Little boy bullied for wearing skirts; father starts wearing them too.

• 89 Replies

Supertails

• what do i put here
I have a good feeling about this thread already. Do you think this is 'wrong' or is this man father of the year?
Recently listened to:

Rushy

Re: Little boy bullied for wearing skirts; father starts wearing them too.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
For one, that isn't a skirt, it's a dress. And two, whatever, I give up.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
>red skirt with a green t-shirt

What a pleb

Looks like he's wearing a fucking bath towel

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
For one, that isn't a skirt, it's a dress. And two, whatever, I give up.

;)

>red skirt with a green t-shirt

What a pleb

Looks like he's wearing a fucking bath towel

I thought the same thing! Talk about lack of fashion sense in even its simplest form.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
Guys are not notorious for their color coordination and he probably doesn't have a whole lot of frilly matching shirts. This dad is awesome, I'm not surprised he lives in Germany. There are a lot of liberal gender benders over there.

?

burt

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
Guys are not notorious for their color coordination and he probably doesn't have a whole lot of frilly matching shirts. This dad is awesome, I'm not surprised he lives in Germany. There are a lot of liberal gender benders over there.

Rooster again with her glittering pearls of wisdom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

Seriously, though, isn't it part of a parent's job to teach their children about social norms and appropriate behavior and appearance in public?

?

burt

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »

Seriously, though, isn't it part of a parent's job to teach their children about social norms and appropriate behavior and appearance in public?

Yes, What makes you think that wearing a dress is inappropriate?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
The same thing that makes publicly picking your nose or scratching your ass inappropriate.  It isn't accepted.  It violates the norms of society.

?

burt

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
It violates the norms of society.

Your point being?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
The same thing that makes publicly picking your nose or scratching your ass inappropriate.  It isn't accepted.  It violates the norms of society.

Societal norms are silly and pointlessly limiting.
Recently listened to:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
Lots of guys wear dresses.  Especially red dresses.  In fact, sometimes it's the social uniform of the day.
http://www.reddressruns.org/
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
It violates the norms of society.

Your point being?

Look, we don't need to go through every step of the Socratic method here.  You know what social norms are.  If you have a problem with them, just spell it out.

rooster

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »

But the kid is 5 years old! Who cares what they wear. And if the kid is gay and wants to wear dresses then he should be able to do so. There are very little social norms regarding dress these days, your example was hygiene related which is more important than arbitrary dress norms.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 05:32:10 PM »
But the kid is 5 years old! Who cares what they wear.

Obviously his peers do, hence the bullying.

And if the kid is gay and wants to wear dresses then he should be able to do so.

The five year old kid is gay?

Rushy

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
This is going to devolve into yet another discussion about why society should be a certain way (which just happens to be the way the majority agrees with). If the majority of people thought boning kids was okay, pedos wouldn't be put in jail, etc. etc.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
But the kid is 5 years old! Who cares what they wear.

Obviously his peers do, hence the bullying.

Yes we should all do what our peers think we should do and nothing more or less.

And if the kid is gay and wants to wear dresses then he should be able to do so.

The five year old kid is gay?

Maybe he is?

This is going to devolve into yet another discussion about why society should be a certain way (which just happens to be the way the majority agrees with). If the majority of people thought boning kids was okay, pedos wouldn't be put in jail, etc. etc.

It's not that complex. Pedophilia hurts people, a boy wearing a dress does not.
Recently listened to:

Rushy

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

Yet suicide is illegal.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

Yet suicide is illegal.

Please point out where I said anything about laws being rational. ???
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:51:05 PM by Supertails »
Recently listened to:

Rushy

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »

Yet suicide is illegal.

The point is the individual is hurting the self, not someone else. Society attempts to self-correct for that, hence suicide being illegal or cross-dressing being made fun of.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »

Yet suicide is illegal.

The point is the individual is hurting the self, not someone else. Society attempts to self-correct for that, hence suicide being illegal or cross-dressing being made fun of.

Which is stupid. Though I can hardly see why you'd compare suicide and cross-dressing.
Recently listened to:

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
What that kid needs is to be smacked. Dresses are for girls. Don't like it? Then go drown in your own sorrow drawing chibi emo love scenes. Stop trying to make some f'd up people seem normal when they really aren't-they are freaks.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
Yes we should all do what our peers think we should do and nothing more or less.

Unless you also happen to be five years old, this comment makes no sense.  This kid isn't wearing a dress because he's trying to make some bold statement of individuality or brave challenge of irrational social norms.  No five-year-old has the rationality or maturity to do anything of the kind.  He's wearing a dress for the same reason that other five-year-olds constantly wear Superman pajamas or underwear on their heads - they don't know any better.  That's how little kids are.  They do silly things, and therefore often need their parents to guide their behavior appropriately.

Also, ignore Ichi.  He's not even putting in any effort.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
If I were the father, I'd tell the parents of the bullies to get their kids in order and then put my kid in 'normal' clothing while attempting to explain why. He wouldn't have any idea of sexuality at his age (at least, I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong), so wearing a dress does nothing but attract negativity and contribute to confusion.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

Unless you also happen to be five years old, this comment makes no sense.  This kid isn't wearing a dress because he's trying to make some bold statement of individuality or brave challenge of irrational social norms.  No five-year-old has the rationality or maturity to do anything of the kind.  He's wearing a dress for the same reason that other five-year-olds constantly wear Superman pajamas or underwear on their heads - they don't know any better.  That's how little kids are.  They do silly things, and therefore often need their parents to guide their behavior appropriately.

Okay, and why should he be told he can't wear his clothing of choice? It's not like he's hurting somebody, it's just enforcing pointless and frankly silly gender stereotypes that don't have any actual grounding in anything at all, just like how pink used to be the manly colour and blue was feminine. It used to be "women wear skirts, men wear pants" or something. Now women wear whatever, so let guys wear whatever.

And yes, Ichi's post was made of 100% dumb.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
I'm fine with men/boys wearing skirts/dresses because of the example Supertails brought up. It was taboo for women to wear pants even in the 50s but look how ridiculous that seems now. Why should it not be the same in reverse? There's nothing logically wrong with a man wearing a dress.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
We need Thork to share his opinions on the subject with us.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
Why are neither of them wearing shoes?
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »

Okay, and why should he be told he can't wear his clothing of choice? It's not like he's hurting somebody, it's just enforcing pointless and frankly silly gender stereotypes that don't have any actual grounding in anything at all, just like how pink used to be the manly colour and blue was feminine. It used to be "women wear skirts, men wear pants" or something. Now women wear whatever, so let guys wear whatever.

And yes, Ichi's post was made of 100% dumb.

Guys don't look good in skirts/dresses in my opinion.  The issue is that men look more like animals, and look better when covered up more fully.  Now this is of course subjective, but hairy/thick legs just don't suit women's fashion.  Women are on average more delicate, and therefore have more delicate garments.  Am I against the kid wearing dresses, no, but there are going to be consequences.  Should he be bullied, no, but I can't say i wouldn't laugh at how bad it looked.

And he is hurting himself.  By not knowing the importance of appearance in our society, and by choosing an outfit suited to the opposite gender, he makes himself appear as an outsider.  As a child, acceptance is key.  Making or allowing you child to be an extreme (a cross dresser) is ill advised.  If his 16 year old gay son chose to wear dresses, and the father supported this by wearing skirts, i would be more likely to approve.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
This story is an example of liberalism going too far.

Whether we like it or not, there are things that appear harmless on the surface that are considered taboo in society.  Males wearing dresses is one of them.  If an adult male chooses to buck societal conventions and wear a dress in public, that's his choice as someone of a mature mind.  He likely understands that there will be negative consequences for doing so, and has made the choice to do it anyway.

People are going to tease him.  People are going to reject him.  People are going to talk about him.  Sure, some people may applaud his "bravery", but such people are probably going to be in the minority.  For the most part he will be treated as a joke.  Whether it's right or not is beside the point; it's just the way it is.  It's human nature.

And again, he probably knows all this.  He has the life experience to understand the risk he's taking for choosing to do something that's not considered normal.  Since there's no law against men wearing dresses (in most civilized places anyway) he is free to make this choice.  If he's willing to accept the consequences, hey, more power to him.

The same cannot be said about an immature-minded child.  As a five-year-old, he lacks the wisdom and life experience to understand the consequences of his actions.  He's going to be teased and rejected at a time when it's probably most important for him to be accepted.  This poor kid is looking at a lifetime of issues and his boneheaded father isn't doing him any favors by supporting it.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?