I bet I can prove the ISS is real.

• 117 Replies

Lorddave

Re: I bet I can prove the ISS is real.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
the picture is evidence.

and because you don't want to prove it's a fake, it remains evidence

It should be easy to prove that something exists if it in fact does.  It is unreasonable to ask someone to prove that something does not exist.  If it does not exist, then there should not be any proof to give, right?

What if I asked you to prove that fairies don't exist.  The burden of proof should  be on me to prove they do exist, not on you.
But think about it like this. If I said "Charlie Sheen exists", and you asked me to prove it, there are a couple of things I could do. I could show you a picture of him. However, apparently no picture in the world is to be trusted so let's jump off that. I could send you a video of one of his interviews. However, I'm sure those aren't to be trusted either, otherwise #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">View of Hurricane Sandy from outer space would prove a spherical earth to everyone here. So what could I do to prove he exists? Nothing really, unless I'm willing to find where he is, fly there, and kidnap him. So, it's possible that he doesn't exist, and he's a cover-up for something by the government. Possible, but extremely unlikely.
Is Charlie Harper real?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rushy

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »
All we ask is that the OP live up to his thread title, but he hasn't. We don't have to prove that the ISS is not real, that would be silly. You must provide evidence that it is a real object that is in orbit around a spherical Earth.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
i could post pages and pages of photos of the iss and you still wouldn't lift a figer to prove any of them wrong

and i'm not mentioning the terabytes of data you choose to dismiss

Lorddave

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

Is this an image of a real hole in the sidewalk?

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »

Is this an image of a real hole in the sidewalk?

I don't even know what you're trying to prove with that. Nobody is trying to say every picture in the world has nothing but the truth.

Lorddave

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
Exactly. So how do you distinguish between a photo of a space station orbiting the Earth and something that looks like a space station orbiting the Earth?

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
By looking at some of the other 50,000,000 images of it that appear with one easy google search. By watching the videos taken from it, and the videos of tours of the facility.  By looking up articles on how the station works and how it's laid out. Here's the thing. You haven't said one thing about how it's likely that every single picture of the ISS is fake. All you've said is that it's possible. That's why I brought up the Charlie Sheen thing. Nobody thinks Charlie Sheen's existence is completely fake, even though it's possible. That's because just about anything is possible.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
We don't have to prove that the ISS is not real, that would be silly. You must provide evidence that it is a real object that is in orbit around a spherical Earth.

In the face of the abundance of evidence in favor of the existence of the ISS, it is most definitely your burden to prove that it does not exist.  You claim that the ISS does not exist.  I claim that it does.  Both of these claims bear a burden of proof.  To the extent that 'proof' is possible for either claim at all, your claim is not relieved of its burden of proof simply because the claim is negative.

The evidence in favor of the existence of the ISS includes personal testimony and experience (from astronauts, their friends and families, engineers who designed and assembled it, mission controllers, etc.) astronomical photographs, technical documents, journalism, congressional oversight, and, most importantly, the thousands of radio hams who have personally tracked and communicated with the ISS.

How to be successful with the ISS Packet Personal Message System
ISS Ham Radio Reference
Amateur Radio on the ISS

The point of these sources is to prove that there are well-defined, well-understood methods for observing the ISS that, unlike photographs, cannot be faked.  Even if it could be, you don't have any evidence that it is.  You don't have any evidence at all to support your claim.

Search Google and Youtube and you'll quickly find hundreds of recorded ISS contacts.
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
No one here doubts that there is something in the sky called the ISS. We doubt that it's in orbit around the earth.

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
No one here doubts that there is something in the sky called the ISS. We doubt that it's in orbit around the earth.

If it's not in orbit, what's it doing then?  ::)

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
its shape and speed says a lot about it dont you think?

Lorddave

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »
By looking at some of the other 50,000,000 images of it that appear with one easy google search. By watching the videos taken from it, and the videos of tours of the facility.  By looking up articles on how the station works and how it's laid out. Here's the thing. You haven't said one thing about how it's likely that every single picture of the ISS is fake. All you've said is that it's possible. That's why I brought up the Charlie Sheen thing. Nobody thinks Charlie Sheen's existence is completely fake, even though it's possible. That's because just about anything is possible.
Appeal to authority isn't a valid debate method. You are saying that the images and videos and articles must be true because its unlikely they were falsified.  That is a poor argument as you can't actually back it up one way or another. You are telling us to trust that person X isn't lying but give no evidence one way or another.

Of you do an easy google search for enterprise, you'll find pictures of wooden ships, an aircraft carrier, a space shuttle, and 50,000,000 images of star ships. I also have videos, tours, and two technical manuals (one for the original one for the D). I can tell you how it's built, where major components are, and even how phasers work.  This is the exact same type of evidence that you are asking us to accept proves the ISS is an orbiting space station.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »
How about being able to see the ISS with a telescope (and not a fancy one at that). Anyone can do this on any given clear evening. Are we being fooled? And if we are via what mechanisms?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:33 AM »
How about being able to see the ISS with a telescope (and not a fancy one at that). Anyone can do this on any given clear evening. Are we being fooled? And if we are via what mechanisms?

Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »
@Flat Eric, you're dumb. You don't put effort in. You just keep posting "Yea but this and this makes this, so it means this!" Which isn't helping your cause at all. You sound like a teenager trying to tell their parents why it's okay to go to the party at the house where the parents wont be home. "I swear there wont be any alcohol mom!"
We don't allow insults here. Refrain from it or risk ban.

I wasn't intending to insult. I was trying to point out what he sounds like, as I've tried to help him improve his debate in the past. Also, the REers here are constantly insulted, and I never see any moderators commenting on it.
If I see it, I say something.

Now, back to the discussion. You were telling us that Eric's arguments are insufficient?

Yes, as I have tried to point out too him, and Irush has used it to sufficiently troll him and anger him into spewing more insufficient arguments. Let me give you an analogy:

Flat Eric: "The ISS is real! I can prove it to you!"

FE: "Well, go ahead. I am waiting for your proof."

Flat Eric: "Well, I'd show you a picture, but you would just say it's fake. Go get a telescope."

FE: "You told us you would prove it to us. Please provide some evidence."

Flat Eric: "I can prove that it's real! I'm going to, but you think pictures are fake!"

On and on it continues. I digress.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »

But if we can see it we can measure it. And also via what mechanisms does it maintain it's orbit in FET?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »

But if we can see it we can measure it. And also via what mechanisms does it maintain it's orbit in FET?

I think that the popular opinion is that the 'backdraft' of the UA, as it swoops around the earth, keeps it up.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »

I think that the popular opinion is that the 'backdraft' of the UA, as it swoops around the earth, keeps it up.

Does the UA behave like a fluid medium? And if it does, what causes it to do so, but also to be able to accelerate the universe and never run out of energy?
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »

Does the UA behave like a fluid medium? And if it does, what causes it to do so, but also to be able to accelerate the universe and never run out of energy?

Why would it never run out of energy? What cause the big bang to occur?

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »

Constantly accelerating at 9.8m/s2 means that eventually said object will reach the speed of light. The closer to the speed of light you get, the more energy you need to continue accelerating, and eventually you need infinite energy to keep accelerating the infinite mass/energy of the object being accelerated.

Rushy

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
Constantly accelerating at 9.8m/s2 means that eventually said object will reach the speed of light. The closer to the speed of light you get, the more energy you need to continue accelerating, and eventually you need infinite energy to keep accelerating the infinite mass/energy of the object being accelerated.

Which has never been experimentally shown to be true, since nothing larger than single particle masses have been accelerated near the speed of light. You're just throwing up basic relativity jargon without actually verifying it.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
You will never reach the speed of light nor the infinite amount of energy required.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »

And how do you know that when that point is reached it will still keep going?

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »

Well, according to relativity, it won't reach that point, and if it does, it wont keep going. Acceleration would cease. But due to some thing I'm still having a hard time understanding, we may not feel the effects of that here on earth right away. If the UA is the cause of our "gravity," then if we do feel the effects, I'm sure you could see where this could cause some serious issues. There was much discussion about this in another thread a while back, I hope you'll forgive me if I do not remember what thread it was in.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »

Well, according to relativity, it won't reach that point, and if it does, it wont keep going. Acceleration would cease. But due to some thing I'm still having a hard time understanding, we may not feel the effects of that here on earth right away. If the UA is the cause of our "gravity," then if we do feel the effects, I'm sure you could see where this could cause some serious issues. There was much discussion about this in another thread a while back, I hope you'll forgive me if I do not remember what thread it was in.

And I hope that doesn't happen for a long time.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
Well, according to relativity, it won't reach that point,and if it does, it wont keep going. Acceleration would cease. But due to some thing I'm still having a hard time understanding (relativity), we may will not feel the effects of that here on earth right away ever.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
Well, according to relativity, it won't reach that point,and if it does, it wont keep going. Acceleration would cease. But due to some thing I'm still having a hard time understanding (relativity), we may will not feel the effects of that here on earth right away ever.

I enjoy your editing. I'll expand upon what I said. Since it wont reach that point, acceleration would need to slow down, because it can't reach c. The actual debate was over whether or not we would ever feel the effects in our reference frame.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
why argue over a thought experiment anyway, no data has been collected to back any of these claims. its really irritating when you spew out this crap. the true answer is "i dont know".

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
why argue over a thought experiment anyway, no data has been collected to back any of these claims. its really irritating when you spew out this crap. the true answer is "i dont know".

Plenty of data has been collected on relativity. It has been tested and verified countless times over the last few decades, and even before the theory was properly established. Here are several examples. There may even be a few of those you can do yourself.

Now, if you were talking about the UA, I don't know if that's been verified or not. Internet searches have proven unsuccessful.

Rushy

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
Since it wont reach that point, acceleration would need to slow down, because it can't reach c.

Incorrect. You can approach an asymptote at a constant rate, but never reach it.