Three simple proofs that the earth is a SPHERE

• 31 Replies
?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
Three simple proofs that the earth is a SPHERE
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
I have read several threads here about the flat earth theory and I concluded that it all may look real at first sight, but it completely fails in three main points:

1. The midnight sun in Antarctica - During the austral summer, it is possible to see the sun 24 hours a day in Antarctica. The sun stops and raises again, instead of set around 6:00 pm, as in the other parts of the world. In the flat earth commonest model (the one that decipts Antarctica as an ice ring around earth), the midnight sun is impossible. I searched about it on this forum, and I found an explanation for it, that I found totally implausible. The explanation was "the midnight sun in Antarctica is caused by the brightness of the sun in ice structures, that reflect the lights to the other parts, making the Antarctica ring shiny". I will explain why this is impossible in a flat earth in some points:
A - The brightness on the ice would not go to the opposite dark side of the world and make it shine; sun's rays aren't that powerful. If you think I'm wrong, why the oceans do not reflect each other too? Water has the same reflecting capacity that ice has.
B - Why it is possible to see the sun in the sky even if it is in the other side of the world? It's completely illogical.  :-[

2. Ascent and descent of the sun - If the sun is the whole time in the same altitude above earth's surface, why we can see it raise and set?  I have also searched for this in the forums, and found a explanation saying this is a matter of perspective. Why?! This makes no sense. You can see clearly the sun  the sun going up and down and it isn't an optical illusion.

3. Different skies in northern and southern hemispheres - If you look to the sky at night, you see completely different stars depending on what hemisphere you are in; and there is no way to see stars from another hemisphere. In a flat earth, the sky would be the same in all parts of the world. Or at least, we would be able to see stars from another hemisphere using a telescope. That's why the sky is sometimes called celestial sphere.

I want to know how these three things are possible in a flat earth. And, I want evidences and sources for your claims, instead of things immediately invented by your own heads only for supply necessities of these pseudoscientific theories.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:10:02 PM by Round Earther »

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
Re: Three simple proofs that the earth is a SPHERE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »
Nobody?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
I am moving your thread to the correct board. Please be patient; our members are not on-call.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Tintagel

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Full of Tinier Tintagels!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
I have read several threads here about the flat earth theory and I concluded that it all may look real at first sight, but it completely fails in three main points:

1. The midnight sun in Antarctica - During the austral summer, it is possible to see the sun 24 hours a day in Antarctica. The sun stops and raises again, instead of set around 6:00 pm, as in the other parts of the world. In the flat earth commonest model (the one that decipts Antarctica as an ice ring around earth), the midnight sun is impossible. I searched about it on this forum, and I found an explanation for it, that I found totally implausible. The explanation was "the midnight sun in Antarctica is caused by the brightness of the sun in ice structures, that reflect the lights to the other parts, making the Antarctica ring shiny". I will explain why this is impossible in a flat earth in some points:
A - The brightness on the ice would not go to the opposite dark side of the world and make it shine; sun's rays aren't that powerful. If you think I'm wrong, why the oceans do not reflect each other too? Water has the same reflecting capacity that ice has.
B - Why it is possible to see the sun in the sky even if is in the other side of the world? It's completely illogical.  :-[

2. Ascent and descent of the sun - If the sun is the whole time in the same altitude above earth's surface, why we can see it raise and set?  I have also searched for this in the forums, and found a explanation saying this is a matter of perspective. Why?! This makes no sense. You can see clearly the sun  the sun going up and down and it isn't an optical illusion.

3. Different skies in northern and southern hemispheres - If you look to the sky at night, you see completely different stars depending on what hemisphere you are in; and there is no way to see stars from another hemisphere. In a flat earth, the sky would be the same in all parts of the world. Or at least, we would be able to see stars from another hemisphere using a telescope. That's why the sky is sometimes called celestial sphere.

I want to know how these three things are possible in a flat earth. And, I want evidences and sources for your claims, instead of things immediately invented by your own heads only for supply necessities of these pseudoscientific theories.

All right, I'll bite.  But it's late, so this is going to be brief - probably too brief for your tastes, but some of the other members will hopefully flesh things out a bit.

1.  Though RET does predict this to occur, I have never seen it.  Also, there are more than one flat earth model.  Some resolve Antarctica as its own continent rather than a ring and allow for the midnight sun at both poles.

2.  This IS a matter of perspective, combined with a matter of refraction.  As the sun sinks toward the horizon, its light is bent in such a way that it appears lower than it actually is, until it finally (to our eyes) dips out of sight.

3.  Once again - perspective and refraction lend themselves to the effect you see here, as well as other factors which account for the Southern celestial motion and Sigma Octanis to act as southern celestial pole.  These factors will vary depending upon the earth model in use, but in general:  Yes, the hemispheres see different skies.  There are several theoretical models for the motion of the heavens among our members, if you search the forums a bit you'll likely run across several.

I'll flesh this out more tomorrow if no one else does.

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »

B - Why it is possible to see the sun in the sky even if is in the other side of the world? It's completely illogical.  :-[

All right, I'll bite.  But it's late, so this is going to be brief - probably too brief for your tastes, but some of the other members will hopefully flesh things out a bit.

1.  Though RET does predict this to occur, I have never seen it.  Also, there are more than one flat earth model.  Some resolve Antarctica as its own continent rather than a ring and allow for the midnight sun at both poles.

2.  This IS a matter of perspective, combined with a matter of refraction.  As the sun sinks toward the horizon, its light is bent in such a way that it appears lower than it actually is, until it finally (to our eyes) dips out of sight.

3.  Once again - perspective and refraction lend themselves to the effect you see here, as well as other factors which account for the Southern celestial motion and Sigma Octanis to act as southern celestial pole.  These factors will vary depending upon the earth model in use, but in general:  Yes, the hemispheres see different skies.  There are several theoretical models for the motion of the heavens among our members, if you search the forums a bit you'll likely run across several.

1. You have never seen it, but people who travelled to Antartica have seen; will you say that the midnight sun is part of the "conspiracy" too? This point focuses on the ice ring model, I didn't think in other models when I wrote this. If you guys have several models of flat earth, so you don't have a consistent thinking.

2. This is possible, but I'm still skeptic about this. Do you have any evidence?

3. Once again - problem of inconsistency in your theories; if several models are possible, how can we discuss about this? Nevertheless, different skies is a problem in any flat earth model, because it is possible to see another part of a sky above a Earth-sized (510 million square kilometers) plane, using a telescope, even if you see an extremity from the opposite extremity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:04:10 AM by Round Earther »

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
I'll give this a shot, although my knowledge on the matter is limited. That's what you get when you have centuries of misinformation by scientists who started with a faulty premise:

1. On the inner reaches of the ice wall (what you would call the outer reaches of the fictional continent of Antarctica), the Sun appears to be circling overhead during winter. The reason this does not seem to make sense comes from a faulty understanding of the reflective nature of the Sun. Thus, the brightness and perspective of the Suns reflections of the Earth's luminance are different during the different seasons.

2. This is something that is self-evident. As things get further away, they appear lower on the horizon. Consider driving toward a mountain. Does the peak not move higher on the horizon, as do lower parts as they get larger and more visible?

3. Stars that are at or near the canopy are not that much farther than the Sun or Moon, so of source they are going to have the same diminishing effects the farther they are away.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
There are several theoretical models for the motion of the heavens among our members
...and not a single one works.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »

1. You have never seen it, but people who travelled to Antartica have seen; will you say that the midnight sun is part of the "conspiracy" too? This point focuses on the ice ring model, I didn't think in other models when I wrote this. If you guys have several models of flat earth, so you don't have a consistent thinking.

2. This is possible, but I'm still skeptic about this. Do you have any evidence?

3. Once again - problem of inconsistency in your theories; if several models are possible, how can we discuss about this? Nevertheless, different skies is a problem in any flat earth model, because it is possible to see another part of a sky above a Earth-sized (510 million square kilometers) plane, using a telescope, even if you see an extremity from the opposite extremity.

As she said, it was only a brief post. I'll expand a bit

1) In the AW model, this is due to the eyewalls. Eyewalls are particularly dense and violent areas of a storm often found around the eye of a hurricane (hence the name). There are several eyewalls in the Aetheric Whirlpool, and they happen to align such that during the summer Antarctica is not covered particularly well by them.

2) Not directly. We've proven the Earth to be flat. The rest is us attempting to comprehend the universe as such. There are several models and we are unsure which are correct. However, according to this theory the difference in speed and density between aether and atmosphere causes refraction. It's called aetheric eddification.

3) Also explained by the eyewalls. Depending on where you are you can see different stars because some are blocked by them.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

2) We've proven the Earth to be flat.

Really? That would involve proving the round earth model to be false. Have you done that? Please say how.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »

Really? That would involve proving the round earth model to be false. Have you done that? Please say how.

There's quite a bit of experimental evidence. We even made a wiki article about it: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Evidence

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »

There's quite a bit of experimental evidence. We even made a wiki article about it: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Evidence

This is off-topic but I noticed a spelling error on that wiki page:
A woman named Lady Bount was among the first to peer review Rowbotham's work: Lady Blount Trials

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »

This is off-topic but I noticed a spelling error on that wiki page:
A woman named Lady Bount was among the first to peer review Rowbotham's work: Lady Blount Trials

Thanks

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
I'll give this a shot, although my knowledge on the matter is limited. That's what you get when you have centuries of misinformation by scientists who started with a faulty premise:

1. On the inner reaches of the ice wall (what you would call the outer reaches of the fictional continent of Antarctica), the Sun appears to be circling overhead during winter. The reason this does not seem to make sense comes from a faulty understanding of the reflective nature of the Sun. Thus, the brightness and perspective of the Suns reflections of the Earth's luminance are different during the different seasons.

2. This is something that is self-evident. As things get further away, they appear lower on the horizon. Consider driving toward a mountain. Does the peak not move higher on the horizon, as do lower parts as they get larger and more visible?

3. Stars that are at or near the canopy are not that much farther than the Sun or Moon, so of source they are going to have the same diminishing effects the farther they are away.

1. During the midnight sun phenomenon, you do not see only brightness and light, you see also the sun.  Reflection would not make the sun appear by magic in the sky since it is in the other side of the world. Why it is possible to see the sun 24 hours a day during the austral summer? This is the most illogical thing in this theory.

2. I'm still thinking this is possible, but I want more evidences and explanations for my other points.

3. This is impossible. Why can we see stars that are in the other side of the world, but we can't see stars that are in the center? This is illogical.

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

1) In the AW model, this is due to the eyewalls. Eyewalls are particularly dense and violent areas of a storm often found around the eye of a hurricane (hence the name). There are several eyewalls in the Aetheric Whirlpool, and they happen to align such that during the summer Antarctica is not covered particularly well by them.

2) Not directly. We've proven the Earth to be flat. The rest is us attempting to comprehend the universe as such. There are several models and we are unsure which are correct. However, according to this theory the difference in speed and density between aether and atmosphere causes refraction. It's called aetheric eddification.

3) Also explained by the eyewalls. Depending on where you are you can see different stars because some are blocked by them.

1. What evidence do you have for this "aetheric whirlpool" and these "eyewalls"? I said I want evidences instead of stuff created by necessity. And, you did not answer my question. Why can we see the sun 24 hours a day during Antarctica summer?

2. Skeptic about this...

3. Again, what evidence do you have for this? And, it is impossible, since we can see stars in the south that would be in the other side of the world, and we can't see stars that would be in the center. Where's the logic in that?

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
No answers?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

1. What evidence do you have for this "aetheric whirlpool" and these "eyewalls"? I said I want evidences instead of stuff created by necessity. And, you did not answer my question. Why can we see the sun 24 hours a day during Antarctica summer?

2. Skeptic about this...

3. Again, what evidence do you have for this? And, it is impossible, since we can see stars in the south that would be in the other side of the world, and we can't see stars that would be in the center. Where's the logic in that?

1) Yes, I did answer your question. The eyewalls cause night to fall. If they aren't causing night to fall, night will not fall.

2) Cool

3) It's not impossible at all. The eyewalls aren't equally thick at all points

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
No answers?

This isn't my job. I don't get paid to answer your questions and I don't dedicate my Friday nights to doing so. Sometimes it takes a while for people to get around to responding. Be patient.

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
I will ask it again: there are any evidences for this "aetheric whirlpoll" and "eyewalls"?

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
Sorry if I'm looking a little arrogant, I'm just incorfomed you theories, that's because I noted these flaws.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I will ask it again: there are any evidences for this "aetheric whirlpoll" and "eyewalls"?

Yes. The Earth is flat and this model correctly predicts a vast range of phenomena.

?

Round Earther

• The earth is round.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »

Yes.

So what are the evidences for these models? How can you proof they are real?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »

Yes. The Earth is flat and this model correctly predicts a vast range of phenomena.

I suppose that depends on how loosely you define "model" and "predict".  I have yet to see any FE'er produce what could be reasonably considered a flat earth model that has any predictive power whatsoever, including this one.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
No answers?

Now look, I've already made this clear:

Please be patient; our members are not on-call.

As Tausami says, no-one here is getting paid for this. We're not obligated to answer you immediately just because you happen to be online. Fifteen minutes is not a long time. You took over 14 hours to reply to the thread, so do unto others etc.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:56 AM »

1. During the midnight sun phenomenon, you do not see only brightness and light, you see also the sun.  Reflection would not make the sun appear by magic in the sky since it is in the other side of the world. Why it is possible to see the sun 24 hours a day during the austral summer? This is the most illogical thing in this theory.

I think your fundamental difficulty comes from a misunderstanding of the sun. It is merely a giant reflector. Because of its shape, it will not reflect the earth's luminance to all parts of our disk equally which causes the light to hit from a different angle. I suspect refraction is involved as well: light going from a less-dense fluid (upper-dome air) to a more-dense fluid (disk-level air) at an angle will bend toward the denser.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »

Yes.

So what are the evidences for these models? How can you proof they are real?

The second sentence of that post. You aren't asking more experimental evidence, just evidence. What I provided you is indirect empirical evidence. The Earth is flat. This statement has direct empirical evidence supporting it, which you can find here: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Evidence. Therefore, the universe is obviously quite different from what globularists believe it to be. There are many different possibilities of how 'gravity' works, such as Wilmore's theory of the infinite plane and the universal acceleration model, and doubtlessly countless others we've yet to come up with. I created a corollary to UA. This corollary is rather predictive of other phenomona. Predictive power is a form of evidence.

I suppose that depends on how loosely you define "model" and "predict".  I have yet to see any FE'er produce what could be reasonably considered a flat earth model that has any predictive power whatsoever, including this one.

Would you mind expanding on this? AW correctly and clearly predicts things it did not originally set out to explain. How is this not predictive power?

Spherically Round

• Flat Earth theory is all retarded nonsense.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »
This is not directly on topic, but I would like to point out, in your so called "evidence" that the earth is flat, (at http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Evidence), there is a link to the study  by Professor Mark Fonstad of Southwest Texas University who supposedly "mathematically demonstrates the earth's flatness" (http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html). This does NOT demonstrate the earth's flatness in any way, shape or form. It is merely a joke study, that demonstrates how the LOCAL geography of Kansas is flatter than a pancake. It does not say anywhere that this should be applied to the entire globe. Please take it off as it is misleading.
Flat earth theory? Not sure if trolling, or just stupid.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
This is not directly on topic, but I would like to point out, in your so called "evidence" that the earth is flat, (at http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Evidence), there is a link to the study  by Professor Mark Fonstad of Southwest Texas University who supposedly "mathematically demonstrates the earth's flatness" (http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html). This does NOT demonstrate the earth's flatness in any way, shape or form. It is merely a joke study, that demonstrates how the LOCAL geography of Kansas is flatter than a pancake. It does not say anywhere that this should be applied to the entire globe. Please take it off as it is misleading.

But, why would he lie to us?  He has high credentials, yet he states things that are not true?  I suspect that not all "scientists" are as honest as we are lead to believe.

Spherically Round

• Flat Earth theory is all retarded nonsense.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

But, why would he lie to us?  He has high credentials, yet he states things that are not true?  I suspect that not all "scientists" are as honest as we are lead to believe.

He is not lying to us. I never said he was. Just the information in that study is completely irrelevant and does not even mention a flat earth at all. Read the post more carefully.
Flat earth theory? Not sure if trolling, or just stupid.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 12:56:14 AM »
And what of the numerous other occurences of objects disappearing over the horizon that support a round Earth?  You know, the ones that happen EVERY DAY and MASSIVELY OUTNUMBER this ONE STUDY?  Ever considered that their measurements may have been off, or that other environmental factors influenced it?  For example, tides.

If that evidenced a flat Earth, then I would be able to see Europe if I went to the beach and had a good enough telescope.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »

I'll take a look. I believe Tom created the page, and he is admittedly known to exaggerate his claims.

EDIT: having reviewed the article in question, my verdict is that while is was clearly meant as a joke that does not in itself invalidate the claim. The survey found Kansas to be perfectly, platonically flat. While not proof that the entire Earth is flat, this is certainly evidence that Kansas is, which we can extrapolate from. I would be interested in performing similar experiments in other points on the planet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:34:31 AM by Tausami »