What are we dealing with?

• 46 Replies
?

Thork

What are we dealing with?
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
I often wonder what the people who come here to tell us we are wrong and that earth is round are like? I mean, they assume I'm some kind of deranged dunce with poor personal hygiene and an unhealthy fascination with my sister. So I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we instead examine the Round Earthers. Those that come here to sling mud.

What are they like? Do they seem like normal people? Are they really smart, interesting cool people? Well below are a few videos I've found with their insights to this site. I'm not too interested in their particular arguments. They obviously haven't been paying attention. I'm more interested in whether those that try to discredit the society are actually worth listening to.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">the flat earth society

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">I hate The Flat Earth Society

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">World/Planet/Universe and the Flat Earth Society

These are the ClockTowers, the Markjos and the Dinosaur Neils who come to our site and I spend precious minutes explaining our theories to.

So, if you are a round earther, why not post a video OP addressing a particular question to prove you are normal first? You'd also be able to say more and get your point across more easily? If you see any other great Angry Noob videos, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Re: What are we dealing with?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »
how do you know these people have bad hygiene? bit of an assumption isn't it?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »
This is very enlightening.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
how do you know these people have bad hygiene? bit of an assumption isn't it?
Reading comprehension is not one of your strong points, is it?

Hey, post a video. I'd be very interested to see it. :D

Below is a little more ranting.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Atheist A**hole's the flat earth society=BULLSH*T!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:48:05 AM by Thork »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
That's most unfair. I'm not any of these people, neither do I make angry videos. I do know who the guy in the first video is, though:
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham ~ Rumours Tour Backstage 1977 ~ Part 1
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »
Quite interesting. Especially the second one. Beyond the annoyingness of his voice, he hates us? He discovered we exist, and automatically despised us? So much so that he titled his video such? It really does say much about humanity that we find a group of people who disagree with us and immediately hate with them for such.

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Flat Earth Society Has Evidence!

This guy is kinda reasonable. I'm not sure I'd take his word over say Tom Bishop's or Lord Wilmore's though.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
Oooh. We have another militant scientific fundamentalist here.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Psychotic Pseudoscience!

This lady isn't keen on us but thinks we are 'mostly harmless'. She has more of a beef with Young earth creationists because Science >o<
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:05:51 AM by Thork »

?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Science Proves Earth is Flat!

Why do these people think they are so convincing? Its mystifying. :-\

?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Lawrence's V-Lag #4: Update, Flat Earth Society, and more...

Oooh, this guy has a little intro which kind of acts as a sanity check before he starts to discredit the flat earth society. He's been here too.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
I bet TK has made a video or two. What was his IRL name again?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
So this is what you do when you are proven wrong about differences in gravity at different parts of the world?  Mudslinging?

I'll count all the forum rules you've potentially broken:
5. Flaming and Harassment
Do not use insulting or denigrating personal attacks against other members. Harassment or bullying of other members is forbidden.
(naming certain members and implying they are like the camwhores in those videos)
7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.).
(this one should be obvious)

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to see if rules are applied equally to supporters of either theory.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
No, this is what we do when we choose to kick back and laugh at people a bit. This is a society, remember. Argue about the shape of the Earth is not the only thing we do here. I assure you, this thread has nothing to do with the contents of any other thread except possibly for a recent one in which we discussed the arrogance of certain newcomers to the site.

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
So this is what you do when you are proven wrong about differences in gravity at different parts of the world?  Mudslinging?

I'll count all the forum rules you've potentially broken:
5. Flaming and Harassment
Do not use insulting or denigrating personal attacks against other members. Harassment or bullying of other members is forbidden.
(naming certain members and implying they are like the camwhores in those videos)
7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.).
(this one should be obvious)

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to see if rules are applied equally to supporters of either theory.
Seriously, what is wrong with you? You have this us vs them siege mentality. If you can't enjoy some of the frankly laughable videos people make about us, you need to have a little step back.

Also, how can I be flaming or harassing people, just for posting their videos which they publicly put on youtube themselves, about this very site?
And how is this trouble making? There will only be trouble if you try to cause some. The rest of us will just be enjoying the videos.

You seem to sum up the soullessness of many of those who come here. We have and will continue to enjoy a sense of humour, whether you like that or not. This is our society. IN VERITATE VICTORIA!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:41:51 AM by Thork »

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
I haue a friend who at a young age became a fundamentalist Christian.

He was the real deal, uery deuout, spending all his spare time euangelising. He really walked the walk. Time went on, about 10 years or so. He gradually changed his uiews. In some ways quite radically. Although, he would still say he is a Christian, a lot of his old uiews haue long gone out the window.

I asked him once, sincerely, what did he learn most from his time as a fundamentalist Christian. He said, "Neuer nail your colours too firmly to the mast about anything."

Mizuki x
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:00:03 AM by Mizuki »
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

?

Thork

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">#ws
^has a rude thumbnail.

The lengths people go to discredit us. Its truly staggering. :o

Also, wise words as ever Mizuki, wise words.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
So if I post a video of myself talking about FES, do we also get to see some videos of resident FE'rs talking about RE'rs?

?

Thork

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
So if I post a video of myself talking about FES, do we also get to see some videos of resident FE'rs talking about RE'rs?
Why not?

I've toyed with doing vlog type OPs before, but didn't because I thought the focus of the discussion would then be more about me than my observations. There is a video of Ichi in the repository area for example, talking about the effect of moonlight on plants.

rooster

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">FLAT EARTH SOCIETY??!?!??! FAIL!

Wow. Another one.

ahahahaha, oh man.

Come on, RE noobs. I'm a round-earther and these are hilarious.
Anyone who makes ranting videos in their bedroom and posts them on youtube is up for ridicule.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
I don't know what's more annoying about most of these people: the way they look, or the way they sound.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
to be fair most people sound odd when recording themselves over cheep pc microphones.

Rushy

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
HAY GUISE I JUS WANTED 2 MAKE THIS VID BCUZ I THINK FLAT EARTH IS STOOPID, OKAY? MY MOM SAYS ITS STUPED TOO!

?

Thork

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
HAY GUISE I JUS WANTED 2 MAKE THIS VID BCUZ I THINK FLAT EARTH IS STOOPID, OKAY? MY MOM SAYS ITS STUPED TOO!
Whilst this thread is a bit of fun, its still in the upper fora.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
Why not?

I've toyed with doing vlog type OPs before, but didn't because I thought the focus of the discussion would then be more about me than my observations. There is a video of Ichi in the repository area for example, talking about the effect of moonlight on plants.

Is he the "negative" guy? I just assumed that was Wilmore. I did get a freeze frame and photoshop it back to positive to see what he really looked like though. I didn't watch the whole video, it was kinda dull.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
There should be a video FAQ

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
There should be a video FAQ

That's a neat idea.  FET explained by our most charismatic members, which would naturally exclude Parsifal.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
Yeah be good if its not somebody with a mono tone voice. Keep it entertaining, funny even, but informative.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
I'm interested.