Issues with mods

• 176 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Issues with mods
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
Then perhaps you should explain what reminding myself that this is the Flat Earth Society have to do with calling FE'ers out on their lack of intellectual integrity.

I really do not mean to disrespect you.  You have been here a lot longer than I have.  I am just trying to figure out what your crusade is.  Is it to absolutely stomp out FET, like TK?  Or is it to block noobs from posting?  Or maybe it is an egocentric desire to feel superior?  I don't know.  All I know is that, for years, you have been logging onto a forum called The Flat Earth Society only to say, "The Earth is round".

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
We cannot ban people because other people find them boring. That would be a bad thing, and in my opinion would be totally out of keeping with the site's ethos and values. I still feel uneasy about purgatory, and worry I may have opened something of a Pandora's box by doing so. Perhaps we can modify the rules in some way, but it cannot just be a means of filtering long-term RE'ers.

We have tried routinely banning proxies in the past. This was unpopular among certain members of the site. Almost everything is. We can try it again, but it's not as though this is something that has never been thought of before.

I cannot come to the forum as often as I would like. I try to get a bit of posting in here and there, but I can only get on so often. In my time here, what I have learned is that the upper boards are always best when there are plenty of people defending FET, be they newcomers or regulars. How we encourage that, or if we really can, is another matter.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
Then perhaps you should explain what reminding myself that this is the Flat Earth Society have to do with calling FE'ers out on their lack of intellectual integrity.

I really do not mean to disrespect you.  You have been here a lot longer than I have.  I am just trying to figure out what your crusade is.  Is it to absolutely stomp out FET, like TK?
Absolutely not.  The authors of the FAQ say that FE'ers are serious about the earth being flat and I take their word at that.  As far as I'm concerned, bullying and intellectual dishonesty are not good signs that FE'ers are interested in a serious debate. 

Or is it to block noobs from posting?  Or maybe it is an egocentric desire to feel superior?  I don't know.  All I know is that, for years, you have been logging onto a forum called The Flat Earth Society only to say, "The Earth is round".
Check my post history.  I rarely say "the earth is round".  I have repeatedly said that my goal is to try to help make FET a better theory by pointing out that the evidence doesn't support their model(s).  It's not my fault that FE'ers keep promoting the same flawed models.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
I have repeatedly said that my goal is to try to help make FET a better theory by pointing out that the evidence doesn't support their model(s).
How do you keep evading purgatory? Your goal is to shit on everyone else's suggestions? What an asset you are. Thanks for your most generous contribution to the site.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
I have repeatedly said that my goal is to try to help make FET a better theory by pointing out that the evidence doesn't support their model(s).
How do you keep evading purgatory? Your goal is to shit on everyone else's suggestions? What an asset you are. Thanks for your most generous contribution to the site.

Hi Thork
The earth is round because the space man said so.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
Thank you for proving my point.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
Thank you for proving my point.

markjo, think of us as theoretical physicists. We have proven that the Earth is flat. You of all people should know that by now. We post theory and hypothesis, and when we have a more solid theory and resources, will test it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, instead of adding more rules, the best solution is really just to ignore posts from permanoobs.  If they make a new point, one that they haven't already made a thousand times, then there's no problem with discussing it, but don't waste any more time indulging the usual repeats.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, instead of adding more rules, the best solution is really just to ignore posts from permanoobs.  If they make a new point, one that they haven't already made a thousand times, then there's no problem with discussing it, but don't waste any more time indulging the usual repeats.

Then we end up with a reputation for ignoring questions we 'can't answer'.

?

Thork

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
the best solution is really just to ignore posts from permanoobs
Tried it. They know they get ignored so they just make a new account and pretend to be new to the site. We can't ignore new people else the site will die.

The ONLY solution is to ban proxies to stop this abuse.

Also what Tausami said.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

Among whom?  The permanoobs?  I don't care what they think.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »

Among whom?  The permanoobs?  I don't care what they think.

The world. People who come here tell their friends about how crazy we are, and if we regularly ignore people that will become one of the things they say about us. It'll be further proof to them that we're crazy pseudo-scienticians

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
If there are other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
I'm all up for the ignoring. Make a list.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Thork

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
They'll just make new accounts like they did last time.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:07 PM »
They'll just make new accounts like they did last time.

Just ignore anyone that posts in that stupid way they do. If they make new accounts and stop posting like that the goal is reached.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
The mods need to use their discretion and bam the noobs to purgatory, where they can possibly learn that that the upper forums are for serious discussions. The rules and grids are already in place. More rigorous enforcement in the uppers will help end these nefarious noobs from ruining genuine debate.A few bams have taught me to watch it in the uppers, some noobs come on here and spout all kind of crap, and keep on doing it. IMO. more short term bans would help.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »
I think we should also get a bit more stringent about which threads belong in which forum. Questions shouldn't go in General and conspiracy topics shouldn't go in debate. That way we can more easily avoid topics we don't care about. The dumb, repetitive, angry noob topics can be confined to Q&A where people who don't want to be bothered by them don't have to be. Debate can be reserved for serious discussions among serious people, and General can be everything else. You know,  like the descriptions of them claim.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
Put the really annoying ones in super purgatory, where they can only post in CN and AR.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
SCG, when they are placed in purgatory, they just make new accounts.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
Start banning their proxies, not all the proxies, just the ones the alts are using. Or stop giving them so much fucking attention.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »
Or stop giving them so much fucking attention.

I really think this is the best solution.  I'm quite positive that the likes of TK or CET get a raging boner every time Thork baws about them.

Sorry, Thork, but the idea of banning any REer who has more than 500 posts, or even putting them in Purgatory, is dumb. 

I've gotten to where I like the idea of banning proxies, though.  We currently have a strong rule against the creation of alts that is literally unenforceable for anyone who has the least idea of how to use the internet.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
i've been a moderator on another forum where sockpuppets are not allowed, which is what i assume you mean by alts and proxies?

we used some standard tests for identical ISP addresses and a few other mechanical methods available through SMF, and then looked over the accounts carefully for similarities in time online, subject matter, vocabulary and style to identify the socks.

can't tell about the good ones, but the dumb sockpuppets were usually picked out pretty quickly.
true wisdom is always concise

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »
i've been a moderator on another forum where sockpuppets are not allowed, which is what i assume you mean by alts and proxies?

It's what we mean by alts.  Proxy servers are something completely different, and if you don't know what they are, well, I imagine you had some difficulty doing your job.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
A proxie basically means that a person goes through another computer or server before getting to your website, so that the person's IP does not show up; the proxie IP shows up.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
This is why you can't simply ignore them http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,57490.0.html#.UQoNW-h8vTg They latch onto every new thread and bombard it with how they think we'll answer.  This problem has gotten much better since the creation of purgatory.  I could ban DN (still might), but it would just be inviting an alt as this ban would be quite lengthy with the number of rules broken and proximity to the last ban.

Could get him on rule 7. Trouble making, 8. Low-content Posting/Derailment, and 10. Disputing moderation.  With the proximity multiplier it would look something like this:

(14 + 14 + 14)4 = 168 days.  That's almost half a year.  I don't want to do that.  Must I though?  He obviously isn't learning anything.  But like I said, he's nothing more than a proxie away from jumping right back in.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:18:53 PM by Pongo »

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:54 AM »
I like purgatory. Even if they make new alts, if you don't notice that they are alts it's no problem. And if they're posting in the same way on their alt as on their old account, put that in purgatory as well. I would probably get sick of making alts after 1 time, so I would estimate that you would only have to put about 10 alts of TK in there for him to get annoyed enough to either go away or post normally.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
It wasn't that long ago when people like Dinosaur Neil saw the fun in switching to the flat side, but somehow it has become more fun for them to stay on the round side. Maybe we should figure out why.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
It wasn't that long ago when people like Dinosaur Neil saw the fun in switching to the flat side, but somehow it has become more fun for them to stay on the round side. Maybe we should figure out why.

Lack of intelligence?

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »

What'd ye mean, cowgirl?
The earth is round because the space man said so.