undeniable proof that a round earth exists

• 17 Replies
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:56:13 PM »
I would like any flat earther to explain that if the world is flat, then how come when you go the beach and a boat sails into the distance, away from the observer it 'sinks' into the water because THE EARTH IS CURVED. It really boggles the mind how people still believe the world is flat. how long has it been, couple thousand years, give or take. sounds good.

here, let me make it easy:

______
|         |
|         |
\-------/-------- here is our ship, at the water line.

when it is sailing away for a few minutes, then it'll look like this:

_____
|       |
|-----|------------- here it is again a few minutes later. see how it 'sank' into the waterline?

wait, i forgot, whenever i go to the ocean the government is pumping drugs into the air to make me hallucinate to make me think that i'm seeing this phenomenon. why would the government try so hard to make us believe the world is flat?

i bet all of the flat earthers here are pseudo intellectual obese idiots in their 30's who play WoW all day and still live with mom and dad and have meetings with their 'colleagues' to discuss pseudo scientific garbage like this.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:12:27 PM »
Oh yeah? Well according to this obviously intellectual diagram, the Earth is flat.

____ sun_____
___     ###
!!--#------$-|X@@
----
!!!
Earth^

See? Can't you see it?

Also, I'll have you know, I'm not in my thirties, am at a particularly normal weight for a sixteen-year-old, and I never play WoW nor do I ever intend to. It's a horrible, life-eating game, and everybody knows it...I prefer Counter-Strike.
Oh, and I do live with my mom and dad, but it's not really a problem, seeing as that's quite normal for my age. However, I don't have colleagues to discuss such "fake garbage" such as the Earth's flatness.

Pseudo, pseudo, pseudo...Sorry, I like over-using the word as well. It makes me sound more intelligent.

?

mjk

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:19:41 PM »
i'm sorry but you'r poorly drawn straight lines made absolutely NO sense to me.

the fact is that human eye sight cannot see to infinity, so eventually a ship will obscure and exit our field of vision.  duh,  was it really that hard to realise?

Quote from: "safety not garanteed"
i bet all of the flat earthers here are pseudo intellectual obese idiots in their 30's who play WoW all day and still live with mom and dad and have meetings with their 'colleagues' to discuss pseudo scientific garbage like this.

well I bet that all of the tards who come on here calling us idiots are 13 year old  emo retards who, struggling to cope with their own patheticness, feel the need to insult other people because they're too stupid to realise what is actually going on.
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:22:55 PM »
Quote from: "mjk"

the fact is that human eye sight cannot see to infinity, so eventually a ship will obscure and exit our field of vision.  duh,  was it really that hard to realise?

well I bet that all of the tards who come on here calling us idiots are 13 year old  emo retards who, struggling to cope with their own patheticness, feel the need to insult other people because they're too stupid to realise what is actually going on.

You think the earth is flat.

pwnt.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

?

mjk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:26:21 PM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"

pwnt.

YOU think i think the earth is flat.

pwnt!  :lol:
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:27:28 PM »

pwnt.

Ouch! Ouch! The irony! It burns! Auuugh!

~D-Draw

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:32:40 AM »

pwnt.

Clearly you do, or you wouldnt be ridiculing your fellow REers.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
You know, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Yardstick has never actually been right about anything. That in itself is pretty impressive.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
You know, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Yardstick has never actually been right about anything. That in itself is pretty impressive.

Quite so, I'd suppose...

~Diego.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »
i like how everyone is discussing everything but my idea. i apologize for my bad graphic. here is a drawing that represents my idea.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/earth-curve.gif

yeah, so if any flat earther would like to rebut this, i'd be open to discussion.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 09:53:15 PM »

no, the reason a horizon exists at all is because the earth is curved. think about it. if it was flat, there wouldn't be a horizon. if we look at the ocean, we have ocean in the bottom field of view, and then abruptly to sky. if it was flat, the ocean would mesh into the sky when the distance got too far for the human eye to see. let me provide another example.

say we go back to our 'ship' example, but this time it's a black dot on a white ball. you put yourself so you are eye level to the ball and the dot is facing you. you roll the ball forward (the 'ship' is going away). what happens? you don't see the dot anymore. now, put a black dot on a piece of paper (a 'flat' earth). no matter how you look at it you can always see the dot on the paper. same with our ship. instead of it sinking over the horizon like it does it would fade into the distance but the entire ship would be exposed. does this happen? no. flat earth doesn't exist.

?

mjk

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:33 PM »
Quote from: "safety not guaranteed"

no, the reason a horizon exists at all is because the earth is curved. think about it. if it was flat, there wouldn't be a horizon. if we look at the ocean, we have ocean in the bottom field of view, and then abruptly to sky. if it was flat, the ocean would mesh into the sky when the distance got too far for the human eye to see. let me provide another example.

i'm sorry but as i read this it seems you've just said the same thing twice. you are saying that in a round earth you see 'below' you the ocean and 'above' you the sky, and that as you look further and further away the two eventually meet.  and as far as i can tell you say this wouldnt happen in a flat earth and that they would "mesh".  what do you mean by mesh? why wouldnt they meet in the same way?
say we go back to our 'ship' example, but this time it's a black dot on a white ball. you put yourself so you are eye level to the ball and the dot is facing you. you roll the ball forward (the 'ship' is going away). what happens? you don't see the dot anymore. now, put a black dot on a piece of paper (a 'flat' earth). no matter how you look at it you can always see the dot on the paper. same with our ship. instead of it sinking over the horizon like it does it would fade into the distance but the entire ship would be exposed. does this happen? no. flat earth doesn't exist.

i'm sorry, but that made even LESS sense to me than your "line ship" diagram.  the ball will roll away, but because a ball rolls away doesnt mean the world rolls either.  if you take the paper far enough away you wont see the dot on it either.

say you look out your window and see a mountain, no doubt on a flat earth there are bigger mountains behind that one you're looking at.  but because the human eye can only see a certain distance those mountains that are further away are not visible. k?

?

mjk

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:54:25 PM »

pwnt.

havent you heard of metaphorical devils advocates?

i'm honestly surprised you've made so many posts without picking up how much fun it is to argue FOR FE rather than against.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 12:28:18 AM »

Actually...The reason a horizon exists is because there is a ground level (or sea level) which is..."coplanar" so to speak, to the air level and the other levels. Horizons still exist in the Flat Earth Model, they just aren't as close, since the Earth doesn't curve. If there weren't horizons...it just wouldn't really make any sense.

This is a hole in the theory that has already been found in other discussions. So, yes, we don't know exactly why the "sinking effect" happens, at least not in a unified manner, but it's been speculated that it could be some sort of optical illusion; or rather our eyes playing tricks on us.

~D-Draw

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »

pwnt.

havent you heard of metaphorical devils advocates?

i'm honestly surprised you've made so many posts without picking up how much fun it is to argue FOR FE rather than against.

Um yeah sure Judas Iscariot it is fun being a DA. But all it does is create confusion and animosity.

Tosser.
quote="Dogplatter"]

LOL

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 07:08:16 AM »
just accept it the world is flat, me and my uncle even saw the ice wall
for the full story go here http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59690&highlight=#59690
 Want to be A Pokemon when I grow up

?

i dont know

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »
if the earth is flat and the boat going in to the horizon why would the bottom of it disappear first and not the sail at the same time

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 10:51:35 AM »
Quote from: "i dont know"
if the earth is flat and the boat going in to the horizon why would the bottom of it disappear first and not the sail at the same time

Old and no.