Should we get rid of Texas?

• 190 Replies

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
Re: Should we get rid of Texas?
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
He's talking about the US economy, not the money the government has.

Economy is, in a large part, based on money. If the money is all borrowed, your economy sucks, and is bound to fail.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »

Economy is, in a large part, based on money. If the money is all borrowed, your economy sucks, and is bound to fail.

The federal budget is not the economy.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

The federal budget is not the economy.

I know that, but if the federal budget collapse, the US economy will sure have a mess on it's hands, and the federal government has spread their fingers into every economic sector in the country and make huge contributions, including, but not limited to, welfare, aerospace, roads, policing, energy, research, space exploration, the internet, technological development, banks, the auto industry, oil and gas production.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

Lorddave

« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »
The world does seem to be backing out of the US dollar, bit by bit. China is stronger right now. I think the world will survive without the US.

The US is the single largest GDP economy in the world. The economic crises of other nation would be of untold magnitude if the US were to just disappear.

I'm fairly certain that the US won't just disappear. But the US's money is all borrowed money. I'm pretty sure China would be okay without the US, as they lent the US most of the money that it uses now.
No, China would crash and burn without the US markets.  Right now they're burning through cash like there's no tomorrow.  They also tax their citizens to seemingly no end.  I've read stories that toll bridges for tractor trailers can be as much as $100.  China relies on the US manufacturing small items there and selling them worldwide.  If the US markets vanish, the sudden loss would mean massive unemployment in China which would translate to economic ruin.

The budget deficit is rather meaningless.  We've had a deficit since the day we declared independence and only once paid it off.  While it's a good idea to keep it from getting too far out of control, it's not something we need to suddenly stop doing or we'll be doomed but rather something we should wind down if possible.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
There are more than 40 states with petitions to secede.  First understand why a state would want to secede.  Then read the US Constitution especially the 10th Amendment regarding Reserved Powers.  Without this very powerful amendment we would be living as communists.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The purpose of the petitions is to let the federal government know the states have power and are not beholden to a central government if those interests are not in the interest of its citizens.

IT'S THE REASON WE TOLD THE BRITISH TO FUCK OFF.
If you are going to be obtuse then please refer to my avatar.

Lorddave

« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:24 AM »
There are more than 40 states with petitions to secede.  First understand why a state would want to secede.  Then read the US Constitution especially the 10th Amendment regarding Reserved Powers.  Without this very powerful amendment we would be living as communists.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The purpose of the petitions is to let the federal government know the states have power and are not beholden to a central government if those interests are not in the interest of its citizens.

Yet when the federal government threatens to cut off money to the states, they all fall in line.
Who has the power?

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »

I thought that the purpose of the petitions is to show that there are a bunch of idiots living in the States. They could of course have saved themselves the trouble since we already knew that.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »

Yet when the federal government threatens to cut off money to the states, they all fall in line.
Who has the power?

Ideals can sometimes be stronger than money. It's like when the American colonists complained about taxes and said they were fed up, so the British made a show of power with more troops and higher taxes. I'm aware that there were other issues, but guess what happened next?

Lorddave

« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »

Who has the power?

Ideals can sometimes be stronger than money. It's like when the American colonists complained about taxes and said they were fed up, so the British made a show of power with more troops and higher taxes. I'm aware that there were other issues, but guess what happened next?
It was more taxation without representation. Not so much the tax itself.

And while I agree, most people in power will not agree with you. And that's why they get elected.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »

Who has the power?

It was more taxation without representation. Not so much the tax itself.

And while I agree, most people in power will not agree with you. And that's why they get elected.

It's strange that they don't agree, and rather unhealthy in my opinion. Those are the thoughts that this country was founded upon, and it's what made us strong and rise to a superpower. Now we've lost that. We're loosing our grip on the constitution, and consequently our freedoms. It's slowly falling apart, just like every other great empire.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

No, the purpose of the petitions is to whine and bitch about Obama winning.  The people who are creating and signing these petitions are not representative of their states, and a huge amount of them aren't even from the states they're signing the petitions for.