Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
I will give you just one piece of advice: stay off the moors.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

rooster

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Stick to the road?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
If you go to London say hi to Daniel for me
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »
Where in England are you going?

Apart form Scotland, Wales has some nice bits you should also have a trip to Ireland. Try to avoid the Midlands there are some nice bits but it's not as good as the North or South.

The natural history museum is one of the best in the world so i'd definitely go to that at some point.

And you should also go to a proper (not commercial rubbish) English pub.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
das racis, dawg
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2012, 02:48:26 AM »

Apart form Scotland, Wales has some nice bits you should also have a trip to Ireland. Try to avoid the Midlands there are some nice bits but it's not as good as the North or South.

The natural history museum is one of the best in the world so i'd definitely go to that at some point.

Afraid of yam yams?
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »

Afraid of yam yams?

I'm from a part of Leicester that's close to yam yam land. It's one of the worse accents in the whole of the UK. It's a mixture between Welsh, Scottish and geordie.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »
Everyone is basically just bigging up where they're from and slamming everywhere else. Hands off the Midlands!

I don't really know what you'd call it, little bits might fit a particular genre but on the whole it's too varied to categorise.

I mean in terms of the Sheffield music scene. I used to dabble in various folk bits.

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:54 AM »
Everyone is basically just bigging up where they're from and slamming everywhere else. Hands off the Midlands!

I don't really know what you'd call it, little bits might fit a particular genre but on the whole it's too varied to categorise.

I mean in terms of the Sheffield music scene. I used to dabble in various folk bits.

I'm from the midlands!! I'm not bigging it up because I don't think I can. It has some nice bits but in general there are nicer bits in the north and south.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
Ok I agree that Derby has little to offer. But (north) Derbyshire is nice.

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:54 AM »
Ok I agree that Derby has little to offer. But (north) Derbyshire is nice.

North Derby is beautiful, I've walked around there many many times. Rutland's quite nice as is North Leicester around Bradgate park.

http://www.bradgatepark.org/index.php?ID=1

I know every inch of that place; I used to walk around it a lot with my grandad.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »
Ok I agree that Derby has little to offer.
Understatement of the century.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »

I suppose they've probably moved on from Arctic Monkeys clones by now, but I don't think I saw anything remotely imaginative back when I attended local band shows regularly.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 05:34:58 AM »

I suppose they've probably moved on from Arctic Monkeys clones by now, but I don't think I saw anything remotely imaginative back when I attended local band shows regularly.

Thank you for noticing this! I stopped going to see small bands from about 2007ish onwards precisely because every band was an even shitter version of an already overrated band. The rise of the Arctic Monkeys parallelled the death of independant music for me.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Luckily, you are both wrong. Thank fuck for that.

Ok I agree that Derby has little to offer.
Understatement of the century.

...Get pissed on the square?

rooster

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
So I bought a travel book of Great Britain and honestly, it's all incredibly beautiful. I really like the looks of the "west country"; Wessex and Devon & Cornwall, more Wessex though. Anyone been to Stourhead?

I suppose any decision won't be a drastic one since travel is so easy there compared to the US. And ugh Wales. IT'S ALL SO BEAUTIFUL, WHY WAS I BORN HERE?!

?

Thork

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
So I bought a travel book of Great Britain and honestly, it's all incredibly beautiful.
Seriously, do you think they'd put the shitty bits in?

I really like the looks of the "west country"; Wessex and Devon & Cornwall, more Wessex though. Anyone been to Stourhead?
Set up in Bristol if you want to live in the West Country. Its a great city and in striking distance of most cool stuff + Wales. You don't want to be in the middle of no where in Cornwall. Its a very long way from anywhere.but the west country is nice. Would be my first choice.

I suppose any decision won't be a drastic one since travel is so easy there compared to the US. And ugh Wales. IT'S ALL SO BEAUTIFUL, WHY WAS I BORN HERE?!
Yeah, lots of people want to live here. That's the problem. *sigh*

rooster

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
True, they wouldn't show off the ugly bits, but Great Britain's landscapes are just more to my liking in general. The only American geography I'm fond of is the Appalachian mountains.

Plus, there's so much history and culture jammed in there. America could use more crumbling abbeys and castles...

EnigmaZV

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »
The only reason it looks so nice is because it rains so often that everything is always lush and green!

I should know because I live in Vancouver where the situation is very similar, only we have things called mountains.

There's a picture of downtown.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
The only reason it looks so nice is because it rains so often that everything is always lush and green!

I should know because I live in Vancouver where the situation is very similar, only we have things called mountains.

It's not all lush and green. London is pretty drab away from the designated parks and Oxford is just shit. I couldn't live somewhere that isn't leafy and nice.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

EnigmaZV

« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
It's not all lush and green. London is pretty drab away from the designated parks and Oxford is just shit. I couldn't live somewhere that isn't leafy and nice.

Well maybe not in the big cities, but once you get out to the country, it's quite nice.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Derailing briefly because I was banned.

I'm not trolling.  I don't mean any offense to the people of Australia, but the government seems determined to make the country as much of a "nanny state" as possible.

Eh, not really. We have a lot of nanny state laws, but the average person doesn't often notice them. If your interests are more specific, then you might face some troubles.

Besides that, the current Government has done a decent enough job of running the country. Nanny state laws have accumulated over a long period, and can't really be attributed to any single Government.

I'd move to Australia if there was any sort of serious academia to be had there.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Australia has some of the best Universities in the world, with great research departments. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

I just want advice on the actual move and such.

Everything here is expensive at the moment. However, Melbourne is supposed to be cheaper than Sydney to live in, but with similar standards. I can't tell you much more than that about Melbourne as I've only been there a handful of times.

rooster

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

Canada is pretty too, but your history is similar to ours which means it's poopsauce.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

Canada is pretty too, but your history is similar to ours which means it's poopsauce.

Our independence was settled in a drunken bar fight, that's not similar at all.

rooster

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »

No, but that's something very specific. Your history is young like ours and is based on colonialism. America does have Mississippian culture, but again that's Indian stuff and more the realm of archaeologists.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

No, but that's something very specific. Your history is young like ours and is based on colonialism. America does have Mississippian culture, but again that's Indian stuff and more the realm of archaeologists.

Castles are cold and drafty. Dark too, kings and lords would weep at how much the common man has compared to what they had.

Rushy

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
Rooster, it sounds more like you want to go on vacation to the UK, not actually live there.  :-\

rooster

« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
Rooster, it sounds more like you want to go on vacation to the UK, not actually live there.  :-\
What would make you think that? Surely it's not the abundance of hatred I have for America and the longing I have to be British.

Rushy

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
What would make you think that? Surely it's not the abundance of hatred I have for America and the longing I have to be British.

You talk about landscapes and such on the level of a tourist. You even talk about their history as if that has any real bearing on present day affairs. It is a very shallow way of thinking and it is disturbing to see you stretch out said thinking over your choice of country. Moving to a foreign country with the intention of living there permanently is a choice that requires a great deal more thought than you seem to be giving it. I'm just pointing out that it appears you are far more interested in sight-seeing than you are of actually living there. If you truly don't want to live where you currently are, I suggest looking around the US. We're (most of) a continent, we have just about every climate you can think of and every landscape. It would be a lot cheaper and easier than perma-touristing the UK.

The overall aura surrounding you decision is child-like "I wanna be diff-rent" emotions. You don't hate America, you just dislike parts of it. Simply take a look over the discussion throughout this thread. Not only do you think things will be better, you literally think the grass is greener in the UK. It is so preposterous that I have to force myself to believe you're not simply trolling.