Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2012, 05:23:42 AM »
I like the music to God Save the Queen, perhaps just some reworked lyrics?
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Thork

« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »
I like the music to God Save the Queen, perhaps just some reworked lyrics?
I'm sure you are aware the music is called 'America'. I see what you are doing, but it won't work.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2012, 06:58:02 AM »
Ahem.

Hey, you know what should be the national anthem? Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1. Not only is it uplifting, not only is it a fine piece of craftsmanship from this country's most iconic composer, but it is quintessentially English and you can dance to it and you don't have to sing. What more could you ask for?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:09 AM »
Hey Rooster.  I just went to England again.  It still isn't better than 'Merica!

Although I sure do love their beers and all the other beers from the other countries that you can get there that you cant get back in the states.

BTW do we have Germans on here?  Like that actually live in Germany I have some questions about my recent visit.

?

Thork

« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »
I love visiting Germany. Germany is awesome and German's are unsettlingly nice. They are probably up to something.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »
I only visited Germany briefly. As in I walked over the border and back again. I would like to visit there though, Germans are fun.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »
I went to Germany (Munich) a few months back and loved it.

I'd highly recommend Germany as well.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
I love Germany.

rooster

« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
You guys are making me way too jelly. I'm in love with Germany.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
Belgium is also incredibly sexy. But assuming you are an ignorant monolingual Yank, stick to England.

« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
Not a big fan of Belgium, although I have only been to Brussels so I could be looking at it from a Bias point of view.

I'm also going to Germany at the end of September for the Oktoberfest, it's gonna be fun.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »
Not a big fan of Belgium, although I have only been to Brussels so I could be looking at it from a Bias point of view.

Yeah, Brussels seriously sucks ass. Antwerpen or Gent are thousands of times better.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
I love visiting Germany. Germany is awesome and German's are unsettlingly nice. They are probably up to something.
The Germans are ALWAYS up to something.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

rooster

« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
Belgium is also incredibly sexy. But assuming you are an ignorant monolingual Yank, stick to England.
Hold on now, I've taken 2 years of German, it's pretty basic but I would be able to get by. And anyhow, I know that the majority of Germans speak English. You can keep Belgium though, I don't care about that one.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
And anyhow, I know that the majority of Germans speak English. You can keep Belgium though, I don't care about that one.

a) Plenty don't.
b) Pretty hard to integrate into a country you can't speak the language of.

You're not American by any chance are you?

rooster

« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
And anyhow, I know that the majority of Germans speak English. You can keep Belgium though, I don't care about that one.

a) Plenty don't.

I have a friend who lives just fine over in German at the moment with very little understanding of the language. My advisor lived in Germany for a few years and to learn the language she had to move to an urban locale just so people would stop speaking English to her. And as I already mentioned I've taken 2 years of it, with that foundation and being surrounded by German I'm sure I'd pick it up quickly. The best way to learn a language is to integrate yourself after all.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
It's all about context.
No German has ever switched to English with me, and during my recent hitchhike through Europe I couldn't count the amount of times I needed to translate for people who had no German.

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »

a) Plenty don't.

I have a friend who lives just fine over in German at the moment with very little understanding of the language. My advisor lived in Germany for a few years and to learn the language she had to move to an urban locale just so people would stop speaking English to her. And as I already mentioned I've taken 2 years of it, with that foundation and being surrounded by German I'm sure I'd pick it up quickly. The best way to learn a language is to integrate yourself after all.

Compared to other countries in Europe I'd say the Germans are one of the worst for speaking English.

That's not to say they aren't pretty fluent. It's also highly dependent on where you go. East Germany aren't as fluent in English as West Germany.

But when I travel I try to avoid the use of English (if I can) and speak the native language. I just think it shows a mark of respect.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:53:24 PM by DDDDAts all folks »

rooster

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
It's all about context.
No German has ever switched to English with me, and during my recent hitchhike through Europe I couldn't count the amount of times I needed to translate for people who had no German.
Good, I would want to actually learn it as quickly as possible. But again, I'm not someone who has no German. If they talk to me like I'm 6 years old then I'd be fine. And until I actually know the language well enough I would stick to the bigger cities of course. I'm not a crazy hitchhiking teenager or anything...

EnigmaZV

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »

Perhaps they're trying to make up for trying to take over the world.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
They've been too quiet for too long...
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

rooster

« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Alright Brits, tell me about Liverpool and the surrounding area.

The company A&A works for has a branch there and I see there's a World Museum which looks great for me. Anyone been to that?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
They have a soccer team.

« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:27 AM »
Liverpool doesn't have a good reputation, but I've never been there. Personally I wouldn't want to live there myself. It's near the peak district tho.

rooster

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
Liverpool doesn't have a good reputation, but I've never been there. Personally I wouldn't want to live there myself. It's near the peak district tho.
What kind of reputation does it have?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2012, 01:24:28 AM »
According to a friend who visited there once, its full of gays but she didn't clarify whether that was a good thing or a bad thing to her.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:51 AM »
Liverpool has a tradition of sucking but according to everyone I know who's lived or visited there, it's totally different now and is actually awesome.

« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »

This is the reason why

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Harry Enfield - The Scousers Visit The Beach

Scousas are Liverpudlians.

My opinion's based on reputation only so it might still be a good place to live.

?

Thork

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »
I lived there for 5 years. Its an absolute dump. Also Scousers think they are funny, but they actually come across as aggressive and sinister. Its an area of high crime, relative poverty and an indecipherable accent. Best avoided.

*It won European City of Culture in 2008. That means it was singled out for regeneration and a boost for income because it was such a hole. Biggest poo-hole in Europe in 2008.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Capital_of_Culture
Consequently, the beneficial socio-economic development and impact for the chosen city are now also considered in determining the chosen cities.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:25:24 PM by Thork »

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Chester is near Liverpool, and it's an old Roman town so there's probably some sort of historical shit there.