Your arguments against this?

• 146 Replies
?

Thork

Re: Your arguments against this?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »
My car has plate number EWK432. There is no other car that I have seen which has the same plate. I have no way to go to any other country to check whether there are more cars with the same plate. Therefore I consider my car as "special". Have I gained something with my argument?
No, that's a dreadful analogy. By comparison of statistical odds it would be a great surprise if your number plate was not EWK432. Also, number plates are sequentially allocated. The properties of planets are not.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
I think the RE'ers are still missing the point of the argument. God, this is as bad as a political debate. The point isn't 'The Earth is flat because it's special lol'. The point is 'Yeah, the Earth is different. So what?'

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
I think the RE'ers are still missing the point of the argument. God, this is as bad as a political debate. The point isn't 'The Earth is flat because it's special lol'. The point is 'Yeah, the Earth is different. So what?'

Yeah, the earth is different (fourth time repeating this), but it's still a planet, you know planets are round due to gravity, so a planet can't be round, or who knows, we humans don't know everything, but, until we have solid evidence that a planet can be flat, then we can say that planets can be flat. Even before telescopes, scientist knew that the earth was round. I'm not up to date with your explanation of gravity, so argue with me.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

Yeah, the earth is different (fourth time repeating this), but it's still a planet, you know planets are round due to gravity, so a planet can't be round, or who knows, we humans don't know everything, but, until we have solid evidence that a planet can be flat, then we can say that planets can be flat. Even before telescopes, scientist knew that the earth was round. I'm not up to date with your explanation of gravity, so argue with me.

That's if you already accept the science of RET as true, which we obviously don't.  It's begging the question to say that it's evidence for RET in itself.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »

Petitio principii. Your argument is that the Earth must be a planet because it's the same as all of the other planets, and it must be the same as all of the others because it's a planet. Please actually demonstrate one or both of these statements to be true independently of the other.

In Flat Earth Theory, gravity is non-existent. Instead there is a Universal Acceleration. Learn more at http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=UA
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:06:46 AM by Tausami »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Top 10 reasons why we know the earth is round
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »
I found this on youtube. It explains everything so very clearly.
If you are able give me a reason why all 10 of these reasons aren't true I'll be a believer

Have you even read  the FAQ? I doubt so, because literally every single one of those "reasons" are addressed in it.

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
Your argument is that the Earth must be a planet because it's the same as all of the other planets, and it must be the same as all of the others because it's a planet.
This is called a Strawman. You cannot argue the opposition's argument, so you dilute it to a point where you can argue it. In this case, it is even worse than a Strawman because you do not dilute it, you totally change it.

Show us where anyone opposing you has ever said what you are claiming. Or be intellectually honest and make an argument against the real claims of the other side.

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »

Petitio principii. Your argument is that the Earth must be a planet because it's the same as all of the other planets, and it must be the same as all of the others because it's a planet. Please actually demonstrate one or both of these statements to be true independently of the other.

In Flat Earth Theory, gravity is non-existent. Instead there is a Universal Acceleration. Learn more at http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/wiki/index.php?title=UA

I assume that earth is round because other planets are round (Apart from other evidence you quote as fake), so, we have to prove that earth is a different case to say it's flat. I read the UA article, but then, how we orbit around the sun? Or in earth-center-of-universe case. how other bodies orbit around us?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

I assume that earth is round because other planets are round (Apart from other evidence you quote as fake), so, we have to prove that earth is a different case to say it's flat. I read the UA article, but then, how we orbit around the sun? Or in earth-center-of-universe case. how other bodies orbit around us?

I'll address you first, since you're actually polite and likeable. The other bodies do not orbit the Earth. Instead, they follow an orbit directly above the Earth. Here's a diagram showing the path of the Sun, for example

Your argument is that the Earth must be a planet because it's the same as all of the other planets, and it must be the same as all of the others because it's a planet.
This is called a Strawman. You cannot argue the opposition's argument, so you dilute it to a point where you can argue it. In this case, it is even worse than a Strawman because you do not dilute it, you totally change it.

Show us where anyone opposing you has ever said what you are claiming. Or be intellectually honest and make an argument against the real claims of the other side.

Rereading, it appears that it's actually different people making those points. lmb32 said the one, you said the other. So I retract that particular point. However, it wasn't a straw man.

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »

I'll address you first, since you're actually polite and likeable. The other bodies do not orbit the Earth. Instead, they follow an orbit directly above the Earth. Here's a diagram showing the path of the Sun, for example [Removed image to save space]

Rereading, it appears that it's actually different people making those points. lmb32 said the one, you said the other. So I retract that particular point. However, it wasn't a straw man.

I see, while I still disagree with you, it's a shame you can't get money for serious research, so you can get the evidence to prove or discard the flat earth, who knows, the scientific community ignored Max Planck at first. As for the UA model, there's a force that accelerate things so that give us the feel of gravity, but gravity pulls things, so it's not constant at accelerating them at 9,8m/s^2, so, the UA model has to explain what force makes the sun 'orbit' (sorry if in the UA model moving around and object isn't called orbiting) around the earth, or in different model, what makes the earth orbit around the sun, REs (including me) say that gravity does that, but if you FE accept that, then there's a problem with flat earth, since gravity 'pulls' in all direction, that's why the planets we know are round. Also, you should post this models in some physics forums, like physicsforums, since you can't get the resources to serious research, you could try asking the guys over there so they can help you prove, disprove or fix the inconsistencies in the models.

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
lmb32, you are mistaking the people who argue the FET side for people who have an active interest in proving their cracked argument. They know they can't, so they just stand here on this forum shouting it to everyone. They are not troubled by such things as the need for proof. They are quite happy to discard evidence as false if it disagrees with their model, which shows that they will never bother doing an experiment.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
lmb32, you are mistaking the people who argue the FET side for people who have an active interest in proving their cracked argument. They know they can't, so they just stand here on this forum shouting it to everyone. They are not troubled by such things as the need for proof. They are quite happy to discard evidence as false if it disagrees with their model, which shows that they will never bother doing an experiment.

Please don't bother posting if you're not going to contribute.

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

lmb32 was advising the FE'ers on things he thought they should be doing. I was advising him on why that would be a waste of time. That's contributing. Prove me wrong at any time by doing an experiment or seeking advice on a physics forum. Post a link to the forum post when you've done so.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »

lmb32 was advising the FE'ers on things he thought they should be doing. I was advising him on why that would be a waste of time. That's contributing. Prove me wrong at any time by doing an experiment or seeking advice on a physics forum. Post a link to the forum post when you've done so.

Neil, you should know that the endless variations on "LOL FEers are just trolls" such as the one you posted above are considered low-content and are frowned-upon in the upper forums.

You can consider this a warning.

If you need to get it off your chest take it up in Angry Ranting.  Nobody is interested.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2013, 02:34:46 AM »
Wait when was the RE thory proven.
Why do u think earth is flat, all the other planets are round. and yes earth is special it is the right tempreture to allow liquid water to flow on its surface and has life but thats no reason to think the earth is flat.
the fe theory is just a theory that is self-centred when people believed the universe revolved around them and that they where the centre of everything. Well thats wrong the earth acts likes a sphere, looks like a sphere and is one.
how much proof do you want. To think so primitivly is strange. Move on now its over there is enough proof now and if you want you could start a fund raiser for the leader of this society and get him a ticket to go on a space plane so his theory is disproven and everyone knows the truth. if he sees a flat earth up there then your theory is right if not its wrong. And dont say there is no such as space travel there is ok so get over it you will see the earths curveture and know that your theory is wrong or that its flat and that your thoery is right. ok is that enough.
This will see who is right and who is wrong.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Flat Earth? gotta be kidding me!
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 05:26:35 AM »
i can see with my own eyes that tv satilites dishes point to a point 22,000 miles above the equator. going against what is said in fe which uses things that cant be seen to disprove my direct observation? kind of ironic that you dismiss my direct observation and try to explain it away with something that is invisible.
My satellite dish is positioned straight out from my house. There appears to be no elevation whatsoever.
It just depends on where the transmitters are in your area. Satellites are for sci fi films.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2013, 05:32:27 AM »
Why do u think earth is flat, all the other planets are round. and yes earth is special it is the right tempreture to allow liquid water to flow on its surface and has life but thats no reason to think the earth is flat.
the fe theory is just a theory that is self-centred when people believed the universe revolved around them and that they where the centre of everything. Well thats wrong the earth acts likes a sphere, looks like a sphere and is one.
how much proof do you want. To think so primitivly is strange. Move on now its over there is enough proof now and if you want you could start a fund raiser for the leader of this society and get him a ticket to go on a space plane so his theory is disproven and everyone knows the truth. if he sees a flat earth up there then your theory is right if not its wrong. And dont say there is no such as space travel there is ok so get over it you will see the earths curveture and know that your theory is wrong or that its flat and that your thoery is right. ok is that enough.
Earth is special. It's the only know place what can sustain life as it stands.
It's like a leading actor/actress on stage, the spot light is trained on them and everything around them is trained on them.
We are not an insignificant planet as people think. We are the ultimate life sustaining place in the universe, or whatever it is and we can arrogantly say this until proven otherwise, which will take the presence of little/big/green/blue/red/pink or whatever coloured organisms to enter into our world to beg to differ.

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »
It's like a leading actor/actress on stage, the spot light is trained on them and everything around them is trained on them.
We are not an insignificant planet as people think. We are the ultimate life sustaining place in the universe, or whatever it is and we can arrogantly say this until proven otherwise, which will take the presence of little/big/green/blue/red/pink or whatever coloured organisms to enter into our world to beg to differ.

You're special.

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2013, 06:43:42 AM »
How would it be proven otherwise to you? Afterall you deny space travel so if evidence of life is found on another planet you wouldn't believe it anyway?
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »

You're special.
We are all special in our own ways.You are special and satellites in space do not exist, which is not special.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »
How would it be proven otherwise to you? Afterall you deny space travel so if evidence of life is found on another planet you wouldn't believe it anyway?
When I see something that looks real.

Re: Flat Earth? gotta be kidding me!
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
When you see the world only through the eyes of others, then you'll only ever see it as they have told it to you. I find this an extraordinary show of faith and a woeful neglect of curiosity.

One can not live only possessing the knowledge they obtained on their own, you must borrow information from others in order to succeed in life. A rule of thumb should be that if everyone (99.999% percent of the 7 billion people on earth) is telling you something is the case and you think otherwise, you are almost certainly wrong. Most people learn this at an early age. Most people...

?

Thork

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
When you see the world only through the eyes of others, then you'll only ever see it as they have told it to you. I find this an extraordinary show of faith and a woeful neglect of curiosity.

One can not live only possessing the knowledge they obtained on their own, you must borrow information from others in order to succeed in life. A rule of thumb should be that if everyone (99.999% percent of the 7 billion people on earth) is telling you something is the case and you think otherwise, you are almost certainly wrong. Most people learn this at an early age. Most people...
200 years ago 99.999% of people would have told you that there is a God. Your move Maverick.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

200 years ago 99.999% of people would have told you that there is a God. Your move Maverick.

And two hundred before that 99.999% would have said the Earth was flat. Both opinions have changed Goose.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Thork

« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »

And two hundred before that 99.999% would have said the Earth was flat. Both opinions have changed Goose.
Yeah, well flared trousers made a come back. I'm rooting for Flat Earth Theory. History has a habit of repeating itself.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

Actually, that's not true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

We get a lot of noobs who proudly present this link to us as if it somehow contradicts what we say.  I'm pleased to be able to use it in a valid context for once.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »

Actually, that's not true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

We get a lot of noobs who proudly present this link to us as if it somehow contradicts what we say.  I'm pleased to be able to use it in a valid context for once.

Very good. I withdraw my remark Iceman *shakes fist*.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.