybe impassable terrain.  I wouldn't mind either of those too much.

Lorddave

« Reply #679 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
I don't know if it's going to be invisible walls.  It might be actual walls, or maybe impassable terrain.  I wouldn't mind either of those too much.
Then how would anyone move into another territory even after they get some quest that allows them to do so?

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #680 on: November 28, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »
Then how would anyone move into another territory even after they get some quest that allows them to do so?

Maybe there will be certain roads with guards that won't let you pass at first or after completing the main quest you can fast travel to one of the capitals in each territory.
tfes.org

« Reply #681 on: November 28, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
I don't know about the other provinces, but we know there's mountains and gates around the borders in Skyrim. But the borders around Cyrodiil are completely open, except to the north where you have the Jerall Mountains.

Lorddave

« Reply #682 on: November 28, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Maybe there will be certain roads with guards that won't let you pass at first or after completing the main quest you can fast travel to one of the capitals in each territory.
Better would be if they just kept PVP off while outside their own territory for anyone who didn't do the quest.  So they can't attack anyone from another faction but they can be killed when outside their own territory.

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #683 on: November 28, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Cyrodil is the only pvp area in the game.
tfes.org

Lorddave

« Reply #684 on: November 28, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »

Well that's just retarded.  You can't have a PVP game then say "oh yeah, you can't actually attack a faction in their home territory".

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #685 on: November 28, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

Well that's just retarded.  You can't have a PVP game then say "oh yeah, you can't actually attack a faction in their home territory".

What seems even more retarded is that, from how I understand it, you can't attack the capital of cyrodil until your faction controls all of the perimeter of cyrodil.  I can't see that being practical, since regions are going to be lost as often as they are gained.
tfes.org

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #686 on: November 28, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
The main quest has nothing to do with the other factions becoming accessible; it's when you reach level 50.

Not everyone who plays MMORPGs wants to be doing PvP literally all the time.  There would be no way to concentrate on the PvE material in your home territory if all the while there were mobs of "invaders" running around ganking everyone.

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #687 on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »
I don't really see where you would even benefit from it, unless you just want to noob hunt.  You're already at the lv 50 cap, and you can't loot a dead players items, so there's not much point in attacking someone in their faction's territory.
tfes.org

« Reply #688 on: November 28, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »

You will most likely be attacking enemy factions during the main quest storyline, fighting NPC general armies and bosses, but this will likely happen inside quest instances, and you won't be fighting players from the other factions until you go to Cyrodiil. I wouldn't call it a "PVP game" since there's only one PVP area.

Lorddave

« Reply #689 on: November 28, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »
The main quest has nothing to do with the other factions becoming accessible; it's when you reach level 50.
Wait... so you can only go into other territories when you hit 50?

Not everyone who plays MMORPGs wants to be doing PvP literally all the time.  There would be no way to concentrate on the PvE material in your home territory if all the while there were mobs of "invaders" running around ganking everyone.
There are other ways to deal with it such as PVP flags.  WoW does this perfectly.  Don't wanna PVP?  Don't put on the damn flag or attack another player with his/her flag on. 
And in my experience, if the world is big enough, the mobs of players running around ganking is pretty light.  Especially if the endgame PVP in Cyrodiil is engaging and you get no points for killing other players outside of Cyrodiil.

I wouldn't call it a "PVP game" since there's only one PVP area.
Which kinda defeats the whole "three factions at war" thing.  If all they can do is fight over one area then it's not exactly a war.  More like a game of "king of the hill".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:21:36 PM by Lorddave »