Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies
?

Thork

Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Chester is near Liverpool, and it's an old Roman town so there's probably some sort of historical shit there.
Hollyoaks is filmed in Chester.
http://www.e4.com/hollyoaks/index.html

I'm going to rest my case.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
I HEARD IT IS NICE

So there

?

Thork

« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
I lived there. In a house that had bars on the windows. Followed by another house with bars on the windows. In fact every house in liverpool has bars on the windows. Heaven help you if you have a house fire.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Live in Bradford.

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
The only person I know who's visited Liverpool recently got mugged there.

?

Thork

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Live in Bradford.
I can't, I'm white. :(

Almost every student I knew got mugged at some point. I had a guy threaten to stab me with a screwdriver on my way home from the corner shop and one night a big bald guy grabbed me and told me he'd rape me. Luckily I made out like I was going to cooperate and then as soon as he loosened his grip I legged it, leaving the horny rapist nursing a semi in a damp alleyway in Toxteth. Fuck I hate Liverpool.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
Ok maybe not Liverpool.

rooster

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
Live in Bradford.
I can't, I'm white. :(

Almost every student I knew got mugged at some point. I had a guy threaten to stab me with a screwdriver on my way home from the corner shop and one night a big bald guy grabbed me and told me he'd rape me. Luckily I made out like I was going to cooperate and then as soon as he loosened his grip I legged it, leaving the horny rapist nursing a semi in a damp alleyway in Toxteth. Fuck I hate Liverpool.
LOL.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2012, 04:42:06 AM »
Although this:

Toxteth.

is your problem. Who the fuck lives in Toxteth?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
one night a big bald guy grabbed me and told me he'd rape me.

Big Mike?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
London is big and scary.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
America is terrible.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #223 on: December 27, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
America is terrible.

The Lowlands suck.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
EUROPE YEAH

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
A couple honest questions for Brits.  Sorry to change the subject, but it's still on topic almost.

I am not poking fun but really want to know.

1)  I've heard many Brits say that most of the Americans they encountered were rednecks, YET the telly show "Keeping Up Appearances" has the character Onslow, so you guys have them too, do you not?

2) One character on the show said, "I just painted me nails" instead of saying "my" nails.  Is that for lower class people like rednecks or those with cockney accents?

3) On the the same show there was a small refrigerator or maybe frig/freezer that Brits probably call an icebox.  Box is right, it's small, for that is the size Americans would have behind a bar in their house. (if they had one in their house)  Our frigerators are 68 inches tall approx, which is more than 5 1/2 feet.  Do you not grocery shop for a week at a time?  (We do in US, sometimes there are some things we buy only every 2 weeks or once a month, but weekly is somewhat the standard.)  Do you only buy food for one day at a time?  Our frig is taller than the average height of most women and the height of most average men.  (I said average).
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

?

Thork

« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
1) We have poor, stupid people, yes.
2) Yes. Its actually more Estuary English. The estuary being the river Thames.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English
^ Enjoy. That's how many English people really speak.
3) We can buy 'American' refrigerators but most of us don't. This is because we don't eat as much food as Americans and so don't need to store as much.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
1) We have poor, stupid people, yes.
2) Yes. Its actually more Estuary English. The estuary being the river Thames.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English
^ Enjoy. That's how many English people really speak.
3) We can buy 'American' refrigerators but most of us don't. This is because we don't eat as much food as Americans and so don't need to store as much.
This is because you Brits don't have enough money.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
3) On the the same show there was a small refrigerator or maybe frig/freezer that Brits probably call an icebox.  Box is right, it's small, for that is the size Americans would have behind a bar in their house. (if they had one in their house)  Our frigerators are 68 inches tall approx, which is more than 5 1/2 feet.  Do you not grocery shop for a week at a time?  (We do in US, sometimes there are some things we buy only every 2 weeks or once a month, but weekly is somewhat the standard.)  Do you only buy food for one day at a time?  Our frig is taller than the average height of most women and the height of most average men.  (I said average).

Thanks for responding Thork and yes I agree Americans each too much and that's because they (we) are a) spoiled brats and because we b) like things big like our SUV's and we c) waste alot of energy.  We also have an obesity problem in this country, which Jaime Oliver originally of the U.K. is trying help with in our schools with his "food revolution".

Aside from that though, still it is really hard to fix a big meal with such a tiny frig.  Even if you did not have anyone over to entertain but instead just cooked for an average family of 4 it's nearly impossible.  Let's say you have a roast, some stuffing you want to make, a vegetable and maybe a salad.  You need more than one item to make the stuffing and more than one item to make a salad plus the salad dressing.  The dressing(s) may be more than one because not everyone in the family has the same taste.  Then of course you have different palattes for different drinks.  How can you stuff all of that in a tony box-like frig you people have?  My gosh, - IF YOU could store all that - -  you wouldn't be able to store anything else for the week.  That makes for multiples trips to the store.  So while we eat alot, you guys use alot of gas going to the store every day.  And that too is wasteful.  Now I know we discussed that Americans eat alot more than Britons, however when I said prepare a BIG meal, I just mean it's not soup from a can.  No one says you have to eat the entire meal at one sitting IF you were to cook a big meal.  You could have leftovers the next night, or even freeze some for another day next week, but even your freezer is small, so you wouldn't be able to do that either.  Even IF we ate more moderately and didn't go back for 2nds and 3rds at mealtime, then like I said we could save some for another day.  And gosh knows it really would be hard IF YOU were to decide to entertain several guests.  My gosh how do you LIVE with little box frigs?
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Maybe that is why they drink warm beer.

« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »

Thanks for responding Thork and yes I agree Americans each too much and that's because they (we) are a) spoiled brats and because we b) like things big like our SUV's and we c) waste alot of energy.  We also have an obesity problem in this country, which Jaime Oliver originally of the U.K. is trying help with in our schools with his "food revolution".

Aside from that though, still it is really hard to fix a big meal with such a tiny frig.  Even if you did not have anyone over to entertain but instead just cooked for an average family of 4 it's nearly impossible.  Let's say you have a roast, some stuffing you want to make, a vegetable and maybe a salad.  You need more than one item to make the stuffing and more than one item to make a salad plus the salad dressing.  The dressing(s) may be more than one because not everyone in the family has the same taste.  Then of course you have different palattes for different drinks.  How can you stuff all of that in a tony box-like frig you people have?  My gosh, - IF YOU could store all that - -  you wouldn't be able to store anything else for the week.  That makes for multiples trips to the store.  So while we eat alot, you guys use alot of gas going to the store every day.  And that too is wasteful.  Now I know we discussed that Americans eat alot more than Britons, however when I said prepare a BIG meal, I just mean it's not soup from a can.  No one says you have to eat the entire meal at one sitting IF you were to cook a big meal.  You could have leftovers the next night, or even freeze some for another day next week, but even your freezer is small, so you wouldn't be able to do that either.  Even IF we ate more moderately and didn't go back for 2nds and 3rds at mealtime, then like I said we could save some for another day.  And gosh knows it really would be hard IF YOU were to decide to entertain several guests.  My gosh how do you LIVE with little box frigs?

Most of my food doesn't need to be put in the fridge or freezer.

It's either fresh or I make it myself from the raw ingredients (again most of which don't need to be put in the fridge like flour and butter)

All I have in my fridge atm is cheese, milk, veg (that needs the fridge), beer, sauces and some left overs. I don't need anymore fridge space.

The size of the fridge is also related to the size of the place it can be put in. From what I've seen most Americans have more space in their home than the average brit which means they can have a bigger fridge.

?

Thork

« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2012, 04:06:50 AM »
(again most of which don't need to be put in the fridge like flour and butter)
??? You don't put butter in the fridge? Where do you live? Northern Canada?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2012, 05:12:53 AM »

Not warm, just not ice cold, because we like to have beers that actually taste nice. Cooling beer deadens the taste, although to be honest, if I had to drink American beer all the time I'd like to deaden the taste too.

« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
(again most of which don't need to be put in the fridge like flour and butter)
??? You don't put butter in the fridge? Where do you live? Northern Canada?

No I put it in a butter dish. If you leave it in the fridge it's too hard to spread.

I wouldn't leave margarine out the fridge but butter is perfectly fine.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »

Not warm, just not ice cold, because we like to have beers that actually taste nice. Cooling beer deadens the taste, although to be honest, if I had to drink American beer all the time I'd like to deaden the taste too.

Implying you can't get anything but american beers in the US.  Not to mention that our microbreweries are often quite good.

We drink everything near ice cold, with the exception of the few drinks served neat.  I have not found that beers lack flavor when chilled, and I think the hugely refreshing nature that they gain from being chilled is worth the mild reduction in flavor.   I have been desperate and had a pretty much room temperature beer before, and it was not the flavor that made it not as good, but the simple fact that it was no longer refreshing.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

It's either fresh or I make it myself from the raw ingredients (again most of which don't need to be put in the fridge like flour and butter)

All I have in my fridge atm is cheese, milk, veg (that needs the fridge), beer, sauces and some left overs. I don't need anymore fridge space.

The size of the fridge is also related to the size of the place it can be put in. From what I've seen most Americans have more space in their home than the average brit which means they can have a bigger fridge.

Ok I get the "it's fresh" part, but you must shop everyday then in order for everything to be THAT fresh.  I buy meats and freeze them, so they don't spoil because I may not get around to cooking them for 10 days later.  Ok they are fresh in the sense that they are bought and then frozen right away, BUT NOT as fresh as cut from the butcher and cooked that day.  I don't know how you brits can shop everyday - - you must spend 30% of your life in the grocery store or market.

« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »

Ok I get the "it's fresh" part, but you must shop everyday then in order for everything to be THAT fresh.  I buy meats and freeze them, so they don't spoil because I may not get around to cooking them for 10 days later.  Ok they are fresh in the sense that they are bought and then frozen right away, BUT NOT as fresh as cut from the butcher and cooked that day.  I don't know how you brits can shop everyday - - you must spend 30% of your life in the grocery store or market.

I shop weekly sometimes fortnightly. So in my case... you're wrong.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
So... what do you do with meat? Or do you not eat it?

« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

I'm a vegi, don't eat it.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »

I'm a vegi, don't eat it.

Ah, that explains it.