Earth appears curved from Mt Everest

• 28 Replies
?

Art

Earth appears curved from Mt Everest
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
I love this one from Tom Bishop:

The earth is not even curved from the top of Mt. Everest: http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/full22.html
Who apparently did not bother to read the photographer's comments posted right below the panorama:

It seemed to me that the curvature of the earth was apparent, and I spent some time trying to think of a means to test if this was a real observation or an illusion. In the end I decided it was an illusion, but it was a strong illusion. Overall my main feeling was of surprise. I am often surprised by the situations that I find myself in.

So he thinks it's an illusion, but obviously sees something you don't see in the photograph.
He observes that the Earth is curved.
:D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:07:05 PM by Art »
RET:0 - FET:0

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Earth appears curved from Mt Everest
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
So then, the photographer agrees that the earth is flat. Thanks for posting!

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
So then, the photographer agrees that the earth is flat. Thanks for posting!

I am going to have to agree with Tim on this one.  This does not help RE, its a FE victory.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
This is the same reason people think that they can see curvature from a plane.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
How is one supposed to detect curvature in a 360 degree panorama?  ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »

My thoughts exactly. How exactly does one detect that? I mean, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure panoramas are doctored quite a bit to fit together properly.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

?

Art

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
I was careful to point out in the OP that the photographer concluded it was an illusion,
however the fact remains, from someone who's been there, the Earth appears curved from that height.
It has been mentioned several times that the most compelling reason (for some members here) for the belief in FE theory
is through simple observation.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »

My thoughts exactly. How exactly does one detect that? I mean, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure panoramas are doctored quite a bit to fit together properly.

Not necessarily.  Specialty panoramic cameras can capture 360 degrees in a single shot.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
I was careful to point out in the OP that the photographer concluded it was an illusion,
however the fact remains, from someone who's been there, the Earth appears curved from that height.
It has been mentioned several times that the most compelling reason (for some members here) for the belief in FE theory
is through simple observation.

But he knows its obviously an illusion.  It is widely accepted even in a passenger plane at 32,000 feet curvature should not be visible.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
That picture looks very flat to me. If the earth was really curved, than I would assume that if you were looking level from the top of a mountain, you wouldn't see anything but sky. This is an obvious proof of flatness.
Der Sun do move and the Earth am Square.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
Pyriew, the Earth is very large. It would be difficult to accurately determine a shape by simply standing on top of a mountain.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Pyriew, the Earth is very large. It would be difficult to accurately determine a shape by simply standing on top of a mountain.

Do you have proof of anything you just claimed?

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
Are you going to tell me it's not very large? I'm pretty sure everyone here can agree that the earth is very large. I don't think that needs to be proved.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
You need to prove that its large enough, though. I think the empire state building is large, but that doesn't mean much, does it?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
You need to prove that its large enough, though.

Large enough for what? 

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »

Large enough for what?

Large enough for the claim posted above to be true.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I have been asked to prove a lot of strange things. That one takes the cake. Why the hell should I prove that to you? This website right here is proof enough. As one of the FES would say, lurk moar. The constant debates based on perspective and horizon curvature and orbital pictures, and light refraction, and ships disappearing below the horizon are a testament to how large the Earth is.

You can also go get on an intercontinental flight. The plane travels roughly 3-400 mph (480-640 km/ph). Tell me how long it takes.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
I have been asked to prove a lot of strange things. That one takes the cake. Why the hell should I prove that to you? This website right here is proof enough. As one of the FES would say, lurk moar. The constant debates based on perspective and horizon curvature and orbital pictures, and light refraction, and ships disappearing below the horizon are a testament to how large the Earth is.

You can also go get on an intercontinental flight. The plane travels roughly 3-400 mph (480-640 km/ph). Tell me how long it takes.

You are clearly misunderstanding the point at hand. I am asking you to prove that the earth's size could actually create this optical illusion you seem to claim exists.

The Ice Wall Ninja

• It is COLD out here!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
That photo is doctored.  Anything that even slightly shows the Earth as curved is obviously released by the government to keep people in line with their tyrannical agenda.
You'll never get past me, Round-Earthers!!!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »

Large enough for what?

Large enough for the claim posted above to be true.

Being deliberately vague adds nothing to the discussion.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
IceWallNinja FTW!!  And come on, OP.  If you stood over a drawn circle and stitched photos of it together horizontally... what would you think would happen?
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

?

Art

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
IceWallNinja FTW!!  And come on, OP.  If you stood over a drawn circle and stitched photos of it together horizontally... what would you think would happen?
Not sure I understand... The photographer wasn't describing the photo, but his observation when he was at the summit.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
I just think this thread was a silly idea. 

?

burt

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Isn't the horizon flat anyway? maybe I am missing something but logically the horizon doesn't curve down along its length, or it would not create a circle around the observer, the earth curves away at every point, the horizon curves around, so the horizon remains straight on the x axis but bends on the Z axis. I have seen pictures on FES forums, with a rule up to the horizon, showing it to be flat...well, it is, along the x axis.
Does this make sense, or have I missed something?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:51:44 PM by burt »

?

Art

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 12:11:43 AM »
It has been mentioned in other threads that (some member's) primary reason for accepting the Earth is a flat disc
is through observation.
A photographer at the summit of Mt Everest has a better perspective than you or I looking out of a window.
Unlike the view from aircraft, at least the observer is stationery, and able to look in any direction.

Rushy

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
The photographer knows that it is an illusion and the entire circumference around him is flat.  A round world is nothing but an illusion. Observation will always show the world to be flat, even this photographer knows that.

?

BoatswainsMate

• You just been Tom Bishop'ed
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
Maybe the Earth appearing flat is the illusion?

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
I was googling and found an interesting discussion.  Here is a quote:

"This is a subject for some debate.

The true curvature of the earth would be the actual edge of the disk, a great circle of exactly the same diameter as the earth. What you can see from any airplane altitude is a horizon circling you at a few hundred miles away. A small circle.

From 35,000' the horizon is about 230 nautical miles away. So 230nm is the radius of a small circle of the earth's surface that you can see. To see the actual curvature, which is vastly greater than this circle you would have to be able to see the entire earth.

Actual earth-disk circumference is 21,600 nautical miles.
Earth's surface disk visible from FL350 is about 1446 nautical miles.

To claim you can see "the curvature of the earth" from low altitude, like a hundred thousand feet or so, is like putting your eye a couple of thousandths of an inch from a large beachball and believing that you can see its curvature. The math is about the same.

What looks curved is that the horizon is about 230nm away at your twelve o'clock but it is also 230 nm away at your eleven, and your one, and your ten, and your two, and your nine, and your three, and so on. If you can see all the way around (as in, from the basket of a balloon) the effect sort of goes away and you again get the sense that you are just hanging above a big (possibly curved) surface. The line of the horizon curves all the way around you, so hanging above a circle it will look curved.

Again, to see the true curvature, you'd have to be able to see the entire near side of the earth."

The Ice Wall Ninja

• It is COLD out here!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Maybe the Earth appearing flat is the illusion?

Wrong.  He says the slight curvature is the illusion.  Score one for the FE'ers!  BAM!!!
You'll never get past me, Round-Earthers!!!