Calling All Brits

• 271 Replies

rooster

Re: Calling All Brits
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »
Rooster, it sounds more like you want to go on vacation to the UK, not actually live there.  :-\
What would make you think that? Surely it's not the abundance of hatred I have for America and the longing I have to be British.

You talk about landscapes and such on the level of a tourist. You even talk about their history as if that has any real bearing on present day affairs. It is a very shallow way of thinking and it is disturbing to see you stretch out said thinking over your choice of country. Moving to a foreign country with the intention of living there permanently is a choice that requires a great deal more thought than you seem to be giving it. I'm just pointing out that it appears you are far more interested in sight-seeing than you are of actually living there. If you truly don't want to live where you currently are, I suggest looking around the US. We're (most of) a continent, we have just about every climate you can think of and every landscape. It would be a lot cheaper and easier than perma-touristing the UK.

The overall aura surrounding you decision is child-like "I wanna be diff-rent" emotions. You don't hate America, you just dislike parts of it. Simply take a look over the discussion throughout this thread. Not only do you think things will be better, you literally think the grass is greener in the UK. It is so preposterous that I have to force myself to believe you're not simply trolling.
Wut. History is important. Or have you totally skipped over the whole history degree/career thing?

And I've only said it's beautiful, I never said everything would be better over there. How am I supposed to know something like that?

PS: America blows
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:34:02 PM by rooster »

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
Just to remind you, Sheffield is the greenest city in Europe.

« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
So I bought a travel book of Great Britain and honestly, it's all incredibly beautiful.
Seriously, do you think they'd put the shitty bits in?

I really like the looks of the "west country"; Wessex and Devon & Cornwall, more Wessex though. Anyone been to Stourhead?
Set up in Bristol if you want to live in the West Country. Its a great city and in striking distance of most cool stuff + Wales. You don't want to be in the middle of no where in Cornwall. Its a very long way from anywhere.but the west country is nice. Would be my first choice.

I suppose any decision won't be a drastic one since travel is so easy there compared to the US. And ugh Wales. IT'S ALL SO BEAUTIFUL, WHY WAS I BORN HERE?!
Yeah, lots of people want to live here. That's the problem. *sigh*

Exeter's not a bad city to stay in either but I'd recommend Bristol as well, I lived there for about 4 years and the night life is brilliant, it's also very close to Bath.

I have some relatives who live in Ottery St Mary (my grandmas from there), I'd recommend going to that area for a visit. Don't forget Scotland that's a pretty nice place as well. I quite liked St Andrews but it would be better if it wasn't so 'golf tourist' orientated.

Also don't be deceived by the tourist books, there are some really shitty places in the UK as well. It's not all beautiful countryside.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Bradford is in fact beautiful countryside

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
It's not all lush and green. London is pretty drab away from the designated parks and Oxford is just shit. I couldn't live somewhere that isn't leafy and nice.

Well maybe not in the big cities, but once you get out to the country, it's quite nice.

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield, and Aberdeen to a lesser extent are fairly verdant, and Cambridge feels like a more populous Hogwarts.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »
It's not all lush and green. London is pretty drab away from the designated parks and Oxford is just shit. I couldn't live somewhere that isn't leafy and nice.

Well maybe not in the big cities, but once you get out to the country, it's quite nice.

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield, and Aberdeen to a lesser extent are fairly verdant, and Cambridge feels like a more populous Hogwarts.

Oxfords not shit!!

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »
I went punting on the Thames and had a little picnic there last year, it was lovely.

It's very university centric though, a great deal of its history is Oxford Uni.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
I went punting on the Thames and had a little picnic there last year, it was lovely.

I was always told that Oxford is a university built around a town while Cambridge is a town built around a university.

And Oxford is also shit. The trees are all in cages, the grass is exclusively in quads and the homeless there are better dressed than I was.

« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »

I was always told that Oxford is a university built around a town while Cambridge is a town built around a university.

And Oxford is also shit. The trees are all in cages, the grass is exclusively in quads and the homeless there are better dressed than I was.

So which city do you think is good?

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
The ones I said before are certainly more pleasant places to be, particularly in summer.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
The West Country is very nice, it produces Gayers
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
If you go to Sheffield you get to suck my penis

rooster

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
no thank you

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
no thank you

On the positive side there would be no pubes to get stuck between your teeth.

Dark clouds an silver linings an that is all I'm saying.
Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
Lol  :). tick tock, tick tock.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

rooster

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY THREAD YOU USELESS MERKAN

So no one has been to Stourhead?

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »

GTFO of merica you useless merican.

PS I know you're not going anywhere.
God is real.                                         

rooster

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
PS I know you're not going anywhere.
Why do people think that? It's not like people don't leave countries.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
Yes, people do leave. You are a young starry eyed girl, you will end up staying in merica. It is better here anyway.
God is real.                                         

Rushy

« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
When you go to Britain they're going to make fun of you for having healthy teeth.

rooster

« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
Yes, people do leave. You are a young starry eyed girl, you will end up staying in merica. It is better here anyway.
I'm a 23 year old bitter American looking to start a history career (get this) with a focus on European history. So cray cray, us kids.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
I'm a 23 year old bitter American looking to start a history career (get this) with a focus on European history. So cray cray, us kids.
mhm. gotcha.

rooster

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
mhm. gotcha.
you suck at trolling dan

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
mhm. gotcha.
you suck at trolling dan
mhm. gotcha.
you suck at trolling dan
Huh? No troll. I just don't think you have any chance of doing this, and I think you know it. Anti-American is all the rage. Go blah blah blah on now.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
Have you ever been to Britain before, rooster?

rooster

« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
I've already stated the answer to that question. Unless you have anything relevant to add, I suggest you stop mucking up my thread.

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »

Never been to Stourhead, but I have been to Bath, Chippenham, Sailsbury and Ottery St Mary, it's not a bad area. It's very close to Stonehenge. The only thing that lets it down is that it's not very central so if you want to see other bits of the UK it's harder to get to, but I guess that doesn't matter because you're used to driving long distances in America.

If I were to come over here I'd probably go and live in that area as well.

Also, whether this is a bad or a good thing, it's relatively close to where I live. I live in the south Cotswolds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotswolds) which has some nice historic towns.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »
Actually, I'd think about Northumberland. Nice people and countryside, just God help you if you're seen wearing a coat.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
I've already stated the answer to that question. Unless you have anything relevant to add, I suggest you stop mucking up my thread.

???

I'll just back away slowly.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:32:59 AM by Saddam Hussein »