For RETers

• 5 Replies
For RETers
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
Probably none of you have read The Sleepwalkers

But it is an amazing book that talks about how ignoring science and years of research led people into the dark ages.  It would be the best counter-book to Earth Not A Globe.  I suggest you read it and I suggest you tell every FETer to "read The Sleepwalkers".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:16:37 PM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
Re: For RETers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
Probably none of you have read The Sleepwalkers

But it is an amazing book that talks about how ignoring science and years of research led people into the dark ages.  It would be the best counter-book to Earth Not A Globe.  I suggest you read it and I suggest you tell every FETer to "read The Sleepwalkers".

Free pdf anywhere?
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
I suggest you read it and I suggest you tell every FETer to "read The Sleepwalkers".

I suggest you read Earth Not a Globe and tell every REer to do so as well.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
I started it. Will you read The Sleepwalkers?

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »
A review "A physicist friend told me about this book, endorsing it as the best and most accurate treatment of the elucidation of the motions of the planets. When I picked it up, I found myself transported not just to the early Renaissance, but to Greece, where the story begins with Pythagoras and others. Koestler approached this as a lone intellectual, rather than an acacdemic, which means that he went back and read all the original sources to see things for himself rather than rely on secondary texts. That gave him a vivid feel for what these discoverers thought and did that is sadly absent from most survey histories available.
The result is a unique master work, in which you feel you get to know Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo as well as their classical predecessors. The science is explained as are the dead ends, and some harsh judgements made: Koestler was not timid! He also succeeds is putting the discoveries into context, as the standard against which scientific discovery has come to be measured.

Though I studied this in high school physics, this is what truly made this period come alive for me. I will reread this for years to come."

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
It sounds interesting and worthy of reading. I will pick it up.