ISS proved to be what it's claimed to be, i.e a Satellite.

• 185 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: ISS proved to be what it's claimed to be, i.e a Satellite.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
Well there is no reason one set of the solar panel branches should appear larger than a commercial jet in my telescope. Especially at the supposed distance above earth.

Why not?  First of all, how do you know that it's just one set of solar panels that you're seeing? Also, the solar panels on the ISS are much more reflective than a commercial jet (especially at night).
Since when is brighter=bigger  ???

I don't know.  Perhaps about the time that larger reflectors became able to reflect more light than smaller reflectors.  Now would you care to answer my questions to you?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
2mm with moon grade dif. filter.

I'll answer your question Markjo once you realize you are wrong.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
Celestron 6 inch Newt. reflector, sky align tracking version 4.2

And the magnification, as requested?

I'm also curious how you were able to get the telescope to track the ISS across the sky accurately, since from the information I can find the Sky Align tracking system has sidereal, lunar and solar tracking speeds but not one for the variable speed of the ISS. Especially since whatever magnification you were using, it would have to be pretty powerful to pick out details on the ISS. So hardly any margin for error in tracking.
I have to do a manual input, which sucks using skyalign because it isn't really made for it, so I can get a little bit of viewing time before it goes outside of my FOV
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Celestron 6 inch Newt. reflector, sky align tracking version 4.2

And the magnification, as requested?

I'm also curious how you were able to get the telescope to track the ISS across the sky accurately, since from the information I can find the Sky Align tracking system has sidereal, lunar and solar tracking speeds but not one for the variable speed of the ISS. Especially since whatever magnification you were using, it would have to be pretty powerful to pick out details on the ISS. So hardly any margin for error in tracking.
I have to do a manual input, which sucks using skyalign because it isn't really made for it, so I can get a little bit of viewing time before it goes outside of my FOV

Yes, I'd imagine you can probably manage a whole one or two seconds with it visible.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

?

yagerasrehtreatalf

• I like Spheres
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »
The ISS as seen from earth. http://www.perseus.gr/Images/sat-iss-20100529-labels.jpg (Note: the picture shows the ISS twice(once earlier in the morning(9am) and then moments later in the morning.) The other object in the frame is Jupiter)

An Airplane as seen from earth. http://jamesmarse.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/buna-035.jpg

Now is obvious the ISS looks nothing like a jetliner.

Rushy

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »
The ISS as seen from earth. http://www.perseus.gr/Images/sat-iss-20100529-labels.jpg (Note: the picture shows the ISS twice(once earlier in the morning(9am) and then moments later in the morning.) The other object in the frame is Jupiter)

Do not click this link. It attempts a javascript intrusion on your computer.

An Airplane as seen from earth. http://jamesmarse.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/buna-035.jpg

Because airplanes don't come in various shapes and sizes?

?

yagerasrehtreatalf

• I like Spheres
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

Do not click this link. It attempts a javascript intrusion on your computer.

Because airplanes don't come in various shapes and sizes?

Hmmm. trying to hide the evidence by lying about a picture found from Google trying to run a java-script. God you flatearthers a pathetic.

Also http://static5.depositphotos.com/1017265/521/i/450/dep_5212670-Airplanes-in-the-sky.jpg   
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/d7-JAI1vc5o/0.jpg
http://www.daviddarling.info/images/ISS_747_comparison.gif

Rushy

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Hmmm. trying to hide the evidence by lying about a picture found from Google trying to run a java-script. God you flatearthers a pathetic.

I've already reported you for posting a link to a malicious site. I can show the antivirus and Firefox NoScript warning to mods if needed. Getting angry about a debate is one thing, trying to disrupt someone else's property and then continuing to do so is simply crossing the line. Please take your script kiddie shenanigans elsewhere.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
2mm with moon grade dif. filter.

I'll answer your question Markjo once you realize you are wrong.

What am I wrong about?  ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

tunu

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »

I've already reported you for posting a link to a malicious site. I can show the antivirus and Firefox NoScript warning to mods if needed. Getting angry about a debate is one thing, trying to disrupt someone else's property and then continuing to do so is simply crossing the line. Please take your script kiddie shenanigans elsewhere.

you are, hands down, the worst internet troll I've ever come across.  Your trolling is bad and you should feel bad.

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »

you are, hands down, the worst internet troll I've ever come across.  Your trolling is bad and you should feel bad.

......and he completely avoided my question about the space shuttle.

?

dado

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »

Your firefox is broken.
I just opened the pic with newest Chrome and Firefox, no such reports...
And it's a mighty fine pic of the ISS.
Case closed.

Rushy

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
Your firefox is broken.
I just opened the pic with newest Chrome and Firefox, no such reports...
And it's a mighty fine pic of the ISS.
Case closed.

You must not have NoScript for Firefox. You should get it, seeing as how it got you this:

I wasn't joking. Run an antivirus scan.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/attacksignatures/detail.jsp?asid=24594

tunu

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
seriously you guys, everyone knows that any website that ends in .jpg is full of java script and the best way to spread viruses.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
I have twice attempted to view the ISS on days NASA has announced it would be overhead. Neither time did I see anything. I did once see a streak of light that NASA purported to be the space shuttle.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
I have twice attempted to view the ISS on days NASA has announced it would be overhead. Neither time did I see anything. I did once see a streak of light that NASA purported to be the space shuttle.

Does it prove something?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:20 AM »
It only means something in relation to the point the OP was attempting to make, but I'm sure you haven't read any of the posts in the thread, because this is your modus operandi today.  Stop with your low-content, argumentative posting.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 02:24:10 AM »
It only means something in relation to the point the OP was attempting to make, but I'm sure you haven't read any of the posts in the thread, because this is your modus operandi today.  Stop with your low-content, argumentative posting.

Is asking a question low-content posting?
Is accusing me of low-co,tent posting a way of not answering the question?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

dado

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Sell your telescope, raise funds from your fellow FEs and do the high jump like explained in this topic http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,55482.0.html#.UCz3sKnia2Y
. Touchdown, and proclaim FE is bullcrap...

Rushy

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:23 AM »
Sell your telescope, raise funds from your fellow FEs and do the high jump like explained in this topic http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,55482.0.html#.UCz3sKnia2Y

Even if the Earth was round, that device would not take you high enough to see any curvature. Please learn your own theory before trying to dump your inane thoughts on ours.

?

dado

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »

Even if the Earth was round, that device would not take you high enough to see any curvature. Please learn your own theory before trying to dump your inane thoughts on ours.
Of course it would, read all highjumpers' testimonials.

Rushy

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
Of course it would, read all highjumpers' testimonials.

Please learn your own theory before trying to dump your inane thoughts on ours.

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
Reading this thread it occured to me that the shape in the sky we refer to as the ISS vaguely resembles what could be an airborne orgy of mating albatross if you squint your eyes and use your imagination. 

Just trying to contribute and bring the discussion back on track.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »

Funny, all the rest of us manage to view it perfectly well. Even Ichi. The trick is to do it when there are no clouds, that's probably where you're going wrong.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
It's not terribly cloudy where I live. I'm not so foolish to think I could see something behind the cloud bank. I'm simply saying I've never managed to see it at an announced passing. I don't care what conclusions you deduce from that. Ichi also said he failed to sight it on occasion.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
It's not terribly cloudy where I live. I'm not so foolish to think I could see something behind the cloud bank. I'm simply saying I've never managed to see it at an announced passing. I don't care what conclusions you deduce from that. Ichi also said he failed to sight it on occasion.

Ichi also said that he'd made detailed observations of it using the equipment he mentioned, but went very quiet very quickly when he realised that I understand telescope magnification and guidance very well indeed and had spotted he was talking out of his arse. So sorry "Ichi agrees with me" doesn't increase your believability one iota.
Since we know you deny the existence of refraction in air, and therefore we can conclude your grasp of science is poor, we can reasonably assume that your failure to observe the ISS is more likely to be from looking in the wrong direction than the ISS not being there. There is more than one conclusion that can be drawn from you failing to see the ISS, and it not being where it should is, unfortunately, way down the list

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

Ichi also said that he'd made detailed observations of it using the equipment he mentioned, but went very quiet very quickly when he realised that I understand telescope magnification and guidance very well indeed and had spotted he was talking out of his arse. So sorry "Ichi agrees with me" doesn't increase your believability one iota.
Since we know you deny the existence of refraction in air, and therefore we can conclude your grasp of science is poor, we can reasonably assume that your failure to observe the ISS is more likely to be from looking in the wrong direction than the ISS not being there. There is more than one conclusion that can be drawn from you failing to see the ISS, and it not being where it should is, unfortunately, way down the list
Oh really? What about the specs goes against my observations? I gave you everything yet all you did was admit I could view it.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

Oh really? What about the specs goes against my observations? I gave you everything yet all you did was admit I could view it.

See the word in red. You claimed you had seen it in good detail and drawn conclusions about its appearance. I said that you could have seen it for a couple of seconds at most, if you were lucky. I'm not going to deny that you could have seen it with your equipment, because you could. However, making an observation detailed enough to make the statements you did regarding its appearance would frankly have been impossible. Just as I can hand hold a telescope to look at Jupiter with 300x magnification, yes I CAN see it if I'm careful but I could not make accurate conclusions about the appearance of the planet's clouds etc.
Personally I don't believe you saw it with your telescope at all, but I'm not going to deny that it's possible, because it is - just about. But not to make the conclusions you made.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
LOL comparing deatils on Jupiter to being able to see the ISS..for shame TK.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
"You could have seen it for a couple of seconds at most"
-[response picked from a pile of crumpled papers in a tophot]