The underside?

• 16 Replies
The underside?
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
I'm an open-minded individual but I'm new here so forgive me if I ask questions previously posted (I'm sure it will happen).  I'm just wondering and I'm sure many people have posed this question but, by the picture featured on the home page it appears that all continents are on one side, and that the earth resembles a coin (for lack of a better analogy).  My question is "What is hypothesized to be on the other side of the coin?"  I guess I'm assuming that the Earth if flat, is a circle.  If this is the assumption then I am curious to know what is on the other side?  I have many other questions however I want to proceed question by question, each are satisfied individually.  Thanking you in advance for any insight you can offer.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Re: The underside?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
We don't pretend to have any idea what is on the other side. Presumably, it's something that can withstand the constant bombardment of aether. I'd postulate high amounts of lead, just because it is dense. However, we really have no idea.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
Thank you for your prompt answer.  Aether if I'm not mistaken is a concept from medieval science dealing with the elements as they were believed to be.  Having taken several Chemistry courses and what I am familiar with as far as elements, atoms, molecules as presented in those fields, I am not sure that I am completely comfortable with your answer but I will give it further thought.  Again I appreciate your insight.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Some believe it to be just rocks. Others believe the earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
Some believe it to be just rocks. Others believe the earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.
While yet others believe that there is a rather large man holding up the earth.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
No, Atlas is always depicted holding a giant ball. You are mixing up the theories you don't believe in.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
No, Atlas is always depicted holding a giant ball. You are mixing up the theories you don't believe in.
Not so.  That's just RE revisionist mythology.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
If he screwed some legs to that thing, not only would he not have to hold it up, he'd also have a place to pop his coffee.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
Of course that begs the question of what does Atlas (or the great turtle) stand on?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
Of course that begs the question of what does Atlas (or the great turtle) stand on?

It's turtles all the way down

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
Atlas always held the celestial sphere. Not the earth (flat or otherwise). Later perversions of this story are incidental.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

Thork

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
A better question is why isn't he wearing any pants? This is clearly another attempt to ridicule Flat Earth Theory.

?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
In the original myth Atlas was punished by Zeus to hold the sky up not the Earth.
People annoy me

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
In the original myth Atlas was punished by Zeus to hold the sky up not the Earth.

Atlas always held the celestial sphere. Not the earth (flat or otherwise). Later perversions of this story are incidental.

Thank you for your insightful contribution to the thread.

Rushy

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
Obviously since the UA is going upwards at a constant acceleration, it is in fact a large bird or dragon holding the disc of the Earth; certainly not any sort of land animal.

?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Maybe it's on the top of an alien spacecraft.
People annoy me

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »

Very interesting.

Atlas mountains in Morocco could be the center of the Earth.

Any research on Sun position in this light?