A simple observation turned into something quizical.

• 2 Replies
?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
A simple observation turned into something quizical.
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
While being in marching band all summer (and still in it now) I have noticed something rather odd. When practicing outside I have a clear view of the sun. When I look at the sun (I have sunglasses on to protect my eyes) when the sun is lower and setting I notice that the sun looks larger than when I saw the sun earlier in the practice. I have observed this many times at practice, and wondered why the sun looks larger when it is setting than when it is higher in the sky. Is there any explanation to why this happens? The sun (in some flat earth theories) makes a circle around the equator, and the "setting sun" you see it the sun getting farther away from you appearing to drop below the horizon. Why have I observed the sun appearing to get larger as it gets lower?
People annoy me

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: A simple observation turned into something quizical.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
It's a magnification effect of the atmosphere. See this article in our encyclopedia.

Usually the effect balances out with the shrinking of perspective, keeping the sun's size somewhat consistent. But depending on atmospheric consitions, sometimes the sun does get bigger, as you've seen.

?

Eric Byrnes

• GIT SOM
Re: A simple observation turned into something quizical.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
I see, Thank you Tom.
People annoy me