Coriolis Effect

• 169 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Coriolis Effect
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »
Quote from: sceptimatic
Of course it will move, if it encounters wind resistance..but we aren't talking about wind resistance.

Great you've thought of another one of your theories... No, as a fact we are not talking about it though. It will move due to the coriolis effect and because the higher you go the bigger the difference of horizontal velocities between the object and the ground.

Actually, jumping vertically won't change your velocity relative to the ground.  It just changes the radius of the path you'd have to take to follow the curve.  Things get way more complicated to describe here.  Still simple for me to picture though.

Yes I guess I explained it wrong, I meant to say that to follow the ground they must be moving faster or something along those lines, I just don't know the 'scientific words' like you do. ;p
Moving faster? You mean the atmosphere is moving faster than the Earth? Can you explain this if you don't mind?

I was talking about an object, not the atmosphere.
You're baffling me now. Do you mean an object has to move faster than the Earth?

Idk what you're thinking but this is what I was saying:
An object on the equator is moving at 1,000 mph to stay at the same point above the ground. An object, say 200 miles above the equator, must move faster than 1,000 mph to stay above the same point (although it would require constant thrust to stay there but that is besides the point). In fact, this is what allows for geo-stationary satellites. They are at the altitude where the speed to stay above one point is equal to the speed required to orbit.
I know what your saying and is the reason why I used the bike spoke diagram to illustrate that the Earth and the upper atmosphere are moving the same from bottom to top, as we are led to believe, so naturally the outer will be moving faster, yet it makes no difference as it's still all inertia.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
What if the force moved you only a thirty second of an inch?  How would you tell?
If it's gonna move under me, it will simply move under me. Now at the equator, that means if I jump up for just 2 seconds, I should land theoretically half a mile away with no skin on my face or body probably.

No!!!!! For the hundredth time you don't understand inertia! You don't stop moving because you aren't touching the ground, you continue to move at the same speed!
I know that. I was saying that if you are deciding that I could move a fraction of an inch, we may as well go the whole hog and have me jump and have my face whipped off and land  in some old ladies garden half a mile away, skeletonised.  ;D

But there's no reason for that to happen. :)
Exactly. Just the same as there's no reason an artillery shell will appear to change trajectory due to the Earth deciding to sod the law for everything else and concentrate on sniper bullets and artillery shells.

Nope, that is the coriolis effect and others which I don't feel like explaining to you again.
You don;t need to explain it to me to be honest.
The model you stick to makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and that's no disrespect to you. I'm just saying it's a fallacy. It's all based on pure fantasy and was a mistake to try and prove a rotating Earth.

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
The model you stick to makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and that's no disrespect to you. I'm just saying it's a fallacy. It's all based on pure fantasy and was a mistake to try and prove a rotating Earth.

Well, it happens on earth, and it happens on spheres, so the earth is a sphere.

Likewise, it happens on spheres, and the earth is a sphere, so logically it should happen on earth (if you don't believe it happens on earth).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:49:46 PM by Bollybill »
Why use evidence
Ok

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »

Likewise, it happens on spheres, and the earth is a sphere, so logically it should happen on earth (if you don't believe it happens on earth).
Bill.
The only reason this happens on Earth is, because they cannot explain any other reason for us not to feel movement and be flung off the Earth.
The amount of crap they've had to shoe horn into this rotating Earth theory, they put to us as fact, is astonishing and to think , they have the masses, hook , line and sinker with it as well.

To think that people have the gall to call out flat Earthers for their beliefs, when a flat Earth, although not perfect by any means in it's entirety, fits the model, far far better than a rotating round Earth and even a stationary round Earth.

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19:32 PM »

Bill.
The only reason this happens on Earth is, because they cannot explain any other reason for us not to feel movement and be flung off the Earth.
The amount of crap they've had to shoe horn into this rotating Earth theory, they put to us as fact, is astonishing and to think , they have the masses, hook , line and sinker with it as well.

To think that people have the gall to call out flat Earthers for their beliefs, when a flat Earth, although not perfect by any means in it's entirety, fits the model, far far better than a rotating round Earth and even a stationary round Earth.

No, the explanation is because it happens. People aren't gullible. Sure you can trick some people, but do you really think 7 billion people can be convinced this when many are able to think on their own? Not everyone just accepts what they are told immediately, they think about it and do their own experiments, not just listen to the facts from 'NASA'. In fact, you can try some experiments yourself to see if people are telling the truth, like looking at satellites with a telescope. It just amazes me how many people here think all of the REers are so naive.
Why use evidence
Ok

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »

Bill.

No, the explanation is because it happens. People aren't gullible. Sure you can trick some people, but do you really think 7 billion people can be convinced this when many are able to think on their own? Not everyone just accepts what they are told immediately, they think about it and do their own experiments, not just listen to the facts from 'NASA'. In fact, you can try some experiments yourself to see if people are telling the truth, like looking at satellites with a telescope. It just amazes me how many people here think all of the REers are so naive.
It's amazing how many round Earthers think flat Earthers are bonkers and naive and it's amazing how many think that stationary round earthers are naive and stupid.

It's swings and roundabouts but in the main, the official line is the rotating Earth and they have video, satellites, ISS, pictures galore and floating Astro liars.
You're entitled to believe what you want as far as I'm concerned but I just have so many questions about the rotating model and it reeks of crap to me.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »
there's no reason an artillery shell will appear to change trajectory due to the Earth deciding to sod the law for everything else and concentrate on sniper bullets and artillery shells.

Here you go. Coriolis effect for dummies. Except you can skip 2:50-3:50 since I know you don't speak math and call anything that uses it fake. Notice how when the ball is passed to the girl it is deflected because it is moving at a slower speed than the girl, who is rotating very fast at the outside. You would have to aim ahead of the girl to account for her faster speed. Same deal on earth. This is why artillery personnel take it into account and it actually helps them hit their targets. Please tell me you understand this.
They even use a simple parcel of wind being nudged to get their point across and it's excellent for simpletons like you.  :-\

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:32:18 AM by Dog »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2013, 05:02:05 AM »
there's no reason an artillery shell will appear to change trajectory due to the Earth deciding to sod the law for everything else and concentrate on sniper bullets and artillery shells.

Here you go. Coriolis effect for dummies. Except you can skip 2:50-3:50 since I know you don't speak math and call anything that uses it fake. Notice how when the ball is passed to the girl it is deflected because it is moving at a slower speed than the girl, who is rotating very fast at the outside. You would have to aim ahead of the girl to account for her faster speed. Same deal on earth. This is why artillery personnel take it into account and it actually helps them hit their targets. Please tell me you understand this.
They even use a simple parcel of wind being nudged to get their point across and it's excellent for simpletons like you.  :-\

Great stuff. The roundabout would explain what a real spinning Earth would do, yet we do not observe that do we.
I wonder what would happen if you told the girl to get up and run across to the other side of that roundabout, just as she threw the ball.
The momentum would have moved her away from he focus point just like it should ours on a spinning Earth, yet we do not see that.

All science has done here, is what they always do. They use an effect like inertia for following the Earth's so called rotation and also against that rotation and change it for anything going across that rotation as in the roundabout.

If this was the case, I should be able to run along a path, let's say, a long path, that crosses the rotational path and find myself veering off of it the further I run due to the Earth acting against me.

OR

If I was gliding along that path, I should find myself being glided to my right or left ,depending on which way I crossed the rotational Earth, yet nothing would happen. The reason it doesn't happen, is, because it's a fallacy.

I'll make the job easier to understand with a little diagram. The same diagram that gets pushed to people who disbelieve a rotational Earth.

No matter which direction that plane was going on Earth, North, south, east or west, you would still see the exact same effect as in the drawing.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
No matter which direction that plane was going on Earth, North, south, east or west, you would still see the exact same effect as in the drawing.

Coriolis happens because of a rotating frame of reference.  Your plane is not rotating.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »
Oh and speeds are not additive but nvrmnd that. :P
Why use evidence
Ok

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:58 AM »
The roundabout would explain what a real spinning Earth would do, yet we do not observe that do we.

But we do.........?

And to the girl running, probably yes. And if it did happen on earth, which I think it does(someone correct me), you wouldn't be able to notice it because the earth is 41849280ft in diameter as opposed to that 15ft disc, so it would be VERY gradual.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
The roundabout would explain what a real spinning Earth would do, yet we do not observe that do we.

But we do.........?

And to the girl running, probably yes. And if it did happen on earth, which I think it does(someone correct me), you wouldn't be able to notice it because the earth is 41849280ft in diameter as opposed to that 15ft disc, so it would be VERY gradual.
When an Earth is supposedly spinning at over 1000 mph, I'm sure it would be noticable going across the direction of spin, don't you.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

But we do.........?

When an Earth is supposedly spinning at over 1000 mph, I'm sure it would be noticable going across the direction of spin, don't you.

Relativity, how does it work? *facepalm*

Yeah I would totally feel that, just like how i'm totally feeling it right now, in fact I just whizzed across the county because of it  ::)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

But we do.........?

Yeah I would totally feel that, just like how i'm totally feeling it right now, in fact I just whizzed across the county because of it  ::)
You mean the "THEORY" or relativity?

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »

But we do.........?

Yep, that's the one. Yet to be disproven.

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »

But we do.........?

Yes, in fact, isn't it necessary to the flat earth theory?
Why use evidence
Ok

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »

Great stuff. The roundabout would explain what a real spinning Earth would do, yet we do not observe that do we.
I wonder what would happen if you told the girl to get up and run across to the other side of that roundabout, just as she threw the ball.
The momentum would have moved her away from he focus point just like it should ours on a spinning Earth, yet we do not see that.

All science has done here, is what they always do. They use an effect like inertia for following the Earth's so called rotation and also against that rotation and change it for anything going across that rotation as in the roundabout.

If this was the case, I should be able to run along a path, let's say, a long path, that crosses the rotational path and find myself veering off of it the further I run due to the Earth acting against me.

OR

If I was gliding along that path, I should find myself being glided to my right or left ,depending on which way I crossed the rotational Earth, yet nothing would happen. The reason it doesn't happen, is, because it's a fallacy.

I'll make the job easier to understand with a little diagram. The same diagram that gets pushed to people who disbelieve a rotational Earth.

The reason that if you ran directly South from the North pole and wouldn't veer off course would be due to the fact that you're moving so slowly against such a large object that you'll end up being the same speed as the Earth in that area. Now, if you were to fire a bullet/missile/whatever due South from the North Pole, it's moving fast enough that by the time it has caught up to the speed of the Earth in that area, it has already veered off to the right.

The inner portion of the plane will not experience this effect it's all following one path, and is not rotating like the Earth. If that plane were to be flying due South from the North pole, while the person inside may not notice any difference in his ball throwing, it would slowly veer off to the right.

The fact of the matter is that your airplane drawing does not describe in any light how the Coriolis Effect works on objects.

As for not feeling the motion of the Earth while it rotates on its axis, the airplane describes it perfectly. The atmosphere inside the cabin moves along at the same speed the airplane does, as do you and all other objects within. This is what it's like to be standing on the Earth. You're travelling at 400 mph within that airplane and yet you do not feel as if you're travelling at 400 mph; you feel as if you're perfectly still.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »

But we do.........?

And equally yet to be proven.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

OR

The reason that if you ran directly South from the North pole and wouldn't veer off course would be due to the fact that you're moving so slowly against such a large object that you'll end up being the same speed as the Earth in that area. Now, if you were to fire a bullet/missile/whatever due South from the North Pole, it's moving fast enough that by the time it has caught up to the speed of the Earth in that area, it has already veered off to the right.

The inner portion of the plane will not experience this effect it's all following one path, and is not rotating like the Earth. If that plane were to be flying due South from the North pole, while the person inside may not notice any difference in his ball throwing, it would slowly veer off to the right.

The fact of the matter is that your airplane drawing does not describe in any light how the Coriolis Effect works on objects.

As for not feeling the motion of the Earth while it rotates on its axis, the airplane describes it perfectly. The atmosphere inside the cabin moves along at the same speed the airplane does, as do you and all other objects within. This is what it's like to be standing on the Earth. You're travelling at 400 mph within that airplane and yet you do not feel as if you're travelling at 400 mph; you feel as if you're perfectly still.
Does the airplane curve around the Earth in your spinning Earth model?
If so, then there would be no difference , which renders the artillery shell theory, pointless.
You cannot have it both ways.

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
If so, then there would be no difference , which renders the artillery shell theory, pointless.

It goes much faster than a plane...
Why use evidence
Ok

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »

OR

If the airplane was travelling East to West or vice versa then the Coriolis Effect isn't going to have the same desired outcome that you're thinking we believe it would. Objects have no reason to veer off to the right or left while travelling with the rotation of the Earth. We're not "having it both ways".

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
Warrior:
I'm not on about going with or against the so called Mickey Mouse rotation, I'm on about north to south, south to north.

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
Warrior:
I'm not on about going with or against the so called Mickey Mouse rotation, I'm on about north to south, south to north.

Then yes, the airplane and any object fast enough to move to a point that is horizontally moving faster than the object is before said object has a chance to catch up will veer off course. What's so difficult about that?

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »

But we do.........?

The english language is weak with this one.

Theory:
"a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine."

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

But we do.........?

Theory:
"a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine."

I wouldn't say law is synonymous in terms of science because a law describes why something happens, whereas a theory describes what's happening.

Dog

• Literally a dog
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »

But we do.........?

Theory:

I wouldn't say law is synonymous in terms of science because a law describes why something happens, whereas a theory describes what's happening.

Eh, take it up with dictionary.com haha

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Yea, they both do both, but a law is proven and a theory hasn't (at least as much).
Why use evidence
Ok

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »

Sceptimatic, these are the speeds of the earth at different latitudes.  The coriolis effect happens when objects, i.e. clouds, planes, artillery shells or jumping sceptimatics move between them.  Your inertia, for example at say 40 degrees, has you moving at 807 mph.  If you were to try to fly straight north to 50 degrees, your inertia will keep your 807 mph inertia, even though the ground below you is only moving at 677 mph.  Understand yet?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »

Sceptimatic, these are the speeds of the earth at different latitudes.  The coriolis effect happens when objects, i.e. clouds, planes, artillery shells or jumping sceptimatics move between them.  Your inertia, for example at say 40 degrees, has you moving at 807 mph.  If you were to try to fly straight north to 50 degrees, your inertia will keep your 807 mph inertia, even though the ground below you is only moving at 677 mph.  Understand yet?
By this thought, you should be able to hover a few hundred feet in the air in , say, a helicopter and watch the ground move under you, whilst you are still from your stand point, even though someone looking from outside Earth would see you spinning round the Earth at the equator.

If you pointed your helicopter to hover, allowing you to look North or south, you should see things pass below you.
If you can't ,. then the artillery shell trajectory theory is a complete load of old pony.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
By this thought, you should be able to hover a few hundred feet in the air in , say, a helicopter and watch the ground move under you, whilst you are still from your stand point, even though someone looking from outside Earth would see you spinning round the Earth at the equator.
technically, this is true, but probably not for the reason you think it does, and the effect felt by a helicopter flying a few hundred feet up will be tiny.  Remember, if a helicopter takes off from the equator, it's inertia will keep it moving around the earth at 1052 mph, but like a car on the outside lane of a curve having to go faster to keep up with cars on the inside lanes, the helicopter would have to fly faster to keep up with the ground.

If you pointed your helicopter to hover, allowing you to look North or south, you should see things pass below you.
If you can't ,. then the artillery shell trajectory theory is a complete load of old pony.
Like I said, the inertia of the helicopter keeps it moving at 1052 mph like it was while it was on the ground.  Turning to face north or south does not change that speed.  If it were to actually fly north or south, it would encounter latitudes that are moving more slowly, but not effecting the speed the helicopter got from the equator.  The Helicopters GPS would then show it drifting eastward as it overtakes the earth's speed at these places.

The artillery shell problem is a real problem.  It isn't a theory.