Converting to Catholicism

• 129 Replies

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
Converting to Catholicism
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
If Catholics are Christians, why do Christians have to "convert" and go through a lengthy process to become a Catholic?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Converting to Catholicism
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »
Have you ever joined a church? The Catholics are just a bit more strict than most Protestant churches. They want you to actually read the bible first.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »
Joining a particular church and all that entails has nothing to do from converting from one religion to the same religion.  If that is the case anyways.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
Why do nurses need additional training to be doctors?

Being Catholic is just a more advanced and superior form of Christianity. Its got more rules, you have to deal with God loving you that little bit more, you need to learn a martial art and you need to become an expert at Coitus interruptus.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:44:07 AM by Thork »

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
All these analogies are irrelevant.  None of these are comparable.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
Converting to Catholicism from Protestantism isn't converting from one religion to another, it's converting from one sect to another. Of course the Catholics believe themselves to be the one true church, and I think that ticks off the Evangelicals.

I don't know which brand of Christianity you buy into, but there are lots of them. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
So Catholics view themselves as superior to Christians. 

Thanks for making my point.

Lorddave

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
It's like changing your drivers license from one state to another. You know how to drive but each state has slightly different rules.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
So Catholics view themselves as superior to OTHER Christians. 

Fixed.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
It's like changing your drivers license from one state to another. You know how to drive but each state has slightly different rules.

Well LD has one here I can't seem to get around. 

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
Each state has its own driving license? What a mess.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »

They view themselves as Christians. The Catholic church is responsible for the spread of Christianity throughout the world... you should recognize their place in the history of all Christianity.  Many of your beliefs are derived from Catholic teaching.

I don't know what point you were making. You don't like that the Catholics view themselves as superior, but you don't have a problem viewing your own brand of Christianity as superior. Why is it alright for you to think the way you do, but not them?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
Each state has its own driving license? What a mess.

Not really. You don't have to get a new driver's license every time you cross a border. If you move to another state, you need to get a new one eventually.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 08:57:51 AM »
Catholics believe the Pope is infallible. I believe the Pope is a sinner. The catholics used to not want people to read the Bible, as the catholic clergy would tell you what it says.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »

They don't view but KNOW. They've spread the word of God to more people than any other pseudochristian protestant.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »

They view themselves as Christians. The Catholic church is responsible for the spread of Christianity throughout the world... you should recognize their place in the history of all Christianity.  Many of your beliefs are derived from Catholic teaching.

I don't know what point you were making. You don't like that the Catholics view themselves as superior, but you don't have a problem viewing your own brand of Christianity as superior. Why is it alright for you to think the way you do, but not them?

I never said I was superior to them.  They are more than welcome to join Christianity without any pretense or changing of their ways.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
How would you welcome Catholics into the religion they created?

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
Your circular logic arguments have no effect on me.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »
Have you ever joined a church? The Catholics are just a bit more strict than most Protestant churches. They want you to actually read the bible first.

No I was Catholic 28 years and we did not have to read the Bible first.

Joining a particular church and all that entails has nothing to do from converting from one religion to the same religion.  If that is the case anyways.

Children and teens take study classes titled CCD, which taught me very little.  Adults have their own classes to learn before converting so they may then become Catholics, affirm what they believe and receive sacraments like the eucharist (etc).  The classes used to be once a week for about 6 months or so for adults.  Once an adult had converted no further classes were required, so their learning did not really continue.

Catholics believe the Pope is infallible. I believe the Pope is a sinner. The catholics used to not want people to read the Bible, as the catholic clergy would tell you what it says.

It is true that centuries ago Catholics did not want you to read the bible at home or in a library or anywhere and the clergy (priests) would tell you what you needed to know, but it is not against the religion now to read the bible at home although most do not.  Not much has changed.  Never once even while at church did the priest or assigned speakers to the lecturn ask the parishoners to open their Bibles.  The 2 assigned readers would read some passages and the congregation would just listen.  When the priest spoke he would take a topic and have a speech already composed and he would give that speech and again the congregation would listen.

Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »

I never said I was superior to them.  They are more than welcome to join Christianity without any pretense or changing of their ways.

And any Catholic would insist that they don't feel superior to Protestants. Further, why is it so terrible to make sure that someone understands the religion they want to convert to? Doing otherwise gives you people like Charles Finney.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

lol, I can circle around your circles.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
Wardogg, what part of CHRISTianity is it that's too subtle for you to grasp?  Christianity is about believing in and following Christ.  Catholics believe in and follow Christ, therefore they are Christian.

?

Thork

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
Catholics believe in and follow Christ.
I think you'll find that its the Pope that they follow.

https://twitter.com/Pontifex

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »

lol, I can circle around your circles.

Wheels within wheels, what could be more Christian?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »

Until Jesus can get a Twitter account, the Pope will have to do.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
Yeah, i am with Saddam on this one... If you believe that Jesus is the son of god, and that you should follow his teachings, then you are probably going to fall under the umbrella word "Christian".  That being said, there are very clear and large differences in the various sects of Christianity, which I don't think anyone denies.

But its just plain stupid to argue that Catholics are not christian, when both share the exact same core tenants.  Single god, same books, same son, same sacrifice, same sins.  They just practice different methodologies.  Not to mention that from a purely historical standpoint Protestants are simply people who wanted to reform the catholic church.  The protestant sects are literally reformed catholic religions, not entirely new ones.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
Wardogg, what part of CHRISTianity is it that's too subtle for you to grasp?  Christianity is about believing in and following Christ.  Catholics believe in and follow Christ, therefore they are Christian.

I make this exact same post every single time this comes up.

They follow Jesus' teachings too. The existence of the Pope has no impact on this.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
Why does it matter wether catholics are christian or not?
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 04:02:31 AM »

No sir, that is incorrect.  I would concede the point that they believe in, but they do not follow.  Not his teachings, not his religous views, and they certainly don't follow his word. 

Question, are Jews Christian?  And I mean in the broader sense of Jew not a few Jew converts.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:40 AM »
No, because they don't recognise Christ as the son of God.