Rowbathams Folly

• 61 Replies
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
Quote from: "skeptical scientist"
Quote from: "phaseshifter"
Note that I said people, not RE-ers or Fe-ers.

Last time I checked, RE-ers were subset of people. But you have to admit, there are a lot of peopl who post, "The earth is round. You all are dumb! OMG lol!!!11!"* Even the more serious and better spoken breed of RE-er sometimes just fails to produce evidence because, "we all know the earth is round, so it is."

*My apologies for the correct spelling and punctuation. I'm not good at writing in internet-lamer.

Hahahaha yeah, internet talk is a language of its own. A very difficult one at that. :D
eh, I am over it, believe in what you want.

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
Note that I said people, not RE-ers or Fe-ers.

Last time I checked, RE-ers were subset of people. But you have to admit, there are a lot of peopl who post, "The earth is round. You all are dumb! OMG lol!!!11!"* Even the more serious and better spoken breed of RE-er sometimes just fails to produce evidence because, "we all know the earth is round, so it is."

*My apologies for the correct spelling and punctuation. I'm not good at writing in internet-lamer.

I WAS NOT REFERING TO ANY PARTICULAR GROUP!

"we all know the earth is round, so it is."

I witnessed this exactly once.

And maybe there would be some Fe ers who would like to write, "teh eart is flat, you are teh dumb! 111" But since we are not on the round earth society forums, they will never get that opportunity.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
I WAS NOT REFERING TO ANY PARTICULAR GROUP!

Okay... but it sure sounded like you were referring only to REers.  The description applies so well to them.  Anyway, I stand corrected.

And maybe there would be some Fe ers who would like to write, "teh eart is flat, you are teh dumb! 111" But since we are not on the round earth society forums, they will never get that opportunity.

That's an interesting bit of purely speculative libel you've got there.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 02:22:52 AM »
How is it libel? It wasnt directed at anyone specific.
FE Pwnage Archive

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=8101.0

The Engineer is still a douchebag

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 02:46:11 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Quote from: Erasmus
Oh, and

No logical explanation was found yet.

is a misrepresentation. He meant to say, "No logical explanation has been recognized as such by me, Lord and Ultimate Judge of All Truth and Logical Explanations."

http://erasmus.justgotowned.com
FE Pwnage Archive

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 10:35:04 AM »
Quote from: "dantheman40k"

{quote="Erasmus"}Oh, and

is a misrepresentation. He meant to say, "No logical explanation has been recognized as such by me, Lord and Ultimate Judge of All Truth and Logical Explanations."

First, he didn't say 'you r teh dumb', he used sarcasm to get across his point that just because phaseshifter hasn't found an explanation that he finds acceptable doesn't mean there haven't been any offered, which is an entirely valid point. Second, he was in no way 'owned'. And third, learn to quote.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »

{quote="Erasmus"}Oh, and

First, he didn't say 'you r teh dumb', he used sarcasm to get across his point that just because phaseshifter hasn't found an explanation that he finds acceptable doesn't mean there haven't been any offered, which is an entirely valid point. Second, he was in no way 'owned'. And third, learn to quote.

Sigh, you Americans and your primitive understanding of satire. :roll:

OK, seeing as you're to dull witted to understand what I was trying to say let me put it in a way that you can understand:

He, like, tooootaly slamed Phaseshifter for libel then did, like, toootaly the same thing. I mean, hello? Talk about hypocracy.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?
FE Pwnage Archive

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »

OK, seeing as you're to dull witted to understand what I was trying to say let me put it in a way that you can understand:

He, like, tooootaly slamed Phaseshifter for libel then did, like, toootaly the same thing. I mean, hello? Talk about hypocracy.

You spelled "slammed" and "hypocrisy" wrong.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »

Thank you for your great simulation of American ditz-speak, but I can understand English just fine, thanks. Libel is a defamatory statement which contains unjustified slander of an individual. Erasmus' remark was entirely justified, and therefore not libel. Truth is an absolute defense.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »
Okay... but it sure sounded like you were referring only to REers. The description applies so well to them. Anyway, I stand corrected.

I'm writing, it doesn't make any sound. "people here" is not synonymous with "round earthers". Besides, it's not like RE info is hard to come by.

He meant to say, "No logical explanation has been recognized as such by me, Lord and Ultimate Judge of All Truth and Logical Explanations."

No, I meant to say that no logical explanation was found. Something was made up, which is not the same thing.

Again (and for about the 4rth time) you are welcome to demonstrate that the process isn't made up, but can be observed and proven.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 03:08:50 PM »
How is it libel? It wasnt directed at anyone specific.

It was directed at FEers.  You can libel a group.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 03:11:43 PM »

It isn't libel if it's true.  Phaseshifter tends to treat all contested arguments as having been won by him, despite that having not been a conclusion reached by anybody else.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
I'm writing, it doesn't make any sound.

I am stunned by your wit into being even less impressed by you than I used to be.

"people here" is not synonymous with "round earthers".

Not exactly, no, but almost, yes.

No, I meant to say that no logical explanation was found. Something was made up, which is not the same thing.

Hm... interesting.  I think it is the same thing.  You said something like, "No explanation has ever been offered for-such-and-such," so I offered some explanations, and we proceeded to debate their various merits.

I think you are mistakenly referring to proven-true statements as "logical explanations" and probably-false statements as "made up", when really, the terms "logical", "explanation", and "to make up" do not carry those meanings.  Basically, I think you're intentionally denigrating answers that, for personal reasons, you don't like, by labelling them "made up".  All scientific theories, regardless of how well-supported by argument and evidence they may be, were at some point in history "made up".  A set of statements is an explanation if it explains something, and it's logical if it isn't illogical.  Thus the responses I gave were in fact logical explanations that I made up.

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 03:19:41 PM »
I bet this kind of discussion makes you feel all warm inside, Erasmus.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"
I bet this kind of discussion makes you feel all warm inside, Erasmus.

Yup.  Unfortunately it's not helping my fleshy exterior keep warm on this snowy winter day!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 03:25:42 PM »
Yup.  Unfortunately it's not helping my fleshy exterior keep warm on this snowy winter day!

Easily fixed with some alcohol. Although jerking off is more appropriate.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »
I am stunned by your wit into being even less impressed by you than I used to be.

Well that should say something about the statment I was responding to.

Quote:
"people here" is not synonymous with "round earthers".

Not exactly, no, but almost, yes.

Explain how "people here" is almost synnymous with "REers".

There's already a thread for the other topic so there's no point in discussing here, as admin you shouldn,t be encouraging that, but you might want to follow your own rules.

All scientific theories, regardless of how well-supported by argument and evidence they may be, were at some point in history "made up".

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »

Thank you for your great simulation of American ditz-speak, but I can understand English just fine, thanks. Libel is a defamatory statement which contains unjustified slander of an individual. Erasmus' remark was entirely justified, and therefore not libel. Truth is an absolute defense.

Like, that is tooootaly false, dude, Erasmus was like, stating his opinion about Phaseshifter as though it where, like toootally, the truth. BIG diff y'all.
FE Pwnage Archive

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »
Like, that is tooootaly false, dude, Erasmus was like, stating his opinion about Phaseshifter as though it where, like toootally, the truth. BIG diff y'all.

It was the truth, insofar as it conveyed a correct characterization of phaseshifter's apparent views, although it did so by parody rather than by factual statement. Phaseshifter does, in fact, act like he is the judge of when an argument is or is not valid, even when his view is shared by nobody else. It is not libel for Erasmus to parody him and illustrate this point.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 09:02:51 AM »

It was the truth, insofar as it conveyed a correct characterization of phaseshifter's apparent views, although it did so by parody rather than by factual statement. Phaseshifter does, in fact, act like he is the judge of when an argument is or is not valid, even when his view is shared by nobody else. It is not libel for Erasmus to parody him and illustrate this point.

Yes it is.
FE Pwnage Archive

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »

Almost all people here are REers.

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 10:27:12 AM »

Almost all people here are REers.

Then why is this place called the Flat Earth Society?
FE Pwnage Archive

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »

Because that's the subject of discussion?  Gods, don't you even try answering your own questions before you ask them?

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »

Because that's the subject of discussion?  Gods, don't you even try answering your own questions before you ask them?

So this is a website devoted to a theory that most of its membership does not even believe in?  :?
FE Pwnage Archive

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »
So this is a website devoted to a theory that most of its membership does not even believe in?  :?

Yes. Just because nobody believes it doesn't mean that quite a lot of fun can't be had arguing about it. Especially when the hordes of irate RE-believers come pouring in yelling about how the earth is round without a clue how to prove it.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2006, 01:06:56 AM »

Yes. Just because nobody believes it doesn't mean that quite a lot of fun can't be had arguing about it. Especially when the hordes of irate RE-believers come pouring in yelling about how the earth is round without a clue how to prove it.

You people sure do love your slander.
FE Pwnage Archive

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 01:37:42 AM »
You people sure do love your slander.

It's the internet, bitch.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Phaseshifter does, in fact, act like he is the judge of when an argument is or is not valid,

How so?

When I think something isn't valid I explain why I think it is not. (as opposed to the "no it's not" FE answers) If  I disagree with something, I always say why I disagree (unless it's a statment like "squirell have wings" which needs no explanation beyond common sense.)

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 06:11:56 PM »
I always say why I disagree (unless it's a statment like "squirell have wings" which needs no explanation beyond common sense.)

Some examples:
Your image is fake.

No justification.
Holy crap he STILL doesn't get it.

Going from 10 meters per second to 4 meters per second is now a net gain in velocity. This forum is amazing.

...when we were talking about acceleration, and it was 10 m/s/s and 4 m/s/s. Okay, so this one isn't judging something wrong with no justification, but with no valid justification.

And then of course there was the quote that started all this:

You don't do it nearly as much as some, such as BOGWarrior and mbrooksay, but you definitely do it.
-David
E pur si muove!

Rowbathams Folly
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 07:16:06 PM »
I always say why I disagree (unless it's a statment like "squirell have wings" which needs no explanation beyond common sense.)

Some examples:
Your image is fake.

No justification.

Going from 10 meters per second to 4 meters per second is now a net gain in velocity. This forum is amazing.

...when we were talking about acceleration, and it was 10 m/s/s and 4 m/s/s. Okay, so this one isn't judging something wrong with no justification, but with no valid justification.

And then of course there was the quote that started all this:

You don't do it nearly as much as some, such as BOGWarrior and mbrooksay, but you definitely do it.

It is clearly permitted on these forums to just say that a picture is fake with no explanation. FE doesn't demonstrate how NASA pics are fake, it just says that they are.

And I'm sure you understand that I was poiting out the irony of Beast using a picture to validate his statments, when he himself refuses them from REers on the grounds that they are fake, and while the FAQ that he adheres to does not recognise their validity.

I did not make this statment to point out an invalidity. This sentence doesn't question the validity of anything. So I'm not sure how it shows that I am deciding what is and isn't valid. But I don't rememebr whic htopic it was from anyway.

And obviously, I thought engineer was refering to meters per seconds, since he was not my statment was thus null and void.

That is what I said. Because I pointed out the flaws in the explanation (which was that something special is happening at the edge of the world, which you have to agree is a very weak response) and asked for explanations as to how the process would be possible. Explanations were not provided, and thus the phenomenon is still without answers.