What does your actual desktop look like?

• 105 Replies
?

illmunati

• Nope
Re: What does your actual desktop look like?
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »
i shot global warming.  its in a better place now... some other planet

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
i shot global warming.  its in a better place now... some other planet

Damn bro, that was so original it blew my mind.

?

illmunati

• Nope
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:06 PM »
i sense sarcasm

Lorddave

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »
Mine is a far superior design though.
Dave, have you been drinking?
Just because you can't recognize the truth doesn't mean the one saying it is drunk.

?

Thork

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2012, 06:57:04 AM »
Just because you can't recognize the truth doesn't mean the one saying it is drunk.
OK Dave, lets hear it. Why is your $20 trackerball a 'far superior design' to my $20 trackerball?

?

illmunati

• Nope
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
because its his, just him owning it automatically makes it better

Lorddave

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
OK Dave, lets hear it. Why is your $20 trackerball a 'far superior design' to my $20 trackerball?
The device naturally curves to the human hand, allowing comfortable and easy use of the thumb buttons as well as the other two pinky reachable buttons.

The ball itself slides smoothly with the index or middle finger.

This combination allow for easy use even in high speed gaming. You, yourself said that you wouldn't play high speed games (I assume you meant fps games) with it. While mine, you would.

I'd call that superior. Wouldn't you?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
I think you've had enough for today, Dave.

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
Eventually I'm going to get a new tower system and a bigger monitor.  I'm too cheap at the moment though.  It gets annoying after awhile unplugging everything to take the laptop places.  My two old XP towers need some work.  I should just try putting Ubuntu on one of them.

i need a desktop with 2 screens and i think i win for having the shittiest headphones lol
[IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z479/squevil/IMG_0028.jpg
Depends, what brand are they?

You know, considering what you probably spent on that t.v., stereo, stand, and three computers, you could probably afford a small/cheap computer desk.  I got mine for like $10 at a garage sale and the monitor for $15 at state surplus.

you're going to give yourself backpains with that set-up
I'm getting backpains just looking at it.

?

Thork

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
The device naturally curves to the human hand, allowing comfortable and easy use of the thumb buttons as well as the other two pinky reachable buttons.
Where as my trackerball is best worn on the head. ::) You may be surprised to learn that mine was also designed to be used by a human hand.

As does mine. It even speeds the laser up when making very fine movements for art programs etc.

This combination allow for easy use even in high speed gaming. You, yourself said that you wouldn't play high speed games (I assume you meant fps games) with it. While mine, you would.
This is because its designed for slow purposeful movement. Which is what I bought it for.

I'd call that superior. Wouldn't you?
No. I certainly wouldn't call it 'vastly superior'. It seems you have already begun the climb down.

Lorddave

« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
Where as my trackerball is best worn on the head. ::) You may be surprised to learn that mine was also designed to be used by a human hand.
A T-Shirt is designed to be worn by a human body.  Doesn't mean it's a good fit.

As does mine. It even speeds the laser up when making very fine movements for art programs etc.
Speeds up the laser?  Do you know what you're talking about?  Because if it's got a laser, I'd laugh my ass off considering
1) it uses an LED
2) the LED doesn't flash.

What you described is the sensitivity and every mouse can have it's sensitivity altered.  Hell, Mice from new dell computers have a button right on them that'll do that.

This is because its designed for slow purposeful movement. Which is what I bought it for.
Or you could just take any mouse and turn the sensitivity way down.

?

Thork

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
A T-Shirt is designed to be worn by a human body.  Doesn't mean it's a good fit.
Are you saying your trackerball is custom made for your hand or are you saying that your hands are perfect and its as if the designers knew in advance what size they were. You're talking sh*t again.

Speeds up the laser?  Do you know what you're talking about?  Because if it's got a laser, I'd laugh my ass off considering
1) it uses an LED
2) the LED doesn't flash.

What you described is the sensitivity and every mouse can have it's sensitivity altered.  Hell, Mice from new dell computers have a button right on them that'll do that.
What a condesending twat. If you want to pick at every semantic little argument, the mouse takes more 'pictures/second' when making fine movements. It increases the brightness of the LED "Often erroneously referred to as a laser in the vernacular" and it most definitely has a blink rate.
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_mouse#Power
Manufacturers often engineer their optical mice—especially battery-powered wireless models—to save power when possible. To do this, the mouse dims or blinks the laser or LED when in standby mode (each mouse has a different standby time). A typical implementation (by Logitech) has four power states, where the sensor is pulsed at different rates per second:
11500: full on, for accurate response while moving, illumination appears bright.
1100: fallback active condition while not moving, illumination appears dull.
110: standby
12: sleep state
Movement can be detected in any of these states; some mice turn the sensor fully off in the sleep state, requiring a button click to wake.
Optical mice utilizing infrared elements (LEDs or lasers) offer substantial increases in battery life[citation needed]. Some mice, such as the Logitech V450 848 nm laser mouse, are capable of functioning on two AA batteries for a full year, due to the low power requirements of the infrared laser[clarification needed].
Mice designed for use where low latency and high responsiveness are important, such as in playing video games, may omit power-saving features to improve performance.[15]
Mine has an extra 'gear' for very small movement. Have I wasted enough extra time clarifying for your autistic mind?

Or you could just take any mouse and turn the sensitivity way down.
Of you could just go f*ck yourself. I'm getting a bit sick of you replying as though I'm some kind of idiot. I know how to alter the sensitivity of a mouse, dumbass. But with a tracker ball there is only so much of the ball exposed for your finger to run across. This means you either have no accuracy or you can't get across the screen in one movement. So you either miss in an FPS or you don't get far enough across the screen to shoot your target fast enough. Don't pretend yours works any different.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:13:04 AM by Thork »

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »
Mice. Serious business.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2012, 05:39:03 AM »
In this troll argument Dave won.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Lorddave

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:03 AM »
Are you saying your trackerball is custom made for your hand or are you saying that your hands are perfect and its as if the designers knew in advance what size they were. You're talking sh*t again.
I'm saying that the mouse, which is curved for a right hand user, fits my hand perfectly.  It doesn't have to try and fit both left and right handed users and thus offers more comfort for me.

What a condesending twat. If you want to pick at every semantic little argument, the mouse takes more 'pictures/second' when making fine movements. It increases the brightness of the LED "Often erroneously referred to as a laser in the vernacular" and it most definitely has a blink rate.
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_mouse#Power
Manufacturers often engineer their optical mice—especially battery-powered wireless models—to save power when possible. To do this, the mouse dims or blinks the laser or LED when in standby mode (each mouse has a different standby time). A typical implementation (by Logitech) has four power states, where the sensor is pulsed at different rates per second:
11500: full on, for accurate response while moving, illumination appears bright.
1100: fallback active condition while not moving, illumination appears dull.
110: standby
12: sleep state
Movement can be detected in any of these states; some mice turn the sensor fully off in the sleep state, requiring a button click to wake.
Optical mice utilizing infrared elements (LEDs or lasers) offer substantial increases in battery life[citation needed]. Some mice, such as the Logitech V450 848 nm laser mouse, are capable of functioning on two AA batteries for a full year, due to the low power requirements of the infrared laser[clarification needed].
Mice designed for use where low latency and high responsiveness are important, such as in playing video games, may omit power-saving features to improve performance.[15]
Your entire quote says that it only blinks when in standby mode to save power.  You, however, are claiming it blinks faster to improve fine movement control.

Mine has an extra 'gear' for very small movement. Have I wasted enough extra time clarifying for your autistic mind?
The only gears in an optical mouse are for the scroll wheel.  Do you mean to say it has an extra photoreceptor that kicks in when it detects you may wish for fine movement?
Why don't you give me the model and I can look it up?

Of you could just go f*ck yourself. I'm getting a bit sick of you replying as though I'm some kind of idiot. I know how to alter the sensitivity of a mouse, dumbass. But with a tracker ball there is only so much of the ball exposed for your finger to run across. This means you either have no accuracy or you can't get across the screen in one movement. So you either miss in an FPS or you don't get far enough across the screen to shoot your target fast enough. Don't pretend yours works any different.
I can't help it if you aren't using the correct terms.

And yes, my mouse and, I suspect, most mice operate differently.  I don't know what your settings are but they have this optimization called "acceleration".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_%28computing%29#Operation

Moving the pointer a long distance: When a practical limit of mouse movement is reached, one lifts up the mouse, brings it to the opposite edge of the working area while it's held above the surface, and then replaces it down onto the working surface. This is often not necessary, because acceleration software detects fast movement, and moves the pointer significantly faster in proportion than for slow mouse motion.

So, a slow movement of the mouse will make the pointer slower while a quicker movement will make it faster.  I can go from one side of the screen to the other in one finger swipe quickly and only about 1/9 of the screen if I go really slowly.

I admit, I can't exactly stop on a pixel in an instant after rolling quickly but that's the beauty of trackball: you don't have to move the mouse to the other side of the mousepad, just lift your finger and move it to the other side of the ball.

« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
That first pile of junk I posted was in my dorm, which is just garbage. When I need to get real work done, I return to the estate, where superdesk lives.