Gravity Inconsistency

• 38 Replies
?

a

• My bid is five, five cacti
Gravity Inconsistency
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
So dark energy pulls the Earth upwards, eh?
(Go here to see how I pwned the FlatEarthSociety:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,57409.0.html#.UP7nVSfhpgI)

Well, imma pwn you some more. If Gravity doesn't exist, how do Io and Ganymede go around Jupiter?
How does, the Moon go around the Earth? How does the Earth go around the sun? How do the other planets move? Do they accelerate upwards too? Blegh.

Educate yourselves on Gravity!
http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html
It's a fun-little game where you can make your own celestial-objects and watch them have intergalactic sex!

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
Re: Gravity Inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
That site seems to tell me that big objects DO attract each other quicker. Now I'm confuzzled again :I (Nice website, was fun.)
The earth is round because the space man said so.

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Full of Tinier Tintagels!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,57409.0.html#.UP7nVSfhpgI)

Well, imma pwn you some more. If Gravity doesn't exist, how do Io and Ganymede go around Jupiter?
How does, the Moon go around the Earth? How does the Earth go around the sun? How do the other planets move? Do they accelerate upwards too? Blegh.

It's a fun-little game where you can make your own celestial-objects and watch them have intergalactic sex!

I do not know about Jupiter's moons, as I have never been there.  Have you?

The moon does not go around the earth.  It circles above it.  The earth does not go around the sun.  The sun circles above us.  As do the planets and the other bodies in the celestial sphere.  And yes, everything appears to be affected by the UA just as the earth is.  If you'd do a little research here before 'pwning' us you may have a better chance at presenting a compelling argument.

?

a

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »

The moon does not go around the earth.  It circles above it.  The earth does not go around the sun.  The sun circles above us.  As do the planets and the other bodies in the celestial sphere.  And yes, everything appears to be affected by the UA just as the earth is.  If you'd do a little research here before 'pwning' us you may have a better chance at presenting a compelling argument.

Well, evidence for Sun and Moon and Planets circling above us plskthnx? :3

?

Thork

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
@ a. Might I ask you to change your signature? The huge animated whirling ball (apart from making me queasy) gobbles lots of bandwidth. Its annoying for those on a slow connection but also for those who have limited broadband or are using mobile devices.

Large signatures are not permitted.

?

a

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
@ a. Might I ask you to change your signature? The huge animated whirling ball (apart from making me queasy) gobbles lots of bandwidth. Its annoying for those on a slow connection but also for those who have limited broadband or are using mobile devices.

Large signatures are not permitted.

You think I didn't try? I tried to resize it with lunapic and upload it to Tumblr, but it would never finish loading on Lunapic. Fine, just for you I'll remove it! :3 <3

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
ty. I'm sure you'll find something cooler. It was all big and jerky anyway.

?

a

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
@Tintagel

Well, you still have to admit the website was fun :V
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:20:23 PM by a »

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH

Well, you still have to admit the website was fun :V

I made you a tiny one v.v In yo messages
The earth is round because the space man said so.

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

Well, evidence for Sun and Moon and Planets circling above us plskthnx? :3

Look up.  Chances are you will see the sun, moon, and/or celestial bodies up there with your very own eyes.

?

a

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
Ok? Go on.....
Ever heard of illusions?

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
Ok? Go on.....
Ever heard of illusions?

Are you trying to say that the sun, moon, and stars are illusions?

?

a

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Ok? Go on.....
Ever heard of illusions?

Are you trying to say that the sun, moon, and stars are illusions?

Nope! Just saying that just because we see the planets and stars, etc. above us... oh wait I forgot, you believe in a flat-earth, so everyone is looking up at the same position. Ugh.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »

tintagel, in your opinion do the sun and the moon circle in a plane parallel to the plane of the earth disc, as it shows in the FAQ, or do you believe that the sun and moon drop below the flat earth horizon and rise opposite, as in sandokhan's alternative theory?

or do you have another idea?
true wisdom is always concise

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »

tintagel, in your opinion do the sun and the moon circle in a plane parallel to the plane of the earth disc, as it shows in the FAQ, or do you believe that the sun and moon drop below the flat earth horizon and rise opposite, as in sandokhan's alternative theory?

The former, as far as I can tell.

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:39 AM »

Why don't we see retrograde movement of the sun and moon then? If you stood in the right place on earth you'd observe them moving across the sky at decreasing speed, pausing, then moving in a different direction again.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:58 AM »

Why don't we see retrograde movement of the sun and moon then? If you stood in the right place on earth you'd observe them moving across the sky at decreasing speed, pausing, then moving in a different direction again.

Where would you have to stand to see retrograde movement of the sun and moon? Changes in speed etc yes but I can't see how the model in question would create that affect.
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

Where would you have to stand to see retrograde movement of the sun and moon? Changes in speed etc yes but I can't see how the model in question would create that affect.

He's referring to the fact that if you do the trigonometry involved the sun and moon should be 10 degrees or so above the horizon at all times.  However, this doesn't account for electromagnetic acceleration bending the light.

Hotlinked illustration:

As you see, once the sun moves far enough away its light is bent to such an extent that it appears to dip below the horizon and cannot be seen again until the next morning.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:09 AM »

He's referring to the fact that if you do the trigonometry involved the sun and moon should be 10 degrees or so above the horizon at all times.  However, this doesn't account for electromagnetic acceleration bending the light.

Hotlinked illustration:

As you see, once the sun moves far enough away its light is bent to such an extent that it appears to dip below the horizon and cannot be seen again until the next morning.

Neil is referring to retrograde motion of the sun, this would be making the sun appear to go in the wrong direction for a period. Essentially the sun travels across the sky east to west, slows down to a stop then starts to move west to east for a time before returning to a east to west motion.

That's a pretty diagram though, does the magnetic acceleration only effect light on a time of day basis or is it based on horizontal distance the light has to travel?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:16:42 AM by Manarq »

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:58 AM »
Does it effect man made light? Stars? Moon shrimp light?or just sun light?

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
Does it effect man made light? Stars? Moon shrimp light?or just sun light?

Yes, light from the stars and moon are also affected in this way.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:29 AM »
Might I suggest that if we're going to discuss your diagram Tintagel that it would be better to start a new thread about it?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:16:06 AM by Manarq »

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »
Back to gravitational inconsistencies it is! Why then can two objects be seen to attract themselves in experiments then ? A.K.A Cavendish experiment

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »

Say you were standing in Africa, for simplicity's sake let' say it's the equinox, when in FET the sun follows a path directly over the equator. You're standing slightly north of the equator. At noon, the sun passes overhead and you watch its progress across the sky, now looking westwards as it's the afternoon. You see the sun move in an apparent southwesterly direction, as it's following a curved arc which moves its path to your left. But soon it reaches the southerly extent of that motion from where you stand, and its curved path brings it in a direction to your right again, apparently northwesterly. This would be perfectly possible to observe while the sun was above the horizon, and indeed would be seen daily by every observer on earth who was close to the sun's track across the ground but slightly inside it. I can draw a diagram if needed.
None of this would be affected by the silly bendy light idea Tintagel is proposing, as that affects only the height of the sun above the horizon, not its lateral movement.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »

Say you were standing in Africa, for simplicity's sake let' say it's the equinox, when in FET the sun follows a path directly over the equator. You're standing slightly north of the equator. At noon, the sun passes overhead and you watch its progress across the sky, now looking westwards as it's the afternoon. You see the sun move in an apparent southwesterly direction, as it's following a curved arc which moves its path to your left. But soon it reaches the southerly extent of that motion from where you stand, and its curved path brings it in a direction to your right again, apparently northwesterly. This would be perfectly possible to observe while the sun was above the horizon, and indeed would be seen daily by every observer on earth who was close to the sun's track across the ground but slightly inside it. I can draw a diagram if needed.
None of this would be affected by the silly bendy light idea Tintagel is proposing, as that affects only the height of the sun above the horizon, not its lateral movement.

Ah I see how it would work now, for some reason I just couldn't see it in my head.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »

I do not know about UK, as I have never been there. I can simpy go there. U can simpy go to a place with decent telescopes, darling;

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »

I do not know about UK, as I have never been there. I can simpy go there. U can simpy go to a place with decent telescopes, darling;

I own a decent telescope and have seen Jupiter and its moons with my eyes.  I did not see what holds them in place, so I cannot speak to that.  I don't dispute that Jupiter exists.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
I own a decent telescope and have seen Jupiter and its moons with my eyes.  I did not see what holds them in place, so I cannot speak to that.  I don't dispute that Jupiter exists.

you don't even need a telescope for the moons of jupiter. an ordinary pair of bird-watching-grade field glasses will work on a clear night.
true wisdom is always concise

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
Back to gravitational inconsistencies it is! Why then can two objects be seen to attract themselves in experiments then ? A.K.A Cavendish experiment

The FE explanation for Cavendish, I'm guessing, would be that gravity affects some things but not others.  In this case, it affects the balls used in the experiment but not the Earth.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
Another couple of issues, Manarg.

under the theory of electromagnetic acceleration, the primary experiment that many flat earthers claim is the proof of the flat earth - that is the Bedford Levels experiment - becomes null and void, as light was assumed to be travelling straight.  I have been shown no documents proving or trying to prove the existence of flat earth through evidence, while assuming that light bends.

Additionally, observers in the southern hemisphere observe the sun rising and setting, from the east to the west, but the path of the sun along a circular equator about the north pole does not take the sun anywhere near east or west of any location south of the tropic of Capricorn.