Why Ban the Burkha?

• 108 Replies
?

Nimp

Why Ban the Burkha?
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »
I firmly believe that all nations should ban the burkha.

It's worn because apparently it is physically impossible for an Arab man to not lay his hands on a pure Arabic woman. Consequently, whenever I see a burkha, I view it as something that legitimizes rape.

Tell me again why feminists aren't up in arms over this vile piece of clothing?

Lorddave

Re: Why Ban the Burkha?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:43:09 AM »
I assumed its original intent was to protect women from the harsh rays of the desert sun and was later incorporated into the culture as a way to hide the woman's face.  The rational I understand is not that Arab men can't keep their hands of women but the women want to be accepted based on their personalities and not their looks.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »

It's worn because apparently it is physically impossible for an Arab man to not lay his hands on a pure Arabic woman. Consequently, whenever I see a burkha, I view it as something that legitimizes rape.

>I dislike seeing burkhas
>Let's ban them!

Why do you hate freedom?
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

As much as the media and politicians will tell you that all people are the same, they aren't. Making them all live like white Europeans isn't going to work. You need to mind your own business.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20873462

?

Nimp

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »

>Let's ban them!

Why do you hate freedom?

Americans disliked seeing the KKK and classified them as a terrorist organization.

Why do you hate freedom?

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

>Let's ban them!

Why do you hate freedom?

Americans disliked seeing the KKK and classified them as a terrorist organization.

Why do you hate freedom?
Wearing white sheets is not illegal.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »

>Let's ban them!

Why do you hate freedom?

Why do you hate freedom?
And yet Kinder Surprise is. *shakes head*

?

Nimp

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »

>Let's ban them!

Why do you hate freedom?

Why do you hate freedom?

Yes but it is somewhat analogous to the Burkha in that the KKK robes were originally an outfit worn by Southern Protestants.

The Burkha likewise is a symbol of religion, in this case Islam.

Should one be free to wear a KKK outfit in Detroit because one is a Protestant?

At any rate, freedom to wear what you want is a moot point when it comes to clothing. You can't walk naked down the street and you can't wear a balaclava in a bank.

Why should full body coverings be allowed to be worn everywhere? They are a security risk.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
more importantly can we ban spanx?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
I assumed its original intent was to protect women from the harsh rays of the desert sun and was later incorporated into the culture as a way to hide the woman's face.  The rational I understand is not that Arab men can't keep their hands of women but the women want to be accepted based on their personalities and not their looks.

WTF?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

WTF?
What part do you disagree with?

rooster

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »
Lorddave is on the right track. Many women choose to wear the burkha even when they don't have to. They view western clothing as male domination since women are encouraged to show off their bodies. Women who wear burkhas feel it's disrespectful and shameful to dress like a western hoochy and would rather be accepted for their minds. Hasn't anyone seen the comic?

The problem many feminists need to learn is that female empowerment is identified culturally. Many of these women want and choose to wear the burkhas themselves, so it's a touchy subject just as female circumcision which is also perpetuated by only the women. Feminists have to be careful with ethnocentrism as gender is itself culturally constructed.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Bullshit.

It's original intent was not to protect women from the sun, and it isn't worn so that women will be accepted based on their personalities. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rooster

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
Bullshit.

it isn't worn so that women will be accepted based on their personalities.
Try telling that to a woman who wears a burkha. They have their own mind and usually their own choice in the matter. It's a little enthocentric and counter-productive to tell them what they can and can't wear.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
Bullshit.

It's original intent was not to protect women from the sun, and it isn't worn so that women will be accepted based on their personalities.
At least the first part is wrong. The burkha is similar to desert robes worn by men in Arabia, the only real difference is it is black and has a veil to cover the face as opposed to just tying it across. These robes were designed to cover from the sun.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Bullshit.

Try telling that to a woman who wears a burkha. They have their own mind and usually their own choice in the matter. It's a little enthocentric and counter-productive to tell them what they can and can't wear.

In Pakistan they recently passed a law requiring the hijab, the women have no choice, in Taliban controlled Afghanistan the burqa is required, the women have no choice... there are many countries where the women do not have a choice in the matter.

These women aren't wearing sacks so they'll be judged based on their personalities. They're wearing them for "modesty" because that's what their holy book says. 

I haven't told anyone what they can or can't wear.

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
Bullshit.

At least the first part is wrong. The burkha is similar to desert robes worn by men in Arabia, the only real difference is it is black and has a veil to cover the face as opposed to just tying it across. These robes were designed to cover from the sun.
So why is the first part wrong if you yourself just said that they're similar to the robes used to cover men?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
He's saying I'm wrong, not you. 

The robes the men wear are designed to protect from the sun, but they're not black. Go out in a black robe and stand in the sun for a bit, come back and let us know how protected you felt.

rooster

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Bullshit.

In Pakistan they recently passed a law requiring the hijab, the women have no choice, in Taliban controlled Afghanistan the burqa is required, the women have no choice... there are many countries where the women do not have a choice in the matter.

These women aren't wearing sacks so they'll be judged based on their personalities. They're wearing them for "modesty" because that's what their holy book says. 

I haven't told anyone what they can or can't wear.
But there are still women who wear burkhas in countries where it's not required. And a plethora of women in middle Tennessee who wear the hijab by choice. Even girls whose own mothers don't wear the hijab. It is a sign of devotion and religious pride, but it's also extremely comfortable when you don't have to worry about your hairstyle.
You don't need to blatantly say what they should or shouldn't wear, but it seems like you don't respect their choices or their own opinion in the matter. An American has no right to call "bullshit" on a Muslim woman's personal preference.

rooster

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
...so it's a touchy subject just as female circumcision which is also perpetuated by only the women.

Uh...what?

What is confusing you?

Lorddave

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
He's saying I'm wrong, not you. 

The robes the men wear are designed to protect from the sun, but they're not black. Go out in a black robe and stand in the sun for a bit, come back and let us know how protected you felt.

From UV rays?  Tons.
Heat?  Not so much.

But I figure the older versions used lighter cloth.  Black probably came around when it became culturally required for women to not excite men and black is a very boring lack of color.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
Actually, as an American I do have the right to call bullshit on whatever I want, including the notion that Muslim women make the choice to wear a burqa.

rooster

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
Actually, as an American I do have the right to call bullshit on whatever I want, including the notion that Muslim women make the choice to wear a burqa.
Yeah, yeah, but you'll just come off as another ignorant ethnocentric American.

Lorddave

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
I know a high schooler who wears one.  Voluntarily.  In an American School BTW.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »

To whom? This is a discussion of the burqa, I don't give a fuck what I come off as. You have your head in the sand regarding the choices people are free to make. I knew that as soon as you mentioned female circumcision, which is more accurately called female genital mutilation.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »
I know a high schooler who wears one.  Voluntarily.  In an American School BTW.

Well that's great Lorddave, but completely irrelevant.

rooster

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

To whom? This is a discussion of the burqa, I don't give a fuck what I come off as. You have your head in the sand regarding the choices people are free to make. I knew that as soon as you mentioned female circumcision, which is more accurately called female genital mutilation.

But I don't. I've taken a whole class on the subject and am well read on it. You just don't understand the notion of culturally relative feminism. If women are making the choice to wear the burkha (which they are in many countries even the US) and female circumcision (yes, I know it's also called FGM) then how can you judge their choices? To assume women should be like us in order to be empowered or whatever is incredibly naive.

rooster

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
...so it's a touchy subject just as female circumcision which is also perpetuated by only the women.

Uh...what?

What is confusing you?

I've already identified the source of my confusion by the use of a specific quote. I did not isolate the line at random.

Can you elaborate or not?
Very few if any men are involved in the ritual of female circumcision. In ethnographic interviews men today have often said they don't care if their future wife is circumcised or not, but mothers and older female relatives will still perpetuate the tradition.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

But I don't. I've taken a whole class on the subject and am well read on it. You just don't understand the notion of culturally relative feminism. If women are making the choice to wear the burkha (which they are in many countries even the US) and female circumcision (yes, I know it's also called FGM) then how can you judge their choices? To assume women should be like us in order to be empowered or whatever is incredibly naive.

Well, then, you must be an expert.  I have taken a psychology class, so I am a psychologist, right?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 01:13:57 PM »
I find it amusing when Americans who continue to, for no reason at all, perpetuate a culture of male circumcision come out lashing at female circumcision.

And on the topic of choice, banning the use of the burqa is just as much a violation of freedom of choice as making you wear it. If anything, the reasons for enforcing it in the middle-east are highly self-deprecating from a male perspective; it's basically saying that all men are perverts and potential rapists, and thus you need to cover up the women for their own protection. Men have similar enforced dress codes in those countries as well, so it's pointless to pretend that the issue is one-sided.