How about a 'Flat Earth experiments' discussion board

• 50 Replies
How about a 'Flat Earth experiments' discussion board
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
Seems like it would be really handy for keeping track of who's done what experiments.

Methods, issues encountered, results, suggestions, etc.

It'd light the fire under some to document their findings.  I'm aware this could fall under "Flat Earth Debate" but I think it would weed out the "hypothetical talk" from the "hard-proof" stuff.

I know there are often times someone thinks of an experiment and a person on the board might already know something about that experiment being tried before and could offer advice.  Also, I think it would be a great place to browse threads to get ideas.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

?

EduardoVS-BR

• Flat Earth Editor
  • I respect both theories.
Re: How about a 'Flat Earth experiments' discussion board
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Agreed. We should create that.

"People are like books: they need to be read. Don't stop reading on the cover, for there is a lot of wealth hidden beyond non-attractive covers." - Fábio de Melo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:19 AM »
do they do experiments? ??? but yeah would be a usfull thing. would like to see all the modern scientific reaserch behind their hypothesis

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
That's generally what the information repository is for.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »

Yes, except the information repository is full of incorrect garbage like ILM being an offshoot of Pixar, and if corrections are posted they are deleted again. It's a worthless section of the forum where false evidence may be presented but nobody can counter it with better evidence.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

Yes, except the information repository is full of incorrect garbage like ILM being an offshoot of Pixar, and if corrections are posted they are deleted again. It's a worthless section of the forum where false evidence may be presented but nobody can counter it with better evidence.

I agree with this, and I think this section could be a good idea. I think it could be great for anybody to post their experiments, not just the FE'ers. As FlatOrange stated, anybody could help by giving suggestions, pointing out mistakes, and such. I think it would ge a good way for anybody to post their experiments and to study them with an open mind.

Lorddave

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

Are you suggesting that experimental data should be corrected after posting?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »

Are you suggesting that experimental data should be corrected after posting?

I'm saying that FE'ers could post fake data in there without doing an experiment, and if 10 other people then perform the experiment and discover the results don't match, the incorrect data remains in the repository, untouchable and uncorrectable. Information in the repository should not be taken as fact. There's all sorts of un-FET related info in there that's just plain wrong - and provably so.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »
I'm saying that FE'ers could post fake data in there without doing an experiment, and if 10 other people then perform the experiment and discover the results don't match, the incorrect data remains in the repository, untouchable and uncorrectable. Information in the repository should not be taken as fact. There's all sorts of un-FET related info in there that's just plain wrong - and provably so.

It's called an 'information repository', as opposed to a 'fact repository', for a reason. If you wish to challenge what is in there, open a thread in one of the other boards doing so. The repository is intended only as a useful place to post various, and often unrelated, pieces of information pertaining to FET, Zeteticism, the Flat Earth Society, ancient cosmology/thought, or the Conspiracy. Much of it is mutually exclusive or conflicting, so it is quite obviously not intended to be taken as a compendium of truth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:51:38 AM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:01 AM »

It's called an 'information repository', as opposed to a 'fact repository', for a reason. If you wish to challenge what is in there, open a thread in one of then other boards doing so. The repository is intended only as a useful place to post various, and often unrelated, pieces of information pertaining to FET, Zeteticism, the Flat Earth Society, ancient cosmology/thought, or the Conspiracy. Much of it is mutually exclusive or conflicting, so it is quite obviously not intended to be taken as a compendium of truth.

Since the bit I disputed is now in another thread in a different section, I expect you to go and make the necessary alterations regarding Sandokhan's claims about ILM and Pixar, then.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Why? ???
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »
Why? ???

Because another thread has been opened in which the incorrect content of the Information Repository was challenged. You said that's the thing to do. Now that particular content is not opinion, nor guessing, but public domain information that can be commonly found with a brief search on Google, then the corollary to opening a thread to highlight it should be that the offending material is examined and acted upon if a correction is necessary.
A correction is necessary. A moderator should make that correction. Reluctance to do so simply looks like you don't care whether the information is correct or not. In which case, we can all go in and post threads saying every building in New York is built from bananas.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

It's called an 'information repository', as opposed to a 'fact repository', for a reason. If you wish to challenge what is in there, open a thread in one of then other boards doing so. The repository is intended only as a useful place to post various, and often unrelated, pieces of information pertaining to FET, Zeteticism, the Flat Earth Society, ancient cosmology/thought, or the Conspiracy. Much of it is mutually exclusive or conflicting, so it is quite obviously not intended to be taken as a compendium of truth.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:07 AM »

That's fine. We can all go in and make threads about how New York is built of bananas and no moderator action will be taken, as there is no need for that board section to reflect truth. Just so we're all on the same page regarding this issue.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:16 AM »

That's fine. We can all go in and make threads about how New York is built of bananas and no moderator action will be taken, as there is no need for that board section to reflect truth. Just so we're all on the same page regarding this issue.

It's called an 'information repository', as opposed to a 'fact repository', for a reason. If you wish to challenge what is in there, open a thread in one of the other boards doing so. The repository is intended only as a useful place to post various, and often unrelated, pieces of information pertaining to FET, Zeteticism, the Flat Earth Society, ancient cosmology/thought, or the Conspiracy. Much of it is mutually exclusive or conflicting, so it is quite obviously not intended to be taken as a compendium of truth.

www.rif.org

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
Wilomore, the Information Repository is not a discussion board, it's a repository.  A repository is where where information about old experiments goes to die.  An FE Experiments discussion board could be a place where ideas for new experiments, or reenactments of prior experiments, could be discussed,  (and with any luck at all) coordinated and carried out.  There could even be a thread discussing how to apply for Kickstarter funding to get some of these experiments rolling.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
Wilomore, the Information Repository is not a discussion board, it's a repository.  A repository is where where information about old experiments goes to die.  An FE Experiments discussion board could be a place where ideas for new experiments, or reenactments of prior experiments, could be discussed,  (and with any luck at all) coordinated and carried out.  There could even be a thread discussing how to apply for Kickstarter funding to get some of these experiments rolling.
I'm worried about you. Your IQ seems to be dropping at an alarming rate.

A board for FE experiments is a non-starter for all the obvious reasons. It would be virtually dead and any attempt to use it would be met with derision by the likes of you. We have other boards that are more than capable of housing this kind of thread if it ever comes up. Which it doesn't. As you know. Because you've been here for 5 years.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
A board for FE experiments is a non-starter for all the obvious reasons. It would be virtually dead and any attempt to use it would be met with derision by the likes of you.
That didn't stop them from creating the FE Believers board.  Besides, I've suggested an experiment to record the time and direction of sunrise and sunset on the days of the equinox and it was met with more derision from FE'ers than RE'ers.

We have other boards that are more than capable of housing this kind of thread if it ever comes up. Which it doesn't. As you know. Because you've been here for 5 years.
Perhaps the reason that these kinds of thread don't come up (actually, they do but not very often) is that FE'ers have no interest in actually putting FET to the test.  At least that's the impression that I get after being here for 5 years.

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
A board for FE experiments is a non-starter for all the obvious reasons. It would be virtually dead and any attempt to use it would be met with derision by the likes of you.
That didn't stop them from creating the FE Believers board.  Besides, I've suggested an experiment to record the time and direction of sunrise and sunset on the days of the equinox and it was met with more derision from FE'ers than RE'ers.

We have other boards that are more than capable of housing this kind of thread if it ever comes up. Which it doesn't. As you know. Because you've been here for 5 years.
Perhaps the reason that these kinds of thread don't come up (actually, they do but not very often) is that FE'ers have no interest in actually putting FET to the test.  At least that's the impression that I get after being here for 5 years.

So you agree. This is a stupid idea. Excellent.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
So you agree. This is a stupid idea. Excellent.

It's no more stupid than discussing the shape of the earth.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »

First of all, note that my responses were not directed at the OP.

Secondly, I don't think this has been though through. It would be difficult to manage, and would be open to all kinds of charges of bias etc. The debate board is more than sufficient for this purpose.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
Secondly, I don't think this has been though through. It would be difficult to manage, and would be open to all kinds of charges of bias etc. The debate board is more than sufficient for this purpose.

This is the Flat Earth Society forums, of course there's going to be bias.  Who cares?  Also, how much harder could it be to manage than any of the other debate forums?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
This is the Flat Earth Society forums, of course there's going to be bias.  Who cares?

RE'ers do. See Neil above, who was flipping out about a board that has nothing to do with results.

Also, how much harder could it be to manage than any of the other debate forums?

Considerably more. If it is to be a repo of experiments, as opposed to info, we have to start judging which count as experiments, whether we should move them, how we rank them, etc etc, until a whole set of controversial criteria have to be created and enacted. By us, FE mods, who already get enough flak for bias etc.

It is no "harder" for users to post these threads in the Debate forum as they have always done. The Info Repo began life as a resource, before we had a library. Arguably it is less relevant now, but people still post new info to it from time to time, and that is it's purpose - a forum where users can submit relevant content for people to read.

Experiments, on the other hand, need to be debated and contested. They belong in the debate board.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »
Experiments, on the other hand, need to be debated and contested. They belong in the debate board.

Exactly.  This is why a debate board specifically for experiments was proposed.  In this case, perhaps making it a sub-board of the FE Debate board would be appropriate.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »

Exactly.  This is why a debate board specifically for experiments was proposed.  In this case, perhaps making it a sub-board of the FE Debate board would be appropriate.

As a sub-board I could be in favor of this. As a full board it would be needless clutter, though.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »
Sub forum or not, it would be a dead forum.  No one is missing out on anything by using FEDebate for this function.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
Sub forum or not, it would be a dead forum.  No one is missing out on anything by using FEDebate for this function.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »

That didn't stop them from creating the FE Believers board.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
markjo, do you think making another dead forum would be an improvement, then? Carving up a board into more and more specialized forums is never a good idea, unless there's a clear need for it. It makes the board seem inactive, and it makes people hesitant to post because if what they want to post covers more than one subject then they're confused about where to post it. That already happens in the upper forums as it is.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »

That didn't stop them from creating the FE Believers board.

The Believers board is not as active as I would like, but it at least has a purpose that is not served equally well by the Debate board.