Mountainous NASA blunder

• 47 Replies
Re: Mountainous NASA blunder
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Let's play a game.  Which one of these is Mt. Everest, and which of these is Saser Kangri?  Since it's so obvious that no astronaut could possibly mistake one for the other, surely everyone here should be able to distinguish each with ease.

Or, we can try it this way: imagine that you're in orbit in the ISS.  You look out of a porthole to snap a photo of the Earth below.  You see this:

Both ranges are adjacent to one another.  How would you be able to tell which peak/range was which?
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

?

Thork

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
Yeah, you're right. Finding a mountain from an aerial shot is impossible. ::)

This is NASA! One of the best funded public agencies in the world. And they can't even spot the world's tallest mountain?

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
Actually, I'm not claiming anything of the sort.  I'm claiming that it's not difficult to understand how any one individual could mistake those ranges when they're looking down on them through a porthole 200 miles above the surface.

You're the one who appears to be making the outlandish claim that it's impossible for anyone from a real NASA to misidentify two virtually identical mountain ranges. 
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/nasa-photo-error-puts-everest-in-india-20121214-2bd7h.html

Don't you know what a wide angle lens is for Markjo?

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-angle_lens
This type of lens allows more of the scene to be included in the photograph, which is useful in architectural, interior and landscape photography where the photographer may not be able to move farther from the scene to photograph it.
Nothing about that image indicates a wide angle lens shot.

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Thork,  since you're so sick of facile arguments, perhaps you can provide me with in depth answers to my questions in the topic "GPS and other commonplace physics matters" under the "Flat Earth General" section.

Feel free to get as deep as you see fit, I'm sure you'll find my understandings of physics and mathematics more than suitable for comprehending your responses.  Also, please keep any tensor calculus based responses in Einstein (or similar shorthand) notation for the sake of brevity.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Or, we can try it this way: imagine that you're in orbit in the ISS.  You look out of a porthole to snap a photo of the Earth below.  You see this:

Both ranges are adjacent to one another.  How would you be able to tell which peak/range was which?

That's not a single photo.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »

That's not a single photo.

What's your point?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
All this talk about how easy it would be to mistake a mountain range is moot. The fact is, either the "astronauts" didn't know their path, or the person producing fake NASA pics screwed up.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
All this talk about how easy it would be to mistake a mountain range is moot. The fact is, either the "astronauts" didn't know their path, or the person producing fake NASA pics screwed up.

That's a really facile false dilemma.  Your argument might have merit if the photo had ended up being of Mt. Aconcagua or something.  Instead, it was a nearly identical peak of a nearly identical mountain range immediately adjacent to Mt. Everest.

The ISS doesn't need a political map of the Earth to determine its trajectory.  It only needs to know its orbital elements relative to the Earth. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_elements

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »
I'm so proud of a round-earther knowing how to execute a Google search that I almost don't want to tell you that you've missed my point completely. Almost. Like a child in the back of a car doesn't need a map to know its parent is driving the car, an "astronaut" wouldn't need a map to guide a space station (all in theory mind you). However, while a child might be forgiven for mistaking a landmark or not knowing what road they are on, a highly trained astronaut should know what they are flying over.

In my opinion, someone just mislabeled a picture in the propaganda department.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
However, while a child might be forgiven for mistaking a landmark or not knowing what road they are on, a highly trained astronaut should know what they are flying over.

Why should astronauts be highly trained in identifying specific mountains from orbit?  It's not as if they are using the mountains as navigational way points or anything like that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:29:08 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
Its easy to see how the photoshop team could mess up which mountain is which. Have you ever actually seen what they do at NASA? Below is the Johnson Space Center last week.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">JSC HR Holiday LipDub 2012

Your tax dollars hard at work. Tom Bishop is going to puke when he sees this. >:(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:17:02 PM by Thork »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Its easy to see how the photoshop team could mess up which mountain is which. Have you ever actually seen what they do at NASA? Below is the Johnson Space Center last week.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">JSC HR Holiday LipDub 2012

Your tax dollars hard at work. Tom Bishop is going to puke when he sees this. >:(

Thork, when you're reduced to criticizing NASA for their holiday parties, then I think that it's time to give up.  Or are you just pissed because you weren't invited?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »

Thork, when you're reduced to criticizing NASA for their holiday parties, then I think that it's time to give up.  Or are you just pissed because you weren't invited?
Feel free to check back through this thread at all your posts and show me anywhere you provided any content at all. A link, a picture, a video, external quote? Nothing. Constantly entertaining you is very unrewarding. Excuse me when I go back to entertaining myself.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
However, while a child might be forgiven for mistaking a landmark or not knowing what road they are on, a highly trained astronaut should know what they are flying over.

Why should astronauts be highly trained in identifying specific mountains from orbit?  It's not as if they are using the mountains as navigational way points or anything like that.

No, but you're telling me that if you were taking a fantastical voyage around the earth at supersonic speeds, you wouldn't bother asking what you were flying over?

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »

Have you considered it could be fake, not a real picture, a small scenario, hand made or cgi, but not "from the sky"?

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:06 AM »
Spent past few days trawling through the Forums, and felt I had to add my own thoughts onto this one...

Starting at the beginning, the argument is that NASA made a blunder by identifying the wrong mountain as Everest - based on a photo taken from space (which according to FE can't happen), uploaded to Twitter from the ISS that doesn't exist - according to FE. So you want to point out a mistake on a photo by NASA which based on your logic can't have been taken in the first place ? - apart from on Photoshop... obviously...

Thork's introductory post also only takes only choice quotes from the BBC article - I would like to add this (are you now going to criticize this guy as well) :-

'Journalist Kunda Dixit, an authority on the Himalayas, tweeted: "Sorry guys, but the tall peak with the shadow in the middle is not Mt Everest."

However, he himself first wrongly guessed that it was "Xixapangma in Tibet".'

Later, Thork provides a link to the X15 as proof of a plane reaching 100km - it of course does, but was retired over 40 years (let me guess - it's still in operation, under the Conspiracy umbrella ?). Of course links to the SR-71 or U-2 wouldn't have worked because they fly much lower.

Further through the post whilst arguing about identifying mountains Thork uses a handily labelled image, which happens to be sourced from JAXA - a Google search later and this is the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency - but surely this photo must be fake as well, because no-one should be in space right ?

After reading through many posts, the main issue seems to be with NASA and that it's all a 'Conspiracy' - a read another post where they tried to outline the number of NASA employees that would have to be in on 'it' for it to work - what about the rest of the world ? As there seems to be quite a few...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_program

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
For astronaut Ron Garan and iwanttobelieve:

Illusive: deceptive; giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading.

Elusive: difficult to find, catch, or achieve
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.