Why are we not being blown away by RE theory winds?

• 4 Replies
?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
Why are we not being blown away by RE theory winds?
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »
In RE theory the earth is spinning but the atmosphere is NOT moving so therefore someone standing on the earth will be buffeted by winds of  1670km/h at the equator.

The reason this happens is that while the earth is spinning, the air is not PHYSICALLY CONNECTED to the earth, so the air is not being moved by the earth. This means the air is staying still!

So an observer standing on the equator, who is spinning because he is connected to the earth, will be spinning at 1670km/h but remember the air is staying still! So effectively, a moving observer being pushed through static air is the same as a static observer being pushed through moving air.

So therefore, we should all feel 1670km/h winds if the earth was round....

Re: Why are we not being blown away by RE theory winds?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
Get a glass, fill it with water and make sure they are not physically connected, (you can put some powder or pieces of paper or something to see more clearly the water movement) start spinning the glass and see how the water starts slowly spinning until it catches up with the glass. Its because of friction.

?

Major Twang

• Astronomer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
In RE theory the earth is spinning but the atmosphere is NOT moving so therefore someone standing on the earth will be buffeted by winds of  1670km/h at the equator.

The reason this happens is that while the earth is spinning, the air is not PHYSICALLY CONNECTED to the earth, so the air is not being moved by the earth. This means the air is staying still!

So an observer standing on the equator, who is spinning because he is connected to the earth, will be spinning at 1670km/h but remember the air is staying still! So effectively, a moving observer being pushed through static air is the same as a static observer being pushed through moving air.

So therefore, we should all feel 1670km/h winds if the earth was round....

An argument that displays complete ignorance of basic school-level physics.

The atmosphere is still with respect to the ground, and the force of gravity holds it in place.  The ground is moving as the earth rotates, carrying the atmosphere with it.

Beyond the atmosphere is a vaccum - effectively nothing.  Nothing to drag the atmosphere back to being stationary.

If the atmosphere were still WRT to space (ie, moving WRT to the atmosphere as you suggest), then the ground would very quickly whip the atmosphere back up to speed.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
I may be wrong then. I accept your arguments as valid. Guess i need a new arguments then :P

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
I may be wrong then. I accept your arguments as valid. Guess i need a new arguments then :P

Wow. That's a first. Congratulations Joffenz for being intellectually honest.