Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies

rooster

Calling All Brits
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
Tell this yank about living in England.

I graduate this winter and am looking to jump the pond in about a year (give or take). What is an average price range? Where is a decent place to live relatively close to London? And other random tidbits cause I'm completely ignorant at this point.

Supertails

• what do i put here
Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »
Why?
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
In before this turns into another America vs. Britain thread.

Rushy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
In before this turns into another America vs. Britain thread.

Incorrect.

rooster

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
Why?
Why what? Why am I moving? Because I hate America. Because I'm a historian that hates American history. Because I might possibly try to attend grad school in England.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Why?
Why what? Why am I moving? Because I hate America. Because I'm a historian that hates American history. Because I might possibly try to attend grad school in England.
Why do you think it'll be better over there? Also, is A&A going?
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
She's obviously going in the hopes of meeting Thork.

rooster

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
Why?
Why do you think it'll be better over there? Also, is A&A going?
Well I prefer European history... And I've wanted to leave for a long time now. England might just be a stepping stone to another country, I don't know yet.
I'm not entirely sure if he'd come with me yet. He has expressed interest in moving out of the country and he has family in England.

Let's really not turn this into an USA vs UK thread. I just want advice on the actual move and such.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Well I prefer European history...

Such as popularizing of the slave trade, the pillaging of the planet, the holocaust, financial collapse, both world wars,  an obscene amount of language barriers, the crusades, the inquisition, the spread of narrow religions, etc.

Yeah, they're so nice.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
I agree about not turning it into US vs. UK, I was just genuinely curious. Well, best of luck with whatever you end up doing. A&A should come along and you should convince him to come along.
Recently listened to:

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
It's the greatest place ever, please go now.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
It's the greatest place ever, please go now.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

rooster

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Well I prefer European history...

the holocaust, both world wars

Yeah, they're so nice.
Yes.
Now if I can get some Brits to help me then I will go.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »
Come to Australia. It is fucking awesome here.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »

Don't do it, it's a trap!  Australia is the worst first-world country on the planet!
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »
I will be moving to Aussieland in the next year or two, so if you go we will be even closer to an FES meetup.
Recently listened to:

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

Don't do it, it's a trap!  Australia is the worst first-world country on the planet!
Stop making this into a Australia vs the rest of the world thread.   >:(
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
I will be moving to Aussieland in the next year or two

Why?
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

It is. Despite having numerous things hiding in the undergrowth that will bite or sting you and cause all sorts of discomfort just for the lulz. Oh and of course being the home of Sir Percy The Pedantic.

Also if any Australia based members could see their way clear to pop in to Toowoomba Town Hall on their way to the shops and check that the two photographs of mine that were on display there are still up on the wall I'd be most gratefull.
Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Why?
Why what? Why am I moving? Because I want out of America. Because I'm an artist(?) that wants to move out by my partner. Because I might possibly try to get a career going in Melbourne.
Recently listened to:

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
Why?
Why what? Why am I moving? Because I want out of America. Because I'm an artist(?) that wants to move out by my partner. Because I might possibly try to get a career going in Melbourne.

Why do you think it'll be better over there? Also, is your partner gay?
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

Thork

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
London is a dumb. What kind of history do you like?

Bath is a frickin' awesome city and is full of Roman history, erm, like the baths there. Is expensive but stunning place to live.

If you are into Druid history you need to head out west towards Stonehenge et al. I'd recommend Bristol as an A1 city to live in having lived 5 years there myself. Glastonbury is close. So lots of ancient Celtic history there + a nice concert. Bristol would be a good base. Also easy to hop over the bridge to Wales and the Wye Valley. Most beautiful part of UK imho. Also all Brunel's history is there such as his bridges and railways and the SS Great Britain etc etc. Bristol would be my pick. Good night life too.

Oxford. Quiet but has a student life (obviously). Has all the libraries and bookshops a scholar might want + the dreaming spires is a one off English city.

Listen, there are lots of nice places to live in England but few of them are in London.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:24:44 PM by Thork »

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »
Why?
Why do you think it'll be better over there? Also, is your partner gay?
Well I prefer Australian artists... And I've wanted to leave for a long time now. Melbourne might just be a stepping stone to another country, I don't know yet.
I'm not entirely sure if they're gay yet. They have expressed interest in being gay and they have family in in Melbourne.

Let's really not turn this into an USA vs Australia thread. I just want advice on the actual move and such.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »
Thork is here to save the day! The rest of you are ruining my thread.  >:(

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
Australia really is an awful country - or to be fair, its government is awful.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »

It is. Despite having numerous things hiding in the undergrowth that will bite or sting you and cause all sorts of discomfort just for the lulz. Oh and of course being the home of Sir Percy The Pedantic.

Also if any Australia based members could see their way clear to pop in to Toowoomba Town Hall on their way to the shops and check that the two photographs of mine that were on display there are still up on the wall I'd be most gratefull.
I would but I am on the other side of the country.

Also, I am ignoring Saddam's pitiful display of attempting to troll people just now.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Australia really is an awful country - or to be fair, its government is awful.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
Screw you all, we're not talking about Australia!  >o<

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
I'm not trolling.  I don't mean any offense to the people of Australia, but the government seems determined to make the country as much of a "nanny state" as possible.

rooster

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
I'm not trolling.  I don't mean any offense to the people of Australia, but the government seems determined to make the country as much of a "nanny state" as possible.
Then go make your own thread about it, fu-face.