Samuel Birley Rowbotham is bad at experiments

• 34 Replies
Re: Samuel Birley Rowbotham is bad at experiments
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
No, that isn't why the atmosphere gets thinner with altitude.  It's because, believe it or not, air has mass and, as we all know, things with mass are affected by gravity (or universal acceleration).  Think of the atmosphere as a swimming pool full of water.  In the same way that all of the water at the top of the pool presses down on the water at the bottom of the pool, all of the air at the top of the atmosphere presses down on the bottom of the atmosphere.  The primary difference being that air compresses a lot more than water does.  This means that the air at sea level is compressed under all of the weight of the atmosphere above it.

No, that's not it either.  Again, think of air as a fluid.  The more dense it is, the more it wants to sink.  This means that dense air will sink towards sea level and less dense air will rise towards the top of the dome.

No, they're different scenarios because water pressure is different than air pressure.  Water is heavier than air, so water becomes more dense as you sink into it.  Air does not do this because air is not heavier than air.  It stays (relatively) distributed, and becomes less dense with altitude because there is more sky for the same number of molecules to cover.

http://education.arm.gov/studyhall/ask/past_question.php?id=700

Oh, wait... that source is a "dot gov..." and they're a part of the conspiracy.
...does anyone find it funny that the Flat Earth model is actually round?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »
No, they're different scenarios because water pressure is different than air pressure.  Water is heavier than air, so water becomes more dense as you sink into it.  Air does not do this because air is not heavier than air.  It stays (relatively) distributed, and becomes less dense with altitude because there is more sky for the same number of molecules to cover.

http://education.arm.gov/studyhall/ask/past_question.php?id=700

Oh, wait... that source is a "dot gov..." and they're a part of the conspiracy.

Warm air is less dense than cool air.  Humid air is more dense than dry air.  With the atmosphere, we aren't talking about cubic feet of air, we're talking about cubic miles of air.  With that large of a scale, subtle differences can have significant effects.

Also, from your link: "Water pressure, like air pressure, is a function of weight; the deeper one goes the greater the surrounding water pressure."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:00:34 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
Warm air is less dense than cool air.  Humid air is more dense than dry air.  With the atmosphere, we aren't talking about cubic feet of air, we're talking about cubic miles of air.  With that large of a scale, subtle differences can have significant effects.

Also, from your link: "Water pressure, like air pressure, is a function of weight; the deeper one goes the greater the surrounding water pressure."

I'm not stupid.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7815868_air-thinner-altitude-rises.html

Humidity is more prevelant at lower levels because the moisture in the air is heavier than the air itself.  It isn't because "humid air" is heavier.
...does anyone find it funny that the Flat Earth model is actually round?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
Earth's gravity acts on the molecules of gas in the atmosphere. This means they have weight. The upper parts of the atmosphere press down on the air below.

How are your sources disagreeing with what I've been saying?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
As you get higher, the atmosphere becomes more thin because the higher you go, the less gravity there is.  This wouldn't happen if the earth was a flat disc on top of a "universal accelerator." 

I'm a bit tired right now, but I don't think this is right.  The atmosphere gets thinner when you go higher because there's less pressure, due to there being less atmosphere on top of it.  Gravity decreasing probably plays a small role but I don't think it's the main cause.

An earth with UA would still have an atmoplane that would get thinner with altitude.

Yeah, you're right.  As you go higher (on a Round Earth), there is more space (or atmosphere) to cover, so the molecules themselves become more spread out.

It seems to me that, if the earth was flat, this wouldn't happen.  Especially if it were enclosed in a dome... it seems the atmosphere would get THICKER as altitude rises because a dome would cause more density.

I like your avatar but I think you don't understand how fluids work.