The Obligatory Hobbit Discussion & Spoilers Thread

• 66 Replies

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
Re: The Obligatory Hobbit Discussion & Spoilers Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »
I loved the movie, although the 3D made it difficult to ignore the subtitles sometimes.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »
Okay, my opinion is pretty much the same as Supertails'. Enjoyed it a lot, it's very different in tone to LotR but that's expected. Didn't notice any problems with pacing or the first 30 minutes, walked out feeling like watching another 3 hours. HFR was good for action scenes, but felt weird everywhere else. 3D was, unsurprisingly, completely unnecessary.

So far so good, definitely not another phantom menace. 8/10

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
I'm sorry I'm bumping this, but I need some place to vent. After seeing The Hobbit, I thought the film just looked a lot better than LOTR. I figured it was just better CGI, better and more varied direction, better use of colors, etc. But having just watched Return of the King again, I know exactly why The Hobbit looks better: THE LIGHTING IN LOTR IS FUCKING AWFUL.

Seriously, it constantly uses very bright and invisible sources of light, and they're constantly switching places between shots! It's extremely apparent when you have two characters face each other, and they're both lit from the behind, and you can't see the actual source of light from either angle. Sometimes characters don't even look like they're in the scene when they and their backgrounds are lit completely different. I seriously found it hard to enjoy the film when I was constantly being distracted by that. I had to download The Hobbit just to see if they fixed that issue, and yeah, for the most part they did. I'm now considering if The Hobbit is actually the superior film for that alone.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:29:29 AM by Blanko »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:39 AM »
Tolkien was racist and wrote his works primarily to illustrate his views on white supremacy.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2013, 07:15:08 AM »
Tolkien was racist and wrote his works primarily to illustrate his views on white supremacy.

Huh?  It's likely that he was racist, considering the taboo on those belief systems in Western Civilizatikn are fairly recent, but why would you claim his works are to illustrate that. His states goal was very ethnocentric but racist?  Streeeeetch!
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »

Huh?  It's likely that he was racist, considering the taboo on those belief systems in Western Civilizatikn are fairly recent, but why would you claim his works are to illustrate that. His states goal was very ethnocentric but racist?  Streeeeetch!

lrn2sadaam

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

All the good guys are white, while all the bad guys are "dark," "black," or have some foreign ethnicity attached to them.