So what do you FE'ers think about this?

• 44 Replies

Rushy

Re: So what do you FE'ers think about this?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
The picture says 34km when the school said it only reached 33km, fascinating. Furthermore, even on a round Earth one would not see any real curvature from that height. That is pseudo-curvature caused by the horizon.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
The picture says 34km when the school said it only reached 33km, fascinating. Furthermore, even on a round Earth one would not see any real curvature from that height. That is pseudo-curvature caused by the horizon.
Apparently 20 miles is enough. Look at the picture.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
The picture says 34km when the school said it only reached 33km, fascinating.

What exactly is your point?

That is pseudo-curvature caused by the horizon.

So it isn't really round after all, it only looks that way right?

?

burt

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »

That is a pseudo-argument caused by the sentence.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

The Earth is flat because a journalist didn't do his math properly.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-18793717

In the future, try to not create topics with no content other than a link.

Also, the picture looks exactly like what you would expect to see if you were high enough over a disk. So to answer your question, we think it's proof of a flat earth.

?

burt

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »

Also, the picture looks exactly like what you would expect to see if you were high enough over a disk. So to answer your question, I think it's proof of a flat earth.

fixed.

?

burt

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

The Earth is flat because a journalist didn't do his math properly.

Those goddamn journlists should be carefull, if they keep exposing the conspiracy like this, we might not be able to keep it a secret.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
So its exactly what a disk should look like from that height but not a sphere?

Rushy

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
A sphere would show a great deal more curvature than this picture shows. It is obviously just the lit portion of a disc.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
A sphere would show a great deal more curvature than this picture shows. It is obviously just the lit portion of a disc.

But hold on...I thought....

Yeah, now you've really lost me...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:05:55 PM by Chablar »

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »

Also, the picture looks exactly like what you would expect to see if you were high enough over a disk. So to answer your question, we think it's proof of a flat earth.

No it doesn't. You try this one with every single photo that shows earth curvature, and the flaw in your argument this time is that this was launched from Wales.
Do you know where Wales is? If you're American, the answer will be no, but since everyone else probably does, I'll continue without further clarification. You would not be able to see a big rounded curve of the entire earth perimeter from Wales, especially at an altitude of 21 miles, if the disc of the earth is the diameter the FAQ claims it to be, as it would simply not be high enough to see it properly. Draw a diagram to scale if you don't believe me. Secondly, in order to claim the curve represents the edge of the disc and not the visible portion of a spheroid, you'd need to have more than one picture taken in different directions in order to assess if the edge was further away in one direction than in another, because unless you observe from over the centre of the disc (not Wales, for the Americans out there), there will be more curve one way than another. With a single image, you can't make that claim. Additionally, there have been high altitude images of this type in which the camera spins round a full 360 degrees and a curved edge is visible in every direction with no area of darkness where the sun is not shining. Since the sun cannot illuminate the entire disc at once, that demonstrates your hypothesis to be wrong.
And finally, if the earth was flat, it would have straight edges not curved ones.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

burt

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

No it doesn't. You try this one with every single photo that shows earth curvature, and the flaw in your argument this time is that this was launched from Wales.
Do you know where Wales is? If you're American, the answer will be no, but since everyone else probably does, I'll continue without further clarification. You would not be able to see a big rounded curve of the entire earth perimeter from Wales, especially at an altitude of 21 miles, if the disc of the earth is the diameter the FAQ claims it to be, as it would simply not be high enough to see it properly. Draw a diagram to scale if you don't believe me. Secondly, in order to claim the curve represents the edge of the disc and not the visible portion of a spheroid, you'd need to have more than one picture taken in different directions in order to assess if the edge was further away in one direction than in another, because unless you observe from over the centre of the disc (not Wales, for the Americans out there), there will be more curve one way than another. With a single image, you can't make that claim. Additionally, there have been high altitude images of this type in which the camera spins round a full 360 degrees and a curved edge is visible in every direction with no area of darkness where the sun is not shining. Since the sun cannot illuminate the entire disc at once, that demonstrates your hypothesis to be wrong.
And finally, if the earth was flat, it would have straight edges not curved ones.

I agree with everything you said, apart from the last, bolded sentence. Why would you think this is so?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »

I agree with everything you said, apart from the last, bolded sentence. Why would you think this is so?

For the same reason that they think a flat earth would be a disc and not, say, square or triangular. There is no evidence to suggest that a disc is any more likely than any other shape IF the earth was flat. Yet strangely they always have it as a disc.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Rushy

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »

But hold on...I thought....

Yeah, now you've really lost me...

And? I said you would need to see more curvature, but that doesn't mean it would still be anything more than pseudo-curvature due to the horizon.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
Can you elaborate?

Rushy

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
Can you elaborate?

If the Earth was round you would see more pseudo-curvature than is shown in that picture. The curvature you already see is pseudo-curvature on a flat Earth. You wouldn't see any curvature, however. Thus on a round Earth you wouldn't see any real curvature from that height, but you would see more pseudo-curvature.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
But how can you possibly quantify and judge how much 'pseudo curvature' you would see?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
But how can you possibly quantify and judge how much 'pseudo curvature' you would see?

Since I see you're new here, I'll clue you in: Rushy is a troll, and won't answer your questions in a way you can fully understand, in order to prevent you skewering him with science. If pressed, he won't present a proper definition of "pseudo curvature". He will constantly dodge the main question and throw irrelevancies in to delay you. Of course many FE'ers are masters of these arts but sadly Rushy is pretty piss poor and obvious at it.

Rushy

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »

Why is that necessary?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »

Have you ever taken the time to learn flat-earth theory? I'm seriously asking this, I'm not trying to make a joke or anything. It seems that you argue to strongly against it, yet show a myriad of misunderstandings in many posts.

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:07 AM »
I think you don't understand, Pongo.  The lit area should be centered on wherever the sun happens to be, not 360 degrees surrounding the observer, unless they're right beneath the sun (which wouldn't be the case in Wales).

And perhaps address the issues brought up rather than being condescending.  That might take some effort, though.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

?

burt

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 06:08:50 AM »

For the same reason that they think a flat earth would be a disc and not, say, square or triangular. There is no evidence to suggest that a disc is any more likely than any other shape IF the earth was flat. Yet strangely they always have it as a disc.

I'm sorry, weren't you impying that if it is flat then it would have straight edges. but now you are saying that "sometimes it could be considered to have straight edges, and I say this, for the same reason flat earther's always say it is a disk (sub premise: which is also legitimate).

I think you are slightly contradicting yourself.

My opinion is that if it is flat it could be either a disk or anyother amount of shapes you care to mention.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:12:30 AM by burt »

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:48 AM »

Have you ever taken the time to learn flat-earth theory? I'm seriously asking this, I'm not trying to make a joke or anything. It seems that you argue to strongly against it, yet show a myriad of misunderstandings in many posts.

I understand FET extremely well, which is why I am able to argue against it so effectively. If you think I am in error in anything in that post, bring it to my attention and we can clarify the matter. Unless you wish to do that, I will assume that you accept I'm right in what I say.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
I think you don't understand, Pongo.  The lit area should be centered on wherever the sun happens to be, not 360 degrees surrounding the observer, unless they're right beneath the sun (which wouldn't be the case in Wales).

And perhaps address the issues brought up rather than being condescending.  That might take some effort, though.

Are you being serious? He spent the majority of the first half of his post trying to tell me I didn't know where Wales was located. Even if I was trying to be an ass, I wasn't, I would not feel unjustified in doing so. You're simply looking at this thread like you do everything else in life -- through round-tinted glasses.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »

I understand FET extremely well, which is why I am able to argue against it so effectively. If you think I am in error in anything in that post, bring it to my attention and we can clarify the matter. Unless you wish to do that, I will assume that you accept I'm right in what I say.

Okay, I have many issues with your post, but I'll address them one at a time. How do you know that your panoramic pictures, you list as proof, are high enough up to demonstrate a round earth, yet too low to prove a flat earth? What altitude is this magic RE zone located?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:34:42 AM by Pongo »

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

As if there was only this photo!

Okay, I have many issues with your post, but I'll address them one at a time. How do you know that your panoramic pictures, you list as proof are high enough up to prove a round earth, yet too low to prove a flat earth? What altitude is this magic RE zone located?

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »

Are you being serious? He spent the majority of the first half of his post trying to tell me I didn't know where Wales was located. Even if I was trying to be an ass, I wasn't, I would not feel unjustified in doing so. You're simply looking at this thread like you do everything else in life -- through round-tinted glasses.

I am quite confident that if you selected 100 random Americans and asked them to point to Wales on an unmarked map of the world, no more than about 25% would get it right. There's a very funny video on Youtube of Americans being asked where places in the world are and getting it frighteningly wrong. Even more probably think Wales is part of England. I've personally had Americans identify the location of the UK as "near Hawaii" to me. Americans are notorious in the rest of the English speaking world for not knowing anything about the world beyond the borders with Canada and Mexico.
If you want to say I'm wrong about this, you can, but my experiences in America bear out the stereotype the rest of the world has of it being ignorant of world geography. I know for a fact that virtually nothing is taught about the rest of the world in American schools.

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
I am quite confident that if you selected 100 random Americans and asked them to point to Wales on an unmarked map of the world, no more than about 25% would get it right. There's a very funny video on Youtube of Americans being asked where places in the world are and getting it frighteningly wrong. Even more probably think Wales is part of England. I've personally had Americans identify the location of the UK as "near Hawaii" to me. Americans are notorious in the rest of the English speaking world for not knowing anything about the world beyond the borders with Canada and Mexico.
If you want to say I'm wrong about this, you can, but my experiences in America bear out the stereotype the rest of the world has of it being ignorant of world geography. I know for a fact that virtually nothing is taught about the rest of the world in American schools.

I'm no great patriot or anything, but posts like this bother me.  Yes, we have ingorant people in the US.  There are ignorant people in the UK and Europe, too.  In fact, I'd say you'd have to be pretty ignorant to believe that a country as large and diverse as the U.S. can be summed up in idiotic little "they sure are dumb" factoids like the ones you bring up. 

I'm not sure why people feel the need to shit on entire countries that they know so little about.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.