The Spherical Earth Model

• 77 Replies
?

burt

The Spherical Earth Model
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
I want to know what is wrong with The Spherical Earth Model. What I don't want is a discussion of the conspiracy that supresses The Flat Earth Model (because this all based on assuming that it is flat in the first place, in which case nasa would by lying, a neat logical inference). Although this could be seen as bad move, it is more about taking the politics and putting it to the side, and concentrainting completely on the model itself: what discrepencies does it have? and why do you think it is empirically incorrect?

I am going to anticipate a move, which is "look around" ok, I agree, it seems flat (albiet uneven). though, I am not convinced yet:  are there any more discrepencies in the model?

Re: The Spherical Earth Model
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
are there any more discrepencies in the model?

No.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »
conspiracy that supresses The Flat Earth Model (because this all based on assuming that it is flat in the first place, in which case nasa would by lying, a neat logical inference).

The Conspiracy isn't suppressing the Flat Earth Model. It's hoaxing space travel. The earth is portrayed as round because at the time of NASA's creation everyone already believed that it was round.

?

burt

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
Tom Bishop, thank you for your reply; now you have cleared that up, what  are the  discrepencies in the The Spherical Earth Model?

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Tom Bishop, thank you for your reply; now you have cleared that up, what  are the  discrepencies in the The Spherical Earth Model?

Everything needed in order to suport that statement, such as agreeing and being against relativity
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »

Read Earth Not a Globe.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Read Earth Not a Globe.
No.

Hello! Your voice and vote had been revoked. If you are having an issue, please assist to a spiritual meeting and contact Dr. Rowbotham. Or read EnaG
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
Read Earth Not a Globe.

Is there a specific point you would like to bring forward? Personally I feel like asking someone to read the entire article is a bit much, but if you were to point out an argument from it, and support it by referring us to that section, I feel like it would be a better way to further the discussion.

I don't mean to say that your article isn't worth reading, but asking you asking burt to read "Earth Not a Globe" is akin to myself asking you to read Isaac Asimov's "How did We Find out the Earth is Round?"

By the way, if you believe in the idea that the Earth is round, then Isaac Asimov's work is very helpful in defending your case
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:19:51 PM by spaghetti »

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
Isaac Asimov is a great author. Is it possible that you can link me to a free e-book version of that Asimov book?

I believe there is a picture in one of the versions of the bible or a round earth. Hm.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
Gladly: http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/earthpix.pdf
Let me know what you think of it. It's not terribly long (16 pages) but I found it really well written

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
I have a lot of Asimov books, but I can't find the Foundation series anywhere. ANYWHERE. I read Foundation's edge, and now I want to read the rest.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »
I love him as an author as well, and I really want to get more into his books. Perhaps we shouldn't discuss this here; it's getting quite off topic

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »
Yes, yes it is. So like the OP asked, what is wrong with a spherical earth?

Rushy

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »

The Earth does not appear to be spherical.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »

It does

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »
By the way, if you believe in the idea that the Earth is round, then Isaac Asimov's work is very helpful in defending your case

"Feynman's Lost Lecture" is also worth reading.  It's a geometric proof of Kepler's and Newton's laws of planetary motion, and, by consequence, a proof of elliptical orbits, using only simple plane geometry and trigonometry.  If anyone is genuinely interested in reading it, I''ll try and host it.
Also, the people on your websites are specifically framing their claims, not to learn the truth of the matter, but because they want to "debunk" Apollo Hoax claims --

Rushy

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »

It does

Then we are at an impasse. Have a pleasant day.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
You have this terrible habit of saying very small statements and then never explaining them. If you ask a RET they will gladly give proof for why they believe the Earth is round, so you should at least provide some sort of evidence to support your claim.

Also, if you say the whole "look out your window" thing again I might just lose sanity

I''ll try and host it.
Please do

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »

It does

Then we are at an impasse. Have a pleasant day.

Our mutual disagreement thus far does indeed leave us with no progress.

And I will, thank you.

?

burt

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »

Also, if you say the whole "look out your window" thing again I might just lose sanity

which is a necessary but not sufficient condition for believing FET. walk cautiously now...

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 08:21:11 AM »
I would not say loosing sanity is necessary for believe FET. There were many ancient cultures that believed that the earth was flat, and they had many scientific models showing it to be so. For their level of technology and very advanced mathematics (in some cases more so than ours), it made perfect sense. There were also other ancient civilization who believed the Earth to be round. With the age of modern rocket technology and the coming of single-stage-to-orbit craft, the proving or disproving of a flat earth to all becomes more and more likely with every year. Space flight becomes cheaper and cheaper (although the average person can still not afford a private flight), and so in time more and more people will be willing to go. Those who ignorantly believe these trips are a hoax will choose not to go out of stubborn ignorance. Those who truthfully seek proof and evidence may choose to take these flights and see for themselves. That may have been slightly off topic, but I'm trying to show that a belief in flat earth does not necessitate insanity. It may necessitate ignorance, or it may necessitate a strong desire to go against the grain, or it may even necessitate a brilliant, imaginative mind.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I would not say loosing sanity is necessary for believe FET. There were many ancient cultures that believed that the earth was flat, and they had many scientific models showing it to be so. For their level of technology and very advanced mathematics (in some cases more so than ours), it made perfect sense. There were also other ancient civilization who believed the Earth to be round. With the age of modern rocket technology and the coming of single-stage-to-orbit craft, the proving or disproving of a flat earth to all becomes more and more likely with every year. Space flight becomes cheaper and cheaper (although the average person can still not afford a private flight), and so in time more and more people will be willing to go. Those who ignorantly believe these trips are a hoax will choose not to go out of stubborn ignorance. Those who truthfully seek proof and evidence may choose to take these flights and see for themselves. That may have been slightly off topic, but I'm trying to show that a belief in flat earth does not necessitate insanity. It may necessitate ignorance, or it may necessitate a strong desire to go against the grain, or it may even necessitate a brilliant, imaginative mind.

It necessitates a strong will to turn down countless and hard evidences.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
I have yet to see a photgraph that conclusively proofs absolute curvurture.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »

Yes it does. As does ignorance, and stubborness. You can't tell me you have to be insane to believe the Earth is flat. That's like saying you need to eat a banana to take a comfortable shit.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »
I have yet to see a photgraph that conclusively proofs absolute curvurture.

Yes it does. As does ignorance, and stubborness. You can't tell me you have to be insane to believe the Earth is flat. That's like saying you need to eat a banana to take a comfortable shit.

Need I say more?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
I agreed with you. Doesn't mean iwanttobelieve is insane though. Possibly there's a problem with his eyes. Or, like you said:

?

BoatswainsMate

• You just been Tom Bishop'ed
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
Maybe we can use the word, sheltered? As in " that poor boy has been so sheltered his whole life he believes the Earth is flat!"

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
I suppose that could work in some cases.

?

BoatswainsMate

• You just been Tom Bishop'ed
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
I agree some, but not all. Maybe the other cases could be dismissed as delusional. We are all delusional about something at some point.