Eat like a Hobbit

• 90 Replies
?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
Eat like a Hobbit
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
So have you ever wanted to eat like an Elf? Devour like a dwarf? Gorge like Gandalf? Hungry as a hobbit?
Well this is the site for you!

http://apps.warnerbros.com/thehobbit/recipes/us/
Also, it seems the Hobbit is now a trilogy.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: Eat like a Hobbit
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
Ian McKellen looks way too fucking old.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Ian McKellen looks way too fucking old.

Looks the same to me.

Rushy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
It would help if the recipes had more exact measurements. How am I supposed to know what constitutes a "splash" of milk?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:15 AM »
How is a splash hard to understand?  You lilt the container until you hear a splash in the other container.  Then stop tilting it and return it to its upright position. 

Let me know if you need me to explain what a pinch is.

Rushy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
How is a splash hard to understand?  You lilt the container until you hear a splash in the other container.  Then stop tilting it and return it to its upright position. 

If a recipe isn't in exact terms, it simply isn't a good recipe.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:28:41 AM »
Stop this tomfoolery and start talking about the movie.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »

This thread is about Hobbit food and it is going to stay that way.  >:(

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »

If you need to exactly measure everything and can't deal with common terms like "splash", then you aren't a very good cook.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

This thread is about Hobbit food and it is going to stay that way.  >:(

NO U!

Rushy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »
If you need to exactly measure everything and can't deal with common terms like "splash", then you aren't a very good cook.

No, I'm not. However, this is not the food network, this is a recipe on a web site. It should have exact specifications and instructions. Recipes don't need these ridiculous variable input scenarios. If I wanted to tamper with the recipe I would do it how I want and with whatever ingredients I want to. I don't need the recipe putting vague terms in place of measurements to let me know I can vary the amount. Cooking is both a science and an art. I couldn't give less of a shit about the art part.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »

How good isn't it?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
People aren't going to think the head dwarf is Aargorn and it shan't have its movie fans.

inb4 ichi
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »

No, I'm not. However, this is not the food network, this is a recipe on a web site. It should have exact specifications and instructions. Recipes don't need these ridiculous variable input scenarios. If I wanted to tamper with the recipe I would do it how I want and with whatever ingredients I want to. I don't need the recipe putting vague terms in place of measurements to let me know I can vary the amount. Cooking is both a science and an art. I couldn't give less of a shit about the art part.

You'll find most traditional recipes have the same sort of instructions.  Quit being a baby and learn how to cook.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
The only reason I continue to live is so I can eventually watch the Hobbit movies
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
The only reason I continue to live is so I can eventually watch the Hobbit movies
What if they make the sumarian(you spell it)
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

Cooking is an art, baking is a science.  The whole point of cooking is that you should tamper the recipe any way that you want.  It's when you get into baking or making certain sauces that specific ratios of ingredients or techniques become important.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Rushy

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
You'll find most traditional recipes have the same sort of instructions.  Quit being a baby and learn how to cook.

No, I will not accept this poor excuse for a recipe. Chefs everywhere will rue the day I discovered their vague atrocities.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
To cook I am going to have to learn how to cook. What bullshit!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Wait till he figures out that cook times are relative to atmospheric pressure, so any recipe with a specific cook times will be inaccurate at other elevations than the one it was written for.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
Wait till he figures out that cook times are relative to atmospheric pressure, so any recipe with a specific cook times will be inaccurate at other elevations than the one it was written for.
ANOTHER WIN FOR FET!
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Rushy

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »

Recalculations to exact specifications can be made, as it is nothing more than a simple conversion. A "splash" however, does not exist as a measurement. Thus it is implied that the original maker of the recipe didn't know how to express things in liquid volume measurements. Accepting this lack of specification as "something that cooks just do" is nothing more than stupid. Arguments from tradition are the dumbest kind especially when regarding ill-conceived traditions based on people who couldn't perform basic math. I should not have to guess recipe amounts because the original manufacturer of the recipe didn't know how to measure. Measuring is the basis of good instructions. What is even funnier is that many of you defend this vague nonsense. There is no good reason that cooking should not involve exact specifications.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
A splash is probably a couple tablespoons. It really depends on what you're putting the splash of liquid in. In lots of recipes the precise amount of some ingredients isn't that important, because you would adjust it to suit your taste.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »

Cooking is an art, baking is a science.  The whole point of cooking is that you should tamper the recipe any way that you want.  It's when you get into baking or making certain sauces that specific ratios of ingredients or techniques become important.

Baking is an art also. I know a guy who worked at Tastycake, baking cup cakes and stuff. He said the amount of liquid required is variable. Depending on humidity and other factors.

God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
I bet Irush measures carefully how much salt he puts on his chips. Tell me, is it a 1/4 teaspoon? Also, do you weight the chips first to make sure you know you are getting the proportions right? Or do you just go by instinct?
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:15:37 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Rushy

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
A "splash" however, does not exist as a measurement.

Actually, it does*: http://voices.yahoo.com/recipe-language-explained-whats-dash-splash-pinch-8383419.html

*Google is your friend.
Incorrect. This is like saying a foot can equal the literal amount of how long your foot is. If you have to use the term "about," then you are not regarding an exact measurement, try again, Markjo.

I bet Irush measures carefully how much salt he puts on his chips. Tell me, is it a 1/4 teaspoon? Also, do you weight the chips first to make sure you know you are getting the proportions right? Or do you just go by instinct?
I don't put salt on chips, they have plenty of salt on them already.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
Irush is clearly no hobbit.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
Oh irush, ok you win.  Trollers will troll.  Take your victory with a pinch of salt, however.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET