Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies
?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
I agree about not turning it into US vs. Australia, I was just genuinely curious. Well, best of luck with whatever you end up doing. Your partner should come and you should convince it to come.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

rooster

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
I hate all of you and all of you not-helpful-Brits. I shall be PMing Thork now instead.
/thread

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
I shall be PMing Thork now instead.

Proof that this is all about Thork and has nothing to do with American history or whatnot!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
I thought rooster did not PMs.

rooster

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
I shall be PMing Thork now instead.

Proof that this is all about Thork and has nothing to do with American history or whatnot!
No? Why would I need an excuse to PM Thork when I could just, y'know... do it.

It has a lot to do with American history. I used to be a tour guide at a stupid Civil War house and everyone there was reasonably in love with the Civil War but also super southern and religious. The only aspect of American history I like are Native Americans and that's more a realm for anthropologists/archaeologists. There is the Holocaust Museum in New York, but I don't care to live in this country period. School is far too expensive and people just don't respect academics, particularly history (there's basically no money to be made). If you want to do history right you need to be in the Old World. But it also has a lot to do with me never liking America nor ever feeling American. I mean- I stopped saying the Pledge of Allegiance in middle school.

I corrected myself in that thread jroa. I PMs, I do not PMS.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
Rooster is a traitor to her country!

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
ITT: The demise of the A&A and roosroos relationship

Rushy

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 06:14:47 AM »
If you want to live like a goddess with not much money and hate America, move to Cambodia.  No shit.  I'm thinking about it myself.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »
London is a disgusting place.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 06:53:14 AM »
Come to Australia. It is fucking awesome here.

It is. Despite having numerous things hiding in the undergrowth that will bite or sting you and cause all sorts of discomfort just for the lulz. Oh and of course being the home of Sir Percy The Pedantic.

Also if any Australia based members could see their way clear to pop in to Toowoomba Town Hall on their way to the shops and check that the two photographs of mine that were on display there are still up on the wall I'd be most gratefull.

Dude what. There's pretty much no dangerous wildlife in cities (bears aren't particularly common in Vancouver and they're a lot laxer than the Aussies) and other than that and the bushfires (there's not much bush in the cities either wink wink nudge nudge the women are well-groomed) it's pretty much a paradise. I'd move to Australia if there was any sort of serious academia to be had there.

As for the UK, either live in London or Glasgow. The other cities are either shit or tourist traps (I'm looking at you, Edinburgh and Cambridge) and there's no point ever living in the country here: it's an hour's drive/train away from the city if you want to visit and shit enough that you only visit once.

The tourists avoid Glasgow because of its shitty reputation from the 60's and since the massive push to correct that, it's no longer deserved. There's plenty of cheap housing to be had in nice areas because Glasgow University is sprawled throughout the West End and there's really no point going anywhere not covered by the existing subway system.

North side is for rich families, city centre for rich individuals, South Side for moderately rich families, and the East end is for scum like me. There's no point going west of Kelvingrove or east of Glasgow Green (even then it's a peninsula of niceness into the Gorbals, you can make do with Kelvingrove if you're park-y).

Don't know much about London, spent a total of four days there on strictly pre-defined trips so I didn't get to explore. All I know is you can get nice places for while it attracts oodles of tourists, it's still too big to rely on them.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
Rooster, I bet you could get a house for pretty cheap at Bickenhall Lane, in Birmingham (in England)
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
Birmingham is like London only not retarded. Brummies are also a nice bunch in my experience, whereas Londoners seem to have an air of superiority about them.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
Birmingham is like London only not retarded. Brummies are also a nice bunch in my experience, whereas Londoners seem to have an air of superiority about them.

There's a reason for that, because London is superior to Birmingham. Also, London has the least grating accent.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »
Can we at least agree that scouse is the most grating accent?

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
Absolutely. Also Bristol. I don't know why people think it's nice.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
Thork is going on about the fucking south which is full of curly-haired oddballs.

The North is full of interest. Go there. It is much cheaper.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »
Absolutely. Also Bristol. I don't know why people think it's nice.

I was born in Bristol, I'm glad we moved before I learned to talk.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
My grandma was in australlia diving for manarays, i lerned to throw a boomer ang
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
Nottingham is a brilliant city. Close to the countryside and second only to London in terms of high street shopping. We also have the best crime rate in the country.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

rooster

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
Great, now you're all disagreeing. It doesn't have to be London, that's just the instinctual immigrant thought I suppose.

But here are some considerations.
I like to live more on the outskirts of a city, so nice little townships. If that has to change, no big deal really. I'll probably have to get around mostly by bicycle for awhile until I get used to seeing people on the other side of the road. So locality is key, or proximity to train/subway/whatever (but I do love being close to the countryside). Your minimum wage is better than our own, so that's good. My budget is middle class or even lower middle class over here. And I'd like to live in an area where the people don't completely hate yanks- although again, not a big deal (but a tourist city is fine with me until I become comfortable living in a different country). I've grown up watching a lot of British movies and tv shows so the accents are fine, there are none that really bother me. But I would prefer an accent where people pronounce the entire word, those Cockneys can be tricky sometimes.
I was looking at some dinky places around London yesterday and your ghetto looks so much better than our ghetto. So um, just try not to suggest any truly shady places cause I honestly can't tell and I might possibly be living as a single woman so...

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
Here's a nice township http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkhamsted
and the train has a station there to take ya where you please
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

rooster

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Thanks, Ichi.  :)
Something like that is perfect.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
Don't live in Glasgow.

Bristol is nice. Canterbury is really nice too, not too long a train ride from London and its a really nice small city and lots of nice villages nearby.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
Thanks, Ichi.  :)
Something like that is perfect.
Np. Used to stay at the King's Arms there. It has new owners now and I guess it's even nicer.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
Great, now you're all disagreeing. It doesn't have to be London, that's just the instinctual immigrant thought I suppose.

I like to live more on the outskirts of a city, so nice little townships. If that has to change, no big deal really. I'll probably have to get around mostly by bicycle for awhile until I get used to seeing people on the other side of the road. So locality is key, or proximity to train/subway/whatever (but I do love being close to the countryside). Your minimum wage is better than our own, so that's good. My budget is middle class or even lower middle class over here. And I'd like to live in an area where the people don't completely hate yanks- although again, not a big deal (but a tourist city is fine with me until I become comfortable living in a different country). I've grown up watching a lot of British movies and tv shows so the accents are fine, there are none that really bother me. But I would prefer an accent where people pronounce the entire word, those Cockneys can be tricky sometimes.
I was looking at some dinky places around London yesterday and your ghetto looks so much better than our ghetto. So um, just try not to suggest any truly shady places cause I honestly can't tell and I might possibly be living as a single woman so...

Do you have a budget in mind? Striking the right cheap:shady ratio is difficult.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
Australlia is worse than the metric system
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

rooster

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

Do you have a budget in mind? Striking the right cheap:shady ratio is difficult.
I really don't have a great budget in mind. Not only have I not even thought about a job type, but I'm not familiar at all with England's economy or day-to-day living expenses. I can only tell you that I've never lived in a shady place and that in America I'm probably on the lower middle class spectrum, but not lower class. For example, the apartment A&A and I live in right now costs about $800 a month but we split rent of course. So probably just like an average township; nothing fancy and nothing shady.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
Do you have any English friends you could visit with first to get an idea of what's what?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »
Unless you have a metric bucketload of money, don't move to anywhere connected to the London underground or overground network, it's eye-wateringly expensive and because they're commuter towns, the souls are sucked dry from them.

Come up to the Midlands, Birmingham, for instance. It's within easy travel of London, close to some beautiful countryside in the Malverns and the Lickeys and is comparatively affordable. If you want a town on the edge of the city, then try Solihull, Sutton, or Erdington. Mosley is also a good shout, especially for arty and student types.

Basically:

Come to Brum!