Attention FES

• 30 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Attention FES
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
Even though I've been of age for a while, I finally had my first drinks last night.
Had pinot grigio wine, tortuga rum and coke, rum and dr pepper, rum and coke again, rum and coke again, and finally vodka and orange juice.
My thoughts:
The wine tasted like ass.
Rum and coke/dr pepper: Alright. Generally good tasting but not fantastic.
Orange juice and vodka: Tasted the best out of everything.

Didn't even get buzzed  :-\
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Re: Attention FES
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
adult beverages will lead to the dark side.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
Or the drunk side..  ;D

rooster

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »
Orange juice and vodka are good but Pinot Grigio is delicious. But I love white wines. Wine drunk is my favorite drunk.

Nonstandardson Eegunk

• Super Creepo Assbitch
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
Next time try a Stillbirth, which is equal parts tequila and melted ice cream with 2 dashes of tabasco, garnished with raw pork fat.
All the world's a stage. STAGES are FLAT. -Isaac Newton

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
Pinot Grigio typically (and infamously) tastes like lollipops or non. There is the odd nice one, but it's really rare, and it's a reflection of the sad fact that most people who drink alcoholic drinks either want them to taste like sugary childrens' drinks, or they don't want to taste them at all. The exception is beer, where it's almost exclusively about not tasting it at all. See: almost all mainstream beers. A really nice wine-shop owner near me tells me that his biggest selling wine (a Pinot Grigio as it happens) is also one of his worst. He says it's not a terrible wine, just quite non and boring. But people like it for that reason.

Next time have a dry white like Chenin Blanc or Chardonnay. The latter can be a bit bland, but at least it won't taste like there are six spoons of sugar in it. Avoid the Pinot Grigio. Same goes for Sauvignon Blanc, unless you get a recommendation in a nice wine shop. Recommendations are a great way to go, actually, especially if you ask the right way. If a shop-owner doesn't know you and you don't know much about wine, they may well try and sell you wine that they think you'll like, as per the above paragraph. So tell them that you've tried Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc (or whatever) in bars or restaurants, but haven't enjoyed it, and want to taste a good example of that kind of wine. You'll get a proper recommendation then.

It doesn't have to be expensive, it's just that getting a recommendation is a lot easier than starting from scratch and working out what grape varieties you like. I rarely drink anything that costs more than 10 euro (bearing in mind that 5 euro is the absolute cheapest filth you can get), but I know which supermarkets sell wine that is good value for money (as opposed to overpriced crap), and the kind of grapes I like. I also know which stores sell the kind of grape varieties and blends I like. Chenin Blanc is actually tough to find, but it's probably my favourite white. There are also some grapes that just don't do it for me. I've probably only tasted maybe one Merlot that I really liked. It's nice in some blends, but mostly I find it boring. I'm not a Nero D'Avola fan either.

Not to blather on, but basically don't write-off wine based on one bad example. Who knows, you may even discover a nice Pinot Grigio some day, though that's the kind of discovery that gets you a Nobel. :)
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

rooster

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »
White wines on the dryer side are better.

I was going to make some remark on the pretentiousness of wine aficionados thinking the taste of bitter stale poop is superior and makes them better people, but I'll leave it at that. I mean, a lot of people just don't enjoy the taste of alcohol and that's the way it is, hardly anything sad about that.

There are a lot of different tastes to wine, you just kinda have to experiment. And some people just don't like wine.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
Yeah, I have found so far that I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol...  i can drink whiskey and other alcohols straight without cringing or what have you, but if you put a nice glass of whiskey in front of me and a nice beer, My hand is always going to head towards the beer.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
White wines on the dryer side are better.

I was going to make some remark on the pretentiousness of wine aficionados thinking the taste of bitter stale poop is superior and makes them better people, but I'll leave it at that. I mean, a lot of people just don't enjoy the taste of alcohol and that's the way it is, hardly anything sad about that.

There are a lot of different tastes to wine, you just kinda have to experiment. And some people just don't like wine.

It is sad when you consider the prices people pay for stuff that is cheaply produced and has no flavour, and which they only drink because it gets them drunk. Booze shouldn't just be a delivery mechanism, and even if you just feel like getting hammered sometimes, there's no reason to pay the likes of Budweiser and Miller a single cent. These companies aren't the biggest because they make the best stuff, but because they market it well and price themselves cleverly. I actually prefer the really cheap cans you get in off-licences, because they often taste (slightly) better, and are at least priced accordingly.

I'm not really a 'wine afficionado'. Sure, I know the grapes I like, but I also know the crisp flavours I like best. Like I said, most of the wine I buy comes from supermarkets that carry the lines of specific producers and is fairly cheap. The difference is that it isn't produced by a major label which spends most of its money on marketing, and in flavour-terms aims to be consistently inoffensive and unremarkable. The big corporations of the drinks industry work exactly the same way as the fast-food industry: by taking bland, low-quality products, and marketing them well. I mean, every few months I get a serious craving for a double cheeseburger from McDonalds, but I don't think it's good, or that chicken burgers are bad just because the ones at McDonalds taste like filth.

I know some people really don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, but in my experience there's usually a correlation between that and what they are drinking. I never liked beer until I had a decent one, and then I instantly liked it. I wasn't even fancy stuff, just decent German beer. Now I love beer, but I still think Miller tastes godawful.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »
I don't even consider the likes of Budweiser to be 'beer' at all.

I was so happy when a new pub opened within 100m of my flat which stocks only its own-brewed beers, no mainstream lagers at all. I've come to appreciate a proper dark beer or ale so much more than the pale junk you try when you start drinking.

As for wine, I don't have any real preference for whites as I'm a red man. Give me a nice merlot any day.

There are some very nice rums, but coke tends to spoil them - also Pepsi is a better mixer of the two. Next time try a spiced rum and apple juice. Luvverly.

I've never had a nice vodka outside Russia.

rooster

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »
But I drink white wines for the taste and not to get wasted but apparently that means I'm drinking crap that I don't want to taste.  ???
All the wine we drink is cheap and white and suits my palate.
And advertisement doesn't work here since wines aren't really advertised or at least I don't see them.

I don't know why people drink Miller. And working at a grocery store I rarely see anyone actually buy Miller. People most frequently buy some more unknown brand, IPA, cider, or something like Guinness or Newcastle. People will tend to buy Miller for big groups like barbecues or on game days.

Sorry about your McDonald's problem. I've stopped eating fast food so when I went there on break one day I almost threw up afterward. Not having cable helps with temptation I suppose.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
I'm personally partial to Strawberry Hill wines

Nonstandardson Eegunk

• Super Creepo Assbitch
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
I'm quite fnord of Bandit Peno Grigio.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »
We have some very nice local Pinot Gris here in BC.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
I don't even consider the likes of Budweiser to be 'beer' at all.

I was so happy when a new pub opened within 100m of my flat which stocks only its own-brewed beers, no mainstream lagers at all. I've come to appreciate a proper dark beer or ale so much more than the pale junk you try when you start drinking.

As for wine, I don't have any real preference for whites as I'm a red man. Give me a nice merlot any day.

There are some very nice rums, but coke tends to spoil them - also Pepsi is a better mixer of the two. Next time try a spiced rum and apple juice. Luvverly.

I've never had a nice vodka outside Russia.

Tried this recently and it was fantastic.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
When I'm not trying to be too impressive in my tastes I can usually be found with a nice Mad Dog 20/20.  But when I'm really trying to be très chic I reach for the Boone's Farm.  Fuzzy Navel and Strawberry Daiquiri are the best but they're all good!
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
When I'm not trying to be too impressive in my tastes I can usually be found with a nice Mad Dog 20/20.  But when I'm really trying to be très chic I reach for the Boone's Farm.  Fuzzy Navel and Strawberry Daiquiri are the best but they're all good!

So true.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »
When I'm not trying to be too impressive in my tastes I can usually be found with a nice Mad Dog 20/20. 
Ah, yes.  Last week was a good year.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:39 PM »
2 words - westons vintage. aka black top. good old cider from herefordshire.
1 bottle tastes great, 6 bottles and you are well gone. also waitrose usually has them on offer!
a while back they sold every bottle in my town apart from one. not to worry though cos it ended up in my basket.

Nonstandardson Eegunk

• Super Creepo Assbitch
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
I will admit to having a bit of a taste for Glenfiddich 12 year. As well as Jim Beam Rhy and really most whiskeys that aren't shit, like most every Johhny Walker, Most every Dewar's, and like tons of others too those are just the ones I know to ask for. Nothing wrong with Jack Daniels.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »

So true.
When I used to drink, the chemicals in that Mad Dog 20 20 stuff used to give some wild dreams.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »

I find the Boon's Farm blue to have forward aromas of blueberries, watermelon, and blue 43. The flavor is accentuated with spice, mellow tannin, and a smooth sugary after taste. While 20/20's tannin is overpowering and the aroma, well do you know how when you eat too much sugar you get those white sores on your tongue? It does that to my nose. The tast is fine after the second bottle though.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
I know it may seem unsophisticated to some of you, but a 40 of Colt 45 under the bridge really brings me back to reality. 

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
and really most whiskeys that aren't shit, like most every Johhny Walker,

wat

Nothing wrong with Jack Daniels.

wat
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
But I drink white wines for the taste and not to get wasted but apparently that means I'm drinking crap that I don't want to taste.  ???
All the wine we drink is cheap and white and suits my palate.
And advertisement doesn't work here since wines aren't really advertised or at least I don't see them.

I have no problem with white wine. In fact, I recommended some whites to Ichi. I just think Pinot Grigio is generally really boring. Lots of people do. I did actually have a nice one once (wasn't expensive) that was all dry and lovely and pear-flavoured. But it's known that they are kind of unusual. Not necessarily expensive, just unusual due to market expectations. Just singling it down to Pinot Gris can helo a lot, as it's typically much drier, and can indicate a different target-market in terms of flavour.

I don't know why people drink Miller. And working at a grocery store I rarely see anyone actually buy Miller. People most frequently buy some more unknown brand, IPA, cider, or something like Guinness or Newcastle. People will tend to buy Miller for big groups like barbecues or on game days.

I know quite a few people who drink Miller and only Miller. It's basically the crap beer that they like most. For a long time that was what you had to choose from over here - I get the sense that craft beer has long been a much more healthy industry in the US than the British Isles. I think this is something that is changing though, as I see a lot more shops offering craft, faux-craft, or European (especially German) beers, and I've even started seeing local breweries on supermarket shelves (e.g. Tesco) of late.

Sorry about your McDonald's problem. I've stopped eating fast food so when I went there on break one day I almost threw up afterward. Not having cable helps with temptation I suppose.esco)

I don't generally eat fast food, but when I get that feeling, Double Cheeseburger healing etc.

rooster

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Interesting. I always assumed the UK would have a healthy appreciation for microbreweries and the like. The Nashville area has a few nice restaurants/pub/microbreweries.

Nonstandardson Eegunk

• Super Creepo Assbitch
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
wat

You don't like black label or jack daniels? Weird.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »
Interesting. I always assumed the UK would have a healthy appreciation for microbreweries and the like. The Nashville area has a few nice restaurants/pub/microbreweries.

The UK is better than Ireland, but the craft-beer industries of both have lagged well behind the US until quite recently. But it's definitely turning around, which is good because beer nom nom

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »

rooster

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
Be sure to try Riesling. Those are my favorite white wines and they're usually on the dry side.