Proof that Earth is not flat

• 51 Replies
Proof that Earth is not flat
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
If Earth were not an oblate spheroid (which is the overwhelming, if not unanimous belief of the scientific community), planes would not be able to accurately gauge their location. The curvature of Earth is fundamentally crucial in plane GPS systems. If Earth were flat, GPS would be incredibly inaccurate, and planes would not reach their destination.

But planes do, therefore Earth is not flat. More information here: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/gislis96.html

Further proof: objects at the equator are heavier than objects elsewhere on Earth. This would not make sense in a flat-earth model, therefore Earth is not flat.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:51:30 PM by Voyaging »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Proof that Earth is not flat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
FYI, I removed your identical post in the other thread.  We discourage duplicate posting here.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
FYI, I removed your identical post in the other thread.  We discourage duplicate posting here.

I had removed the sections of that post that correlated with this one. The deletion was unnecessary, as that post had entirely different content than this.

Rushy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
If Earth were not an oblate spheroid (which is the overwhelming, if not unanimous belief of the scientific community), planes would not be able to accurately gauge their location. The curvature of Earth is fundamentally crucial in plane GPS systems. If Earth were flat, GPS would be incredibly inaccurate, and planes would not reach their destination.

Incorrect. This is as biased and silly as the fellow who claimed GPS only works with satellites. Also, it does not constitute as evidence. You can not say "this would not work on a flat
Earth, because the Earth is round." You are self-validating, which is fallacious.

Further proof: objects at the equator are heavier than objects elsewhere on Earth. This would not make sense in a flat-earth model, therefore Earth is not flat.

Well, for one, RET claims you will weigh less at the equator, not more. Second, no, that doesn't really happen. "This object weighs 0.001 here than it does on the north pole!" is not valid in any way, shape, or form.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »

Incorrect. This is as biased and silly as the fellow who claimed GPS only works with satellites. Also, it does not constitute as evidence. You can not say "this would not work on a flat
Earth, because the Earth is round." You are self-validating, which is fallacious.

As a pilot, I should presume my expertise on the workings of GPS systems are vastly superior to yours and your claim that GPS does not rely on our accurate assessment of the curvature of Earth is, quite simply, false. I daresay you have no idea at all how aircraft GPS systems work.

Well, for one, RET claims you will weigh less at the equator, not more. Second, no, that doesn't really happen. "This object weighs 0.001 here than it does on the north pole!" is not valid in any way, shape, or form.

My mistake, but regardless the weight changes. The difference is non-arbitrary (an object weighing 1000g at a pole will weigh roughly 996g at the equator). Do you also reject that scales work properly?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:16:05 PM by Voyaging »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »

I had removed the sections of that post that correlated with this one. The deletion was unnecessary, as that post had entirely different content than this.

No, they were exactly the same (I saw them, remember?)  Also disputing moderation in this subforum is against the rules; please make a thread in Suggestions and Concerns if you wish to discuss this further.

Rushy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
As a pilot, I should presume my expertise on the workings of GPS systems are vastly superior to yours and your claim that GPS does not rely on our accurate assessment of the curvature of Earth is, quite simply, false. I daresay you have no idea at all how aircraft GPS systems work.

A GPS in a car works just like GPS in a Cessna. In fact, the car GPS is more accurate. Also, an appeal to authority fallacy, and a terrible one at that.

My mistake, but regardless the weight changes. The difference is non-arbitrary (an object weighing 1000g at a pole will weigh roughly 996g at the equator). Do you also reject that scales work properly?

It is assumed that because the Earth is round, the weight changes. No one has ever done a controlled experiment to test normal force changes varying from the north pole to the equator. You quite literally made it up.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

No, they were exactly the same (I saw them, remember?)  Also disputing moderation in this subforum is against the rules; please make a thread in Suggestions and Concerns if you wish to discuss this further.

Well you're wrong, because I modified the post (it was one-line and I have recreated it). I transferred some of the information to this new thread then deleted it from the post.

A GPS in a car works just like GPS in a Cessna. In fact, the car GPS is more accurate. Also, an appeal to authority fallacy, and a terrible one at that.

No, it doesn't, which was why the fact that I understand GPS and you don't is very relevant. If we had an argument about whether or not a Greek passage said a certain thing, but only one of us spoke Greek, that person is vastly more likely to be correct.

The GPS must take into account the curvature of Earth to prevent profound inaccuracy.

It is assumed that because the Earth is round, the weight changes. No one has ever done a controlled experiment to test normal force changes varying from the north pole to the equator. You quite literally made it up.

It  has been done and I will find sources.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
No, it doesn't, which was why the fact that I understand GPS and you don't is very relevant. If we had an argument about whether or not a Greek passage said a certain thing, but only one of us spoke Greek, that person is vastly more likely to be correct.

GPS' don't need to take any curvature into account. Why would they? They are simply performing advanced triangulation. Also, pilots are just glorified truck drivers. You don't know any more about how that GPS works than a man driving an 18-wheeler knows the exact operations of a diesel engine.

The GPS must take into account the curvature of Earth to prevent profound inaccuracy.

Incorrect.

It  has been done and I will find sources.

I'll take this as a concession until such a time arrives.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »

Again, please note that there is a forum for this kind of thing and consider this a warning.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »

GPS' don't need to take any curvature into account. Why would they? They are simply performing advanced triangulation. Also, pilots are just glorified truck drivers. You don't know any more about how that GPS works than a man driving an 18-wheeler knows the exact operations of a diesel engine.

The angles of triangulation on a spheroid are far different than they are on a flat surface.

Your statement about pilots is demeaning of your own character as you are clearly ignorant to the knowledge that pilots must have to operate their navigation systems (which work far differently than you seem to think). This is irrelevant to the argument, just wanted to make the statement.

Again, please note that there is a forum for this kind of thing and consider this a warning.

Gotcha.

Rushy

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »
Your statement about pilots is demeaning of your own character as you are clearly ignorant to the knowledge that pilots must have to operate their navigation systems (which work far differently than you seem to think). This is irrelevant to the argument, just wanted to make the statement.

The only evidence you have provided so far seems to comprise of "I know more than you do" and "you're just wrong!" Fascinating, to say the least.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

The only evidence you have provided so far seems to comprise of "I know more than you do" and "you're just wrong!" Fascinating, to say the least.

My statement that triangulation works differently on a spheroid than a flat surface, and the fact that GPS systems use triangulation is not evidence? You admitted yourself that GPS systems use triangulation. Are you arguing with geometric fact?

Rushy

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »

My statement that triangulation works differently on a spheroid than a flat surface, and the fact that GPS systems use triangulation is not evidence? You admitted yourself that GPS systems use triangulation. Are you arguing with geometric fact?

The triangulation does not require any supposed curvature. That is why it is called triangulation, it uses trigonometry. Good luck finding the very sought after "curved triangle".

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

The triangulation does not require any supposed curvature. That is why it is called triangulation, it uses trigonometry. Good luck finding the very sought after "curved triangle".

Thanks, but I don't need luck, the mathematicians and designers of aircraft GPS systems did the work for us by determining how triangles work on spherical or spheroidal objects. Do some research on spherical and elliptic geometry.

Rushy

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Good luck finding the very sought after "curved triangle".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_trigonometry

Ah, so the GPS satellites use signals that go straight through the Earth? Are you sure you know what you posted?

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
Good luck finding the very sought after "curved triangle".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_trigonometry

Ah, so the GPS satellites use signals that go straight through the Earth? Are you sure you know what you posted?

No, they don't. I believe you are the one unable to understand it.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
GPS' don't need to take any curvature into account. Why would they? They are simply performing advanced triangulation.

Just as an FYI, GPS does not use triangulation.  It uses trilateration. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
GPS' don't need to take any curvature into account. Why would they? They are simply performing advanced triangulation.

Just as an FYI, GPS does not use triangulation.  It uses trilateration. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration

Ah this is in fact correct, thank you.

Are you a proponent of FET?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »

I'm a proponent of the truth.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

I'm a proponent of the truth.

Which is why I ask what you consider the truth of the shape of Earth to be.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »
Apparently, there are individuals who don't understand how GPS's work. Just as a simple method of explanation, a GPS finds your location when there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites. I fail to see how this would be possible with a flat earth. Without a spherical body to orbit, a satellite could not remain in space, and the entire system would not work.

This is as biased and silly as the fellow who claimed GPS only works with satellites

Please elaborate

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
If you think GPS would work without satellites, please explain how.

In the mean time, I will offer an explanations. Towers, the height of which was in excess of 30 km. I have not seen any of these around, and they would have to be quite bulky to support themselves at that height. Seems like a hard thing to keep hidden.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

?

Art

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
It interests me that every GPS manufacturer has to be in on the conspiracy. Not just the US government.
If the GPS system relied on Earth based towers, it would never be able to determine the user's elevation (valid 3D position fix).
Also, the towers would have to cover the Earth completely.

RET:0 - FET:0

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 01:43:28 AM »
It interests me that every GPS manufacturer has to be in on the conspiracy. Not just the US government.
If the GPS system relied on Earth based towers, it would never be able to determine the user's elevation (valid 3D position fix).

And the sea.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

BoatswainsMate

• You just been Tom Bishop'ed
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 01:47:45 AM »

And the sea.

If I remember correctly, FE has said (Tom more specifically, dont quote me on that can't remember exactly) that the LORAN-C towers where used. That is flase though because LORAN-C towers are all shut down and not in use anymore (at least in the united states)

DGPS does use any tower that can receive and send a signal to give a more accurate position. Still, GPS is a pretty straight forward system. Not hard to see how it works and why it must use satellites.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »

And the sea.

If I remember correctly, FE has said (Tom more specifically, dont quote me on that can't remember exactly) that the LORAN-C towers where used. That is flase though because LORAN-C towers are all shut down and not in use anymore (at least in the united states)

DGPS does use any tower that can receive and send a signal to give a more accurate position. Still, GPS is a pretty straight forward system. Not hard to see how it works and why it must use satellites.

Loran-C was decommissioned and was likely upgraded to eLoran, which can simulate GPS signals.

http://www.insidegnss.com/node/1571

Among the IAT’s key findings: “eLoran is the only cost-effective backup for national needs; it is completely interoperable with and independent of GPS, with different propagation and failure mechanisms, plus significantly superior robustness to radio frequency interference and jamming.”
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:17:14 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

And the sea.

Loran-C was decommissioned and was likely upgraded to eLoran, which can simulate GPS signals.

http://www.insidegnss.com/node/1571

Among the IAT’s key findings: “eLoran is the only cost-effective backup for national needs; it is completely interoperable with and independent of GPS, with different propagation and failure mechanisms, plus significantly superior robustness to radio frequency interference and jamming.”

Why don't you read the article before posting? eLoran isn't used actually for GPS signals. Its satellites. You know things high in the sky that a lot of people can detect but you.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »

It's pretty clear you haven't read this yet. It's not as ludicrous as you think. I'm also confused by your assumption that the U.S. government would be the ones in charge of this conspiracy. I'm not really sure what they have to do with anything.

As for your second point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite This is referred to in the F.A.Q. as well. Towers DO cover the Earth, and with these towers, you can effectively achieve the exact same result. If satellites were so incredibly important, why do companies like Ericcson and Cisco spend so much money on building towers and ground-based infrastructure and not invest solely in satellites?

~D-Draw