Felix baumgartner

• 23 Replies
Felix baumgartner
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
When he jumped the Earth was round  >o< is it possible to photo shop live? Please say yes, I'm gonna cry  ???
51gn3d tH3 Tr011

Re: Felix baumgartner
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
This isn't the section for debate or retarded questions. The answer to your poorly worded question is yes, editing videos is possible.

Lorddave

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:44:21 PM »
When he jumped the Earth was round  >o< is it possible to photo shop live? Please say yes, I'm gonna cry  ???
Or it was an optical illusion.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:58:29 AM »
Looked like a disc to me, either way was a hell of a jump.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:55:26 AM »

You do know what a wide angle lens is, right?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »
Like iwanttobelieve said, it looked like a disc. That's what you'd expect the area of sunlight shining down to look like, is it not? A circle.
Recently listened to:

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
But exactly how much curve should that circle have?

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »

However much is observed.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »

However much is observed.

How do you know?  Did you find out the camera angle?  Do you know the exact size of the illuminated circle of earth?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

... 360 degrees. That's the definition of a circle. The angle of the curve you see should be equal to that of your field of vision.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »

... 360 degrees. That's the definition of a circle. The angle of the curve you see should be equal to that of your field of vision.
Correct!  I worded my question wrong.  How curved should it look then?  What is the angular radius of this circle at Felix's altitude?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »

Correct!  I worded my question wrong.  How curved should it look then?  What is the angular radius of this circle at Felix's altitude?

If that isn't answered properly by the time I get power back, I'll google the proper formulas and figure it out for you. But that might be a week from now, so don't hold your breath. Blame Sandy.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »

If that isn't answered properly by the time I get power back, I'll google the proper formulas and figure it out for you. But that might be a week from now, so don't hold your breath. Blame Sandy.
I know how to calculate that without googling formulas.  I just need starting figures.  Like altitude, and size of circle.  It takes only basic trigonometry.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
angular radius of a circle = tan-1 (circle radius / altitude)

Oh, and there's the problem that if you're not directly above the centre of said circle, it won't appear circular.  the nearest side will appear lower in your vision than the farthest.  But that can be calculated too.

angular distance of any point on the circle from nadir = tan-1 (ground distance to that point / altitude)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:00:20 PM by Nolhekh »

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 05:49:35 AM »

Oh, and there's the problem that if you're not directly above the centre of said circle, it won't appear circular.  the nearest side will appear lower in your vision than the farthest.  But that can be calculated too.

angular distance of any point on the circle from nadir = tan-1 (ground distance to that point / altitude)

Which doesn't account for the wide angle camera I'm under the impression he used or the fact that he was spinning, which might distort the view somewhat. Gotta account for all variables to get an accurate answer.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »

Which doesn't account for the wide angle camera I'm under the impression he used or the fact that he was spinning, which might distort the view somewhat. Gotta account for all variables to get an accurate answer.

The angular placement of something is the same whatever camera you use.  To calculate where something appears in a camera is mostly the same kind of math, but is more involved.  The angular field of view of the camera is needed for this calculation.  I'm not sure anyone here knows what field was used for Felix's Flight.  I've seen at least two different ones.  There's a standard planar projection photograph (which is very easy to calculate for), but most of it, the weird distorted fish-eye is a spherical projection - which doesn't work on flat screens very well, which is why it looks so weird from wherever you look at it.  I haven't done a whole lot of math research for spherical distortions, as they're hard to draw due to the tendency for it to curve everything.

kenorb

• A new beginning always starts at the end
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

For me it's pretty flat:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,56081.msg1409093.html#msg1409093

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
are you the same guy who sees an icewall close to where felix jumped, new mexico?

kenorb

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 10:34:16 AM »
are you the same guy who sees an icewall close to where felix jumped, new mexico?

About the ice-wall, I'm not sure, I've to do computer simulation.

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
and you are shure about the earth being flat?

kenorb

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
and you are sure about the earth being flat?

We're not sure about anything.
Even if we're existing for real or in some kind of Matrix.
Ref: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120132-Science-Suggests-Were-Living-in-the-Matrix
So the shape of the Earth is the smallest problem.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
and you are sure about the earth being flat?

We're not sure about anything.
Even if we're existing for real or in some kind of Matrix.
Ref: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120132-Science-Suggests-Were-Living-in-the-Matrix
So the shape of the Earth is the smallest problem.

Even a simulation would have a definition for the shape of the world in it.  And within the simulation, science can be done to find out.  This post really is not relevant.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
thanks guys, my faith in this theory is restored and humanity lost :D
51gn3d tH3 Tr011

?

Thork

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »
Mr Troll face, please consider this a warning for your continual low content nonsense. If you just want a bit of banter, please find your way to the lower fora boards such as 'complete nonsense' and 'angry ranting' where you will find like minded trolls. If you continue up here, you will be taking a short holiday from the site.