« on: November 06, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Romney has the first state.

Indiana.

So at the moment, he's winning.  ;D

?

Thork

Re: US election
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
Oh, he's got Kentucky too. A landslide. 70% of the vote.

?

Thork

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Obama has Vermont. but that's a crappy state. Only 3 pts for that one. :(

This thread isn't going to be as exciting as I imagined.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
Obummer will win. They always come black.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
None of the states have been decided yet, and as more votes come in, Indiana becomes more of a close race.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »
??? Indiana has declared.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
Nope.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20009195

It clearly says 5 of 51 states have declared.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
Projections.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
The states that are already in the bag for one candidate aren't that exciting to call.

The polls are closed in Ohio, but we won't know who got the state for a little bit longer.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Sean, your one word answers aren't as helpful as you might think.

wtf is happening? Its says they have declared. Its filled them in on the map, added to the total at the top. Job done. State in the bag.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
They haven't had time to count all the votes, but they are pretty sure which candidate has won, so they declare. It isn't official.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
They are making projections based on exit polling as well as counted ballots to make projections, so what she said. Thork, it takes more than minutes after the polls close to count the ballots.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Indiana will go Romney (he's massively ahead in polls), but those are just projections by networks, Thork. They do their own 'declarations' which are what you hear about on election night. BBC are getting their info from ABC polling, not actual votes. Voting only finished at midnight (GMT), so they haven't actually counted all the votes yet.

Besides, none of the important states have been declared yet - it's mostly safe Republican seats that Obama didn't take last time. He'll probably lose Indiana and NC though.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
10 minutes until polls close in AL, CT, DE, DC, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, MS, MO, NH, NJ, OK, PA, RI, TN

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
So basically, I'm watching a live feed of people's guesses? This is terrible.

I thought they used voting machines. The vote should be instant.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
They do use voting machines. ALSO, if you are in line to vote when the polls close you still get to vote, AND people sent in absentee ballots, and provisional ballots.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
Most states use paper ballots, I believe. I know mine does. It would take a while to feed millions of ballots into machines.

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Its 2012. Why can't you just text your vote?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »
So basically, I'm watching a live feed of people's guesses? This is terrible.

Exit polls are typically very accurate, and the networks are very wary of getting the declarations wrong, so they only 'declare' when the margin of victory is clear beyond the point of likely statistical error. This is why although Virginia's polls closed at the same time as the states you mentioned above, they haven't declared yet - the race is too tight to call. We'll probably be waiting all night for Ohio and Florida (where the closeness of the race may trigger an automatic recount).

I thought they used voting machines. The vote should be instant.

Some districts in some states do, some don't, but not most, and you also have distance/early ballots to factor in.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:08:53 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
Haven't a bunch of people already pre-voted?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
None of the toss up states have been called yet.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
I haue been alternating between the BBC and Sky couerage of the US elections. Not sure i like either. So i"m glad Thork is doing his own couerage here!

Is it ok to ask the Americans that post here, who they uoted for?

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

Vindictus

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
I haue been alternating between the BBC and Sky couerage of the US elections. Not sure i like either. So i"m glad Thork is doing his own couerage here!

Is it ok to ask the Americans that post here, who they uoted for?

Mizuki x

I don't see why it wouldn't be okay, but it is a redundant question.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
Copied from Slate:

States Called For Obama: Vermont (3), Maine (3 of 4), Massachusetts (11), Maryland (10), Illinois (20), Rhode Island (4), Delaware (3), District of Columbia (3), Connecticut (7)

States Called For Romney: Kentucky (8), Indiana (11), West Virginia (5), South Carolina (9), Oklahoma (7), Georgia (16)

The numbers are the electoral votes.

?

Thork

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Sadly Mizuki, (or should I call you Mizvki? - seriously how long has you keyboard been bust?), its bedtime. I'll have to wake up tomorrow and find out the new 'leader of the free world' or whatever they call him.

Vindictus

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Sadly Mizuki, (or should I call you Mizvki? - seriously how long has you keyboard been bust?), its bedtime. I'll have to wake up tomorrow and find out the new 'leader of the free world' or whatever they call him.

Ha, it's only midday here. I get to watch Obama win and neglect doing any study, then watch the Chaser's make fun of the whole election tonight. I am brimming with excitement.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »

Well goodnight Thork. I suppose it"s back to the BBC and their biased couerage (i would loue Romney to win, just to upset the Beeb).

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »
I think it's pretty likely that Obama will win tonight. I'm more interested in how well Nate Silver's model holds up, after all the "Maths! Sorcery!" nonsense from some Republicans.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
Nate Silver is awesome.

I think I will watch the election coverage on Fox News. I hope Obama wins!