I'm curious...

• 21 Replies
I'm curious...
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
Hello!
I'm a ninth grade student. Nice to meet you.
In socials today, our teacher mentioned the Flat Earth Society while talking about European Exploration. Anyways, I've always been interested in alternative theories, so I decided to take a look.
Could anyone bother to explain the basis of how it works, and some simple evidence that opposes how most people view earth?
By no means am I trying to offend anyone; I'm genuinely curious.
Thanks a lot!  :)l

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: I'm curious...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
Basis of how it works: The earth is flat.

Simple evidence: Look out your window.

?

Thork

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
Start with the FAQ.

That will give you the basics, Then ask about anything you think doesn't makes sense or wasn't explained to your satisfaction.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
Most of it makes sense, but when I look out a window in an airplane right before it goes into the layer of clouds, the earth looks distinctly curved. Also, during amusement park rides, where you're upside down at a high altitude, the sky looks concave and the earth round. Why is that?
Also, does flat earth spin? Sorry for so many questions.

Rushy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
Most of it makes sense, but when I look out a window in an airplane right before it goes into the layer of clouds, the earth looks distinctly curved.

The horizon looks curved. Not the Earth. Simple math can show that curvature of any real significance on an object the size of the Earth would only be visible from 80,000ft+ in the air. Thus, if the Earth were round, you still would see no real curvature from any commercial aircraft.

Also, during amusement park rides, where you're upside down at a high altitude, the sky looks concave and the earth round. Why is that?

That is field of vision perspective issue. Think of it this way, stars don't curve around around Earth, so it must be a perspective observation.

Also, does flat earth spin?

No.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

For crying out loud, Tom.  Enough with the look out your window crap.  >o<
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Major Twang

• Astronomer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »

I looked out of my window this morning & saw a rural landscape.

What's all this crazy talk about cities, jungles, deserts & mountains ?  I never see them for myself - I just get pictures on my TV - and they come from a satellite that doesn't exist.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »

If you RE'ers prefer to deny your eyes and put your faith in things you cannot see, that speaks volumes of what we're dealing with.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »

If you RE'ers prefer to deny your eyes and put your faith in things you cannot see, that speaks volumes of what we're dealing with.

Tom, you are the one who denies your eyes when you watch the sun travel across the sky and set into the horizon, not me.  That speaks volumes about you.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »

Tom, you are the one who denies your eyes when you watch the sun travel across the sky and set into the horizon, not me.  That speaks volumes about you.

I don't deny that the sun intersects with the horizon line. Every time this topic has been brought up you've challenged me to explain why the sun goes under the horizon. But no one sees the sun go under the horizon. It's another case of choosing to believe in imagination over reality.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
I don't deny that the sun intersects with the horizon line. Every time this topic has been brought up you've challenged me to explain why the sun goes under the horizon. But no one sees the sun go under the horizon. It's another case of choosing to believe in imagination over reality.

I see the sun traveling downwards as it approaches the horizon.  Why should I believe that the sun does anything other than continue moving downwards below the horizon?  You are the one asking me to believe that the sun is still some 3000 miles above the earth when I cannot see it.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Its very easy to prove to goes under the horizon.
just have one person view it at a high level, and another from ground level in a geographical close location. 
The person from the high location will see it much longer.

The flock of setting sun theory is the easiest FAQ point to debunk.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
I've actually done something quite similar.  Like I said, I live in a river valley.  There have been a few times when I was at the bottom of the valley watching the sun set and have been able to make it to the top of one of the nearby hills in time to watch the sun set again.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »

I see the sun traveling downwards as it approaches the horizon.  Why should I believe that the sun does anything other than continue moving downwards below the horizon?  You are the one asking me to believe that the sun is still some 3000 miles above the earth when I cannot see it.

I thought round-earthers say that the sun doesn't move. Now you're saying it does?

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
the sun moves in both theories.
in RE theory, its the Earths rotation that causes sunsets/sunrises.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
In socials today, our teacher mentioned the Flat Earth Society while talking about European Exploration.

In what context?
How back then they believed that the majority of people believed that the earth is flat, and how there are people who still hold that belief.

?

Thork

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
In socials today, our teacher mentioned the Flat Earth Society while talking about European Exploration.

In what context?
How back then they believed that the majority of people believed that the earth is flat, and how there are people who still hold that belief.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
I thought round-earthers say that the sun doesn't move. Now you're saying it does?

Actually, I'm arguing what I see from an earth shape agnostic perspective.  My eyes tell me that the earth ends at the horizon and the sun is setting below that horizon, past the edge of the earth.  If I'm to believe my eyes, then why should I think any differently?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »

In what context?

If by "they" you mean people today, then you're correct. It is still a common misconception that European explorers such as Columbus operated against a mainstream belief in a Flat Earth. The truth is, Globularism has been widespread since ancient times and the development of Flat Earth Theory is a comparatively recent phenomenon. If you want to be a smart aleck, you can try pointing this out to your so-called teacher.

I was in the seventh grade when I first learned that this was a myth, long before I ever even thought to personally question the shape of the Earth.  That an educator would be perpetuating this myth is utterly deplorable.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Rushy

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
I was in the seventh grade when I first learned that this was a myth, long before I ever even thought to personally question the shape of the Earth.  That an educator would be perpetuating this myth is utterly deplorable.

There is even a Wikipedia article on it. You'd think by now such a ridiculous myth wouldn't be so prevalent.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »
It's a part of the larger propaganda machine that has become harder to maintain and has therefore fallen into disuse. However, it has a natural appeal due to its portrayal of Globularists as persecuted minorities toiling for truth under an insidiously oppressive Flat Earther regime (a perfect inversion of reality), so it still manages to crop up from time to time. They also get away with it, more often than not.

It's striking how many characteristics the Globularists oppression shares with Orwell's "1984" 
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Major Twang

• Astronomer
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 03:20:43 AM »
It's striking how many characteristics the Globularists oppression shares with Orwell's "1984"

I remember that bit of the novel - where the oppressed masses were able to chatter to their hearts content on a global network of computers about pretty much anything they wanted. 

Or maybe that was a different novel..